Weekends Football 12/14 January

andykeenan

Just now, tinker said:

Callum OHare showed his class for cov, both his goal were great but his second goal was pure quality. 

he's a quality player at championship level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

he's a quality player at championship level.

Short contract, I can see him going on that performance. Dewsbury Hall was good as well, great game.

Just now, Genie said:

Chelsea win via a dodgy pen, I think if pens for fouls in the box were scrapped the game would be so much better.

See a striker in on goal rugby tackled from behind to stop a goal scoring opportunity with no pen given would be quite entertaining.

I do agree though that not every foul in the box should be a pen...most should be indirect FKs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, a-k said:

See a striker in on goal rugby tackled from behind to stop a goal scoring opportunity with no pen given would be quite entertaining.

I do agree though that not every foul in the box should be a pen...most should be indirect FKs.

If it was denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity (like which merits a red card currently) I’d still have a pen. Anything else, indirect free kick. The result would be FAR less diving. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

If it was denial of a clear goal scoring opportunity (like which merits a red card currently) I’d still have a pen. Anything else, indirect free kick. The result would be FAR less diving. 

You’d just jump from one grey area to another. Grealish scored against Man Utd at Old Trafford with a shot from just inside the left-hand side of the box. Goal scoring opportunity or not?

Penalties for fouls are fine - the game should encourage players to stay on their feet/not get too close in the box. The downfall is the minimal contacts being given as fouls when they aren’t (didn’t watch the Chelsea game so no idea what that pen was like). 

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

Short contract, I can see him going on that performance. Dewsbury Hall was good as well, great game.

oh yeah, just noticed that, 6 months left on his contract.

honestly, i think any team vying for promotion would benefit from having him, if he played in a team with more quality around him (ie: a demoted team wanting to get promotion, or a quality champ team vying for promotion), he would shine i think.

Not sure he is PL quality, but he is defo top level championship quality, maybe lower end PL quality (dunno).

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You’d just jump from one grey area to another. Grealish scored against Man Utd at Old Trafford with a shot from just inside the left-hand side of the box. Goal scoring opportunity or not?

Penalties for fouls are fine - the game should encourage players to stay on their feet/not get too close in the box. The downfall is the minimal contacts being given as fouls when they aren’t (didn’t watch the Chelsea game so no idea what that pen was like). 

It’s not perfect, but it’ll be an improvement. We shouldn’t discard improvements just because they’re not perfect.

I hate that something like a Championship or a cup can be decided on a “clever” player initiating contact and getting a penalty.

Anthony Taylor is corrupt. He's compromised. Simple as that. The two blatant penalties he doesn't give us versus Sheffield United, then gives two dodgy ones for Plop and that one for Chelsea.

He should never referee at top level ever again.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Anthony Taylor is corrupt. He's compromised. Simple as that. The two blatant penalties he doesn't give us versus Sheffield United, then gives two dodgy ones for Plop and that one for Chelsea.

He should never referee at top level ever again.

The corruption  is blatant why isn’t it being called out?

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

The corruption  is blatant why isn’t it being called out?

They’re either corrupt, or incompetent.

Either way, they should be booted out.

Ripped from paddy power 😉

"Is this a library?" the Fulham fans sing.

The Chelsea fans refuse to be baited and respond with dignified silence. Class.

Edited by stewiek2

48 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Can't wait to play Chelsea, we're gonna get so many chances

Chelsea are quietly becoming quite good - they've a good chance at European qualification through the league.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Chelsea are quietly becoming quite good - they've a good chance at European qualification through the league.

Not a lot of quality in that side at all. Scraped past Fulham with a debatable penalty. 

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

oh yeah, just noticed that, 6 months left on his contract.

honestly, i think any team vying for promotion would benefit from having him, if he played in a team with more quality around him (ie: a demoted team wanting to get promotion, or a quality champ team vying for promotion), he would shine i think.

Not sure he is PL quality, but he is defo top level championship quality, maybe lower end PL quality (dunno).

He's an interesting player for sure, just back from injury and looks to have pushed on, that's 4 goals in 3 games. 

Wouldn't cost much and small wages. I can see him playing premier league in the next couple of seasons, one way or another.

Â