Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

16 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Ah yea the 18 year old from the Serbian league and a player who hasn’t played professional football yet.

be serious 

He’s only of our only players to have played in the champions league already yet you’re claiming his not professional and then telling me to be serious.

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

He’s only of our only players to have played in the champions league already yet you’re claiming his not professional and then telling me to be serious.

He’s on about the other one but he has played 3 games for Plymouth now.

I was referring to the other player you spoke about lino sousa, he has never played a minute of professional football before moving to Plymouth Argyle where he has been played for.....

4 minutes against Swansea
18 minutes against Sunderland

61 minutes against Coventry

9 minutes against Leeds

59 minutes against West Brom

and couldnt get off the bench against Middlesboro.

Yea be serious, that isn't the back up left back you want to count on for a team in the Champions League, it's a development player 

8 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I was referring to the other player you spoke about lino sousa, he has never played a minute of professional football before moving to Plymouth Argyle where he has been played for.....

4 minutes against Swansea
18 minutes against Sunderland

61 minutes against Coventry

9 minutes against Leeds

59 minutes against West Brom

and couldnt get off the bench against Middlesboro.

Yea be serious, that isn't the back up left back you want to count on for a team in the Champions League, it's a development player 

Time will tell but I think this is necessary wage bill trimming to meet the UEFA regulations 

• Like 1

Time will tell but I think this is necessary wage bill trimming to meet the UEFA regulations 

Which we can easily do without resorting to such drastic action.

So has it been established if we are allowed to buy players this summer yet or not, because I don’t wanna be refreshing this thread constantly throughout the summer if we aren’t going to be signing anyone. Do we have $$$$ to spend, or, does FFP mean we aren’t allowed to become even more better than some of Sky’s favourite 6? 

Edited by Tayls

9 minutes ago, Tayls said:

So has it been established if we are allowed to buy players this summer yet or not, because I don’t wanna be refreshing this thread constantly throughout the summer if we aren’t going to be signing anyone. Do we have $$$$ to spend, or, does FFP mean we aren’t allowed to become even more better than some of Sky’s favourite 6? 

We are led to believe we have no significant FFP room.

That is the best we are going to get as fans. 

We can spend a lot if we make some FFP profit on the sale of players

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Yes

5 hours ago, calcifer said:

If the right offer come in I think the board would look at it, if it means it gives the club a healthy FFP margin. 

Let's face facts, until our revenue starts increasing we have no choice but to sell players for the right price, it blows I know but what other choice done have? Invent a company to sponsor us for 100m? Cook the books?

I really would not be surprised to see a top player leave in the summer to help spear the additions to the squad. 

I might be totally wrong, but say we sold watkins (whether or not people think its an option) we would still need to replace him. 

So we sell for say 70 mill. The cost of 'trying' to replace his output, work rate, likeability etc is going to be more than that. For as player of that quality, wages are likely going to have to break the bank also and be more than what ollie is on. 

So if we do all that, are we not just straight back into a massive ffp shit cycle? 

Also, we know what we'll get frok ollie each year. Any new transfers, partixularly strikers, are always a big gamble as to whether it would work

So very likely outs in the summer will be:

- Donks, Chambers, Zaniolo, Lenglet, Hause, Sanson

Likely outs could be:

- Digne, Cash, Kesler Hayden 

Other outs depending on PSR/maturity:

- A senior player/Carlos, Duran.

Assuming Mings, Buendia and Kamara make a full recovery and Duran and Carlos stay the ins could look like:

- Starting RB;

- defensive midfielder (Kamara cover);

- Watkins cover/left winger; (assuming we don’t already have that in Morgan)

- back up LB (assuming the kid from arsenal needs another couple of years)

- Young CB;

Wages won’t be an issue if we get those players off the books. Hopefully some of the sales + champions league revenue will be sufficient to deliver the key upgrades that won’t come cheap. 

Edited by DakotaVilla

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I might be totally wrong, but say we sold watkins (whether or not people think its an option) we would still need to replace him. 

So we sell for say 70 mill. The cost of 'trying' to replace his output, work rate, likeability etc is going to be more than that. For as player of that quality, wages are likely going to have to break the bank also and be more than what ollie is on. 

So if we do all that, are we not just straight back into a massive ffp shit cycle? 

Also, we know what we'll get frok ollie each year. Any new transfers, partixularly strikers, are always a big gamble as to whether it would work

You are totally wrong, go back to my post from a few days ago, it’s at the bottom of page 21

FFP profits and losses work completely differently to how you think, it’s all explained including the maths and examples given

Edited by paul514
Adding the page number
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

So very likely outs in the summer will be:

- Donks, Chambers, Zaniolo, Lenglet, Hause, Sanson

Likely outs could be:

- Digne, Cash, Kesler Hayden 

Other outs depending on PSR/maturity:

- A senior player/Carlos, Duran.

