Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

We've conceded 56 goals this season, 10 more than last season and likely to concede again at Palace. Obviously Kamara's injury hasn't helped our defence so a defensive midfielder is absolutely crucial. Konsa isn't a right back but keeps playing there so again a right back is absolutely essential.

I think:

MUST BUY (if we don't buy in these positions something has gone wrong)

• Defensive midfielder
  • Right back

SHOULD BUY (nice to haves if there is enough budget and we can move certain players out)

• Younger centre half (aerially dominant, aggressive and good on the ball) to replace Carlos
  • Younger left back to replace Moreno or Digne

COULD BUY (to freshen up the attacking positions and bring something new, would be good to do this but only once we've improved the defence)

• Attacking midfielder/winger
  • Like 4

just seen a report linking us with Denzel Dumfries.......Now that's the sort of game changing defender, that would suit us.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

just seen a report linking us with Denzel Dumfries.......Now that's the sort of game changing defender, that would suit us.

a lot of people are saying he is a better matty cash, is that really what we need!?!?

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

We've conceded 56 goals this season, 10 more than last season and likely to concede again at Palace. Obviously Kamara's injury hasn't helped our defence so a defensive midfielder is absolutely crucial. Konsa isn't a right back but keeps playing there so again a right back is absolutely essential.

I think:

MUST BUY (if we don't buy in these positions something has gone wrong)

• Defensive midfielder
  • Right back

SHOULD BUY (nice to haves if there is enough budget and we can move certain players out)

• Younger centre half (aerially dominant, aggressive and good on the ball) to replace Carlos
  • Younger left back to replace Moreno or Digne

COULD BUY (to freshen up the attacking positions and bring something new, would be good to do this but only once we've improved the defence)

• Attacking midfielder/winger

It was interesting to see Quansah showcase his aerial abilities, (up front) last night........we have been missing this since Laursen.

• Like 1

With quite a few outs presumably. It’s going to be a fascinating summer in terms of replacements. I think getting CL has shifted our available targets. What an exciting summer ahead. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

It was interesting to see Quansah showcase his aerial abilities, (up front) last night........we have been missing this since Laursen.

Tbf Hause is great aerial defender as is Mings … 

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Tbf Hause is great aerial defender as is Mings … 

yes he is, but at our level, you need more than one attribute.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

a lot of people are saying he is a better matty cash, is that really what we need!?!?

The fact Unai keeps playing konsa at right back and at Villareal played Foyth at right back shows what he wants to do with that position (and it’s not a wing back)

3 hours ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

I thought Bafode Diakite was really good against us for Lille. He's played a lot at RB (and even a bit at LB). He was good at bringing the ball out as well as strong defensively. His goalscoring record this season is pretty crazy and speaks to how good he is in the air. He seems to be a perfect fit for what we need there primarily, with Nedeljkovic or KKH competing for the secondary attacking RB role. 

Was going to post the same, Diakite was good against us and seemingly fits the system perfectly. He’s a bit under the radar not linked with anyone else, Unai showed with Rogers he’ll look at players we’ve played against so maybe he could repeat the trick with Diakite

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

The fact Unai keeps playing konsa at right back and at Villareal played Foyth at right back shows what he wants to do with that position (and it’s not a wing back)

But if the rumoured deal for Hermoso is true - then I think maybe Unai likes a full back who attacks, and a full back who is solid in defence. But we need to be able to adapt which side we are solid on and which we attack. 

We have Konsa for the RB who is solid in defence; we need a LB who is similar - so Hermoso.
We have Digne and Moreno who can attack at LB; Cash is the only one at RB, and he isn't good enough for us now, IMO.

I think Digne is shattered, as he hasn't been able to rotate much this season, so perhaps LB is OK for next season and doesn't warrant investment with limited funds. 
Definitely need a better option at RB. This might be Kosta, or we need to buy. 

I think Cash is sellable this summer, and we'd get a good enough fee to make a difference to our budget.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Before we got Pau, I was sure we'd be in for Foyth.  We may yet still.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

It would make good sense if we can sign him for say £25m and we find a buyer for Cash around £20m we are booking a £16m profit on Cash and Dumfries on a 5 year deal is 5m per season cost. For FFP we are +£11m while strengthening our RB position.  

5 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

RB and DM for me and maybe a quality CH as think a few may leave.

Totally agree brother. I’d add in left back too and flick Digne. Moreno on a lot less wages. Digne has done a tremendous job this year but he’s way too slow in covering unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Does anyone know realistically where we are with FFP this summer? Will we have to make a big sale or not?

There are 2 questions.

1) do we need to make a sale before end of June to stay within PSR, the answer is no our on field performance has boosted prize money by about £20-25m vs last season. 

2) Will we need a sale this summer, I think we don't need to but we will want to. If we can sell a couple of first team players along with the other players we want to move on anyway. Then we will give ourselves the headroom to make signings

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

There are 2 questions.

1) do we need to make a sale before end of June to stay within PSR, the answer is no our on field performance has boosted prize money by about £20-25m vs last season. 

2) Will we need a sale this summer, I think we don't need to but we will want to. If we can sell a couple of first team players along with the other players we want to move on anyway. Then we will give ourselves the headroom to make signings

When you say "sell a couple of first team players", are we talking £20m-ish for the likes of Cash/Carlos etc or £100m-ish for the likes of Martinez/Luiz etc?

Are we basically in a position that if we want to spend say £80m+ on two new players, we need to first bring in £80m+ or could we feasibly be okay to do that by selling a couple of £20m players?

CL qualification will mean there will be little to worry about concerning FFP.

In addition there will be several outs with wages off the books such as the loan signings.

I also think Luiz could be sacrificed if needed to bring in better but I’d expect a very busy summer at the Villa if CL is achieved.

Â