VillaTalk Deadpool 2024

Xela

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Welsh rugby legend JPR Williams gone at 74

Surely those were 5 Nations Tries. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Apologies, that was 700 years ago today.

Phew. I nearly put him as one of my picks. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Phew. I nearly put him as one of my picks. 

You were at school with him weren’t you? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Marco Polo

spacer.png

just 69 years old

Mint! 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

JPR Williams ! I know nothing about Rugby; the nearest I have been to watching a live Rugby match was 1981 againt The Albion at VP, but even I could see what a great athlete this bloke was. RIP

18 minutes ago, veloman said:

JPR Williams ! I know nothing about Rugby; the nearest I have been to watching a live Rugby match was 1981 againt The Albion at VP, but even I could see what a great athlete this bloke was. RIP

I'll take your word for it. 

I have heard of him, though. 

12 hours ago, bickster said:

Welsh rugby legend JPR Williams gone at 74

Brilliant player.

He was also my father in laws claim to fame. He did a training session at London Welsh (I think) and managed to stop JPR scoring a try by ankle tapping him. Was super happy with himself until the coach told him off for risking injury to JPR.

• Like 1

This was the shoulder barge that JPR did on Jean-Francois Gourdon in 1976 that saved the game for Wales and enabled them to win the Grand Slam. The Man was as hard as nails, he was also a very good orthopaedic surgeon

How tough was he? Well, after the full-back was involved in a road traffic accident back in the day, Gareth Edwards was moved to say: “Bloody typical, isn’t it?

“The car’s a write-off. The tanker’s a write-off. But JPR comes out of it all in one piece.”

That was the incident that supposedly led a hospital spokesman to report the next day: “Mr Williams spent a comfortable night, but we were unable to save the lorry.”

Wales Online

Was never really into rugby (and still not into it )  , but JPR Williams was the first sorta "household name" in that sport for me , probably the most famous player of the 70's ? 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Was never really into rugby (and still not into it )  , but JPR Williams was the first sorta "household name" in that sport for me , probably the most famous player of the 70's ? 

Yeah. JPR Williams, Bill Beaumont, Jonny Wilkinson, Matt Dawson. 

Beyond that I'd struggle to name many rugby union players. 

Forced to play it at school. Hate everything about it. 

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Nah, I’d put him third behind Gareth Edwards and Phil Bennett

You could probably put David Duckham into the mix for England

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, I’d put him third behind Gareth Edwards and Phil Bennett

You could probably put David Duckham into the mix for England

I've got the dvd for the 1973 Barbarians game. Unbelievable try scored by these players.

13 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I've got the dvd for the 1973 Barbarians game. Unbelievable try scored by these players.

Best game of rugby from the amateur era in my opinion and it was a friendly between a touring side and an invitational 15 played as a wind down match at the end of the All Blacks tour. Absolutely nothing at stake except pride

• Like 1

Â