Formula One - 2024

BOF

Fair play to Lewis. That's a fantastic move. Coming towards the end of a career, in a car that has disappointed for a few years. Throw a Hail Mary and make a glamour move to a team who have had a good car. And probably a box everyone would like to tick in their career. I admire moves like this and I hope it works out for him. I wonder how 'stoked' Leclerc is to have Lewis alongside him.  Also puts a good driver in Sainz onto the market for 2025.

It's certainly a story I had to check multiple sources before believing it though :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Fair play to Lewis. That's a fantastic move. Coming towards the end of a career, in a car that has disappointed for a few years. Throw a Hail Mary and make a glamour move to a team who have had a good car. And probably a box everyone would like to tick in their career. I admire moves like this and I hope it works out for him. I wonder how 'stoked' Leclerc is to have Lewis alongside him.  Also puts a good driver in Sainz onto the market for 2025.

It's certainly a story I had to check multiple sources before believing it though :) 

Yep, a mate sent me a screenshot fo the sky sports tweet and my immediate response was "is that real?"

Didn't expect that move at all, but it's certainly interesting.

Also shakes up the driver market for 2025.

Red Bull: Verstappen and ?

Mercedes: Russell and ?

Wonder if Albon might go back to Red Bull or whether Mercedes go for him. Interesting times.

On 28/01/2024 at 20:21, choffer said:

Sure I’ve seen this before but it’s still pretty impressive. 

When between 1990 and 2000 did they go from shorts and no helmets to full protection for pit crew? 

I bet they moaned as hell about it too. 

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Who are Mercedes getting then? Sainz to replace Perez and RB? 

Wouldn't surprise me if they broke the bank to get Norris. Unless they think Russell is good enough, in which case you're only filling in a #2 seat.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they broke the bank to get Norris. Unless they think Russell is good enough, in which case you're only filling in a #2 seat.

I love Russell but I'm not convinced he's the lead driver of a championship winning team.

Definitely wouldn't bother with Sainz either, feels he's pretty overrated.

Edited by AVFCDAN

27 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I love Russell but I'm not convinced he's the lead driver of a championship winning team.

Definitely wouldn't bother with Sainz either, feels he's pretty overrated.

Maybe Alonso.

2 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

Didn't expect that move at all, but it's certainly interesting.

Also shakes up the driver market for 2025.

Red Bull: Verstappen and ?

Mercedes: Russell and ?

Wonder if Albon might go back to Red Bull or whether Mercedes go for him. Interesting times.

58 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Who are Mercedes getting then? Sainz to replace Perez and RB? 

56 minutes ago, BOF said:

The more I think about it the more Lando makes sense. I know he's just signed a contract extension but with McLaren and Merc's relationship I could see there being a tie in with a move to Merc. The timing relative to this Lewis announcement would make sense then too.

Russell and Lando seems like an exciting lineup, although lacking real top level experience

Are there no decent German drivers around? I would have thought Mercedes would want a home guy in the team, or even another non-Brit for the marketing appeal. 

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

The new Merc must be an absolute shitbox then right? 

Hamilton can't have been that determined to get his dream Ferrari drive. 

He’ll possibly be driving that shitbox this season unless he / Ferrari / Mercedes do a deal to release him a year early.

27 minutes ago, Farlz said:

The new Merc must be an absolute shitbox then right? 

Hamilton can't have been that determined to get his dream Ferrari drive. 

He's thinking about retirement I imagine.

I don't think the Merc has to be a shitbox. But it might be clear that they won't be able to compete with RedBull.

So does he stay at Merc not competing or does he tick something off the bucket list, to drive for Ferrari?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's thinking about retirement I imagine.

I don't think the Merc has to be a shitbox. But it might be clear that they won't be able to compete with RedBull.

So does he stay at Merc not competing or does he tick something off the bucket list, to drive for Ferrari?

Exactly what he's doing IMO.

• Like 1

Lewis loves his brands and Ferrari is one of the biggest, most recognisable brands on the planet.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s driving for them for a relative pittance.

Â