Assuming Mings, Buendia and Kamara make a full recovery and Duran and Carlos stay the ins could look like:

- Starting RB;

- defensive midfielder (Kamara cover);

- Watkins cover/left winger; (assuming we don’t already have that in Morgan)

- back up LB (assuming the kid from arsenal needs another couple of years)

- Young CB;

Wages won’t be an issue if we get those players off the books. Hopefully some of the sales + champions league revenue will be sufficient to deliver the key upgrades that won’t come cheap. 

You are replacing those players with very cheap ones if that were to happen.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Watkins is the most irreplaceable player we have. There is simply no one available or affordable to us at playing the way he does and operating at anywhere near the same level.

I agree, but what it means is the price we value the player at and the price other clubs are willing to pay for the player are miles apart that any transfer is never going to happen. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Cash in and Digne? They should and probably will be sold yes, but we’ve already bought two new fullbacks.

Go on then…

I take it as we don't need to replace Digne if sold as we will replace Lenglet say with a LB/LCB type player. With Sousa as the Moreno understudy. If we sold Cash we would need to replace as we need an experienced attacking RB. 

I think we've 3 positions to fill this summer

LB/LCB - cover for Torres and a player who can play LB or LCB - Hermosso is the perfect player for this.

CDM - We need an alternative to Kamara a player with some physical presence who can slot into RCB in build up also

RB - Upgrade Cash, but needs to be a sale and replacement

Fwd/Winger - Need a right footed attacker - just bring Philogene back

I don't think the above should be too costly, especially if we can move on players

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

He's got more goal contributions than any other player in the PL this season.  I think there is only one person in the world who thinks that we should even consider selling him this season to "improve" the team.  Selling him now would be basically like saying "Yeah we quite enjoyed fighting for 4th place this season but you know what we much prefer battling for 12th".

• Like 4

7 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

We would yes, but it wouldn't be a 70 + million striker, we just don't have the finances. Not only do we have to comply with FFP but UEFA for Europe! 

Yes we have super rich owners, but hampered by FFP. So yes for us to be active in the summer someone will have to be sold. 

People think Ramsey is the most viable as that's pure profit. But then that's a homegrown talent off the books...

So wouldn't be surprised to see Luiz/Watkins or Martinez leave IF a huge offer came in.

I'm just not getting my hope up with a busy summer window, we need better players for the squad but to fund that someone has to go. 

37 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I take it as we don't need to replace Digne if sold as we will replace Lenglet say with a LB/LCB type player. With Sousa as the Moreno understudy. If we sold Cash we would need to replace as we need an experienced attacking RB. 

LB/LCB - cover for Torres and a player who can play LB or LCB - Hermosso is the perfect player for this.

CDM - We need an alternative to Kamara a player with some physical presence who can slot into RCB in build up also

I don't think the above should be too costly, especially if we can move on players

Don't you think that Mings will be cover for Torres?  I think it is a bit early to write his recovery off - especially if he's not having to play 50 matches next season.

I'm not convinced at all by Carlos - so personally I think a RCB is higher priority (assuming that Konsa plays more as a RB) than a LCB (assuming that Mings is fit by the end of the summer).  It might be a hard position to fill as we need someone who is comfortably playing the ball around at the back but we also need someone who is very good in the air to try and address our fragility against set pieces.

If Konsa is our preferred RB option - then I think Kosta might be our back-up.  I know he's young but he's got CL experience already and done pretty well.

LB entirely depends on whether we need to reduce our wage bill - as I think Digne / Moreno is a superb combination.  Yes it might become a problem position in a couple of seasons but I'd be keen to hang onto them both for now.

I'm not so worried about a CDM who can fill in in defence - but we definitely need another Kamara type player (equally good breaking up play as they are in possession) as I do think that there are games where we could do with having the option of playing two Kamara types and Doug.  Obviously we'd lose a bit of our attacking thrust with having another deeper midfielder - but if, like Kamara, they are good on the ball then we've got enough players who can pass the ball into our attacking players and so would still be a threat on the counter.  But also it would allow Doug a bit more freedom to join our attacks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Agreed except, as I've been saying, I think we might sell but not directly replace Cash (beyond Kosta). If we intend to play Konsa as a RB/RCB more often than we already do with Mings also in the preferred starting lineup as a CB, which I think was the plan for this season until he got injured, then Mings is an essentially a replacement player relative to this year's squad (Ty was obviously replaced by Lenglet this season, but his departure would be covered by, e.g., Hermoso).

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

Â