Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Palace have made some very astute signings from the Championship - Eze, Olise and Wharton for a combined £40-45m is only slightly more than we paid for Buendia. I actually think they might be one of the best clubs for signing players, Guehi and Anderson were also really clever signings and Munoz their new right back looks good too. 

Olise for £8m compared to £50m for Diaby is ridiculous, Olise much more likely to get in that France squad for the Euros than Diaby and he's three years younger too. Given our issues in midfield right now it's such a shame we didn't go for Wharton, Blackburn fans were raving about him 2 years ago. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Palace have made some very astute signings from the Championship - Eze, Olise and Wharton for a combined £40-45m is only slightly more than we paid for Buendia. I actually think they might be one of the best clubs for signing players, Guehi and Anderson were also really clever signings and Munoz their new right back looks good too. 

Olise for £8m compared to £50m for Diaby is ridiculous, Olise much more likely to get in that France squad for the Euros than Diaby and he's three years younger too. Given our issues in midfield right now it's such a shame we didn't go for Wharton, Blackburn fans were raving about him 2 years ago. 

We did the same with Morgan Rogers

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Olise much more likely to get in that France squad for the Euros than Diaby

Diaby was in the last France squad and made an appearance against Chile in one of the Friendlies. 

I think Olise was a bit of an unknown quantity of sorts when Palace signed him whereas Diaby was already a French international playing at a top level when we signed him - hence the difference in fees.

I do agree though that there is a lot of talent (and value) to be found in the Championship. Rogers a perfect example. Leeds have a couple that could be looked if (hopefully) they don't get promoted.

2 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Diaby was in the last France squad and made an appearance against Chile in one of the Friendlies. 

I think Olise was a bit of an unknown quantity of sorts when Palace signed him whereas Diaby was already a French international playing at a top level when we signed him - hence the difference in fees.

I do agree though that there is a lot of talent (and value) to be found in the Championship. Rogers a perfect example. Leeds have a couple that could be looked if (hopefully) they don't get promoted.

Oh I get that, not sure Olise was an unknown quantity as he was considered the best young player in the Championship but he was raw, they have developed him over three seasons and he has been quite injury prone too. 

But considering the outlay on Diaby he has been underwhelming, he surprisingly got himself back in the France squad in March but since then he's been playing himself out of the squad rather than into it when he had a great chance to go to a major tournament. 

I realise we can't just buy players with potential, we do have to buy some proven quality, that's what top teams do, but we need to get those signings right because they don't come cheap. Diaby may come good next season though so this discussion may be premature. 

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Our midfield of McGinn, Dougie, Tielemans, Kamara and Rogers cost just over £30m plus we have home grown talents of JJ and Tim.  I get they have made some astute signings but so have we and that midfield hopefully get us 4th this season.

Tim? He'll be gone next season, clearly not good enough as he's barely played. Not a patch on Wharton.

Fair point on the others and I don't disagree, our business has been good too. One caveat is we paid Tielemans and Kamara £150K per week to come here, but both freebies so certainly we can't complain. We've also overspent at times on players like Buendia and Diaby as mentioned who haven't had the impact we were hoping for given the large transfer fees. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Palace rightly identified their draw of being the biggest club in south London, they have a huge catchment area, they've developed a good academy and are positioned to pick up the off casts from the other London clubs which when you look at it there are a lot of them

morgan rogers is a good example of what villa have done right too but at the same time he's from halesowen, joined the baggies aged 9 then moved to city, the biggest improvement villa have made is hopefully stopping that, we need to be more of a magnet to the young talent in the region, baggies were seemingly a lot better at finding them than us

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Not sure how true but apparently a lot of clubs were in for Olise and Eze but they wanted to stay in London. Even if Villa wanted them at the time they wouldn’t have moved to us.

Agree Wharton is a great signing too.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not sure how true but apparently a lot of clubs were in for Olise and Eze but they wanted to stay in London. Even if Villa wanted them at the time they wouldn’t have moved to us.

Eze im sure outright said he's a south london boy and was only ever going to palace

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If that's true it's a bit narrow minded of them, I get they might want to be near home but this is their career. Eze was one I was hoping we might look at this summer if not too expensive but if he's not up for moving outside his comfort zone then he can jog on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Also not really sure why Diaby is being used as an example of a bad signing, for a first season he's been fine, ten goals and eight assists, and has been the main instigator in a number of other goals, also I could be wrong but I think he cost closer to £30m than £50m, all in all he's been a good signing, if we'd have signed an equivalent to Olise as he was when he first joined Palace instead, then we wouldn't have had as good of a season

Totally agree with this. Yes at times he has been frustrating but for his first season in the Prem, I think he has had a very good season and his numbers back it up.

Eze stood out for QPR in 2018 i remember him tearing us a new one at Villa Park under Bruce just after we thought we had cracked an automatic promotion run after spanking Wolves 4-1.

Typically 3 days later we lose 1-3 and Eze was the stand out for them.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Can’t underestimate the pull of London either. As astute as it might have been, Palace aren’t signing those names without the benefit of their postcode 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

We did not pay that much for Diaby - it's closer to €35-40m with add-ons. He's still scored more than Brennan Johnson who cost over £45m despite having being played out of position. He's not even had a full season. 

Comparitively, their biggest signing was Benteke at £32m who only managed 35 goals in 165 games. 

Lol, I only praised Palace's business which is perfectly reasonable given how some of their players are performing right now and suddenly in typical Villatalk fashion everyone goes on the defensive. 

I never even mentioned Brennan Johnson, said at the time Spurs were spending too much on him and didn't want us going near him.

No one seems to know what price we paid for Diaby given no one can say an exact price but my point was it was significantly more than Olise and many outlets have suggested he was our record signing. 

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Tim? He'll be gone next season, clearly not good enough as he's barely played. Not a patch on Wharton.

Fair point on the others and I don't disagree, our business has been good too. One caveat is we paid Tielemans and Kamara £150K per week to come here, but both freebies so certainly we can't complain. We've also overspent at times on players like Buendia and Diaby as mentioned who haven't had the impact we were hoping for given the large transfer fees. 

Ok leave Tim out, still very good.

According to many of the salary sites both Eze and Olise are on £100k per week so not so different to Tielemans and Kamara, and E got them free.

I honestly think Buendia will thrive under Emery, he wasn’t doing too bad before injury.  Diaby was raved about early in the season before his drop off in form but that’s probably first season settling like many overseas players and like Bailey will be better in following seasons so jury is still out.

6 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Lol, I only praised Palace's business which is perfectly reasonable given how some of their players are performing right now and suddenly in typical Villatalk fashion everyone goes on the defensive. 

Because you seem to put it out there suggesting ours isn’t so great yet people are showing how ours is just as good.

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Ok leave Tim out, still very good.

According to many of the salary sites both Eze and Olise are on £100k per week so not so different to Tielemans and Kamara, and E got them free.

I honestly think Buendia will thrive under Emery, he wasn’t doing too bad before injury.  Diaby was raved about early in the season before his drop off in form but that’s probably first season settling like many overseas players and like Bailey will be better in following seasons so jury is still out.

That's because Eze and Olise have since signed new bumper contracts I think. 

To be fair Nick I said this myself just now that it is too premature to say whether Diaby has been a failure so you're agreeing with me. I think so far for the money we spent he has underwhelmed and we would struggle to get our money back for him, whereas Palace would get potentially 10 times what they paid for Olise if they sold him. Of course Diaby's value may have skyrocketed this time next season and I agree it is too early to make a judgement one way or the other. 

• Like 1

Â