Armistice day protests and counter protests

Jareth

30 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Has anyone here ever been on one of these protests?

I mean some might say it's a good cause(whatever cause it is) but seriously, could you get out of bed early on a cold winters day and go to this instead of a football game or a nice warm pub?

I **** wouldn't.

Yeah, I’ve done a couple, not loads, but a couple in London and a couple locally.

I have a friend with relatives in Gaza so I walked with him for a while on the first Palestine march. Again today just met up pre march this time just for a chat and a bit of moral support and all that. All fell silent for 2 mins at the appropriate time. Bit of a half arsed effort by me to be honest.

Believe it or not, I too went on a miners rally, but was rather worse for wear by the time I got there and remember very little of it. I do remember the police doing their best to try and cause trouble but most people ignoring them.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I mean some might say it's a good cause(whatever cause it is) but seriously, could you get out of bed early on a cold winters day and go to this instead of a football game or a nice warm pub?

I **** wouldn't.

I got stuck in an EDL protest by accident once.

Me and my mate went into town intending on getting pissed up, we were walking to the Troc when we walked into a big police barricade, we tried to get to the briar rose instead, we asked a copper if we could just dip under their barricade and run into the pub, copper said yeah no problem, we got half way down the road and about 10 police came charging towards us screaming for us to get back and then there was a shower of bottles come flying through the air, we were rounded back up into the protest group and herded half way across town, we eventually managed to break away after about and hour and we went to the Flapper.

The bottles and everything came from the counter protest on new street by the way, I didn't actually see a scrap of violence from the EDL lot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, meregreen said:

Bravermans rhetoric has consequences. She’s either too stupid to realise it, or this is exactly what she wanted. I’ll go for the latter.

She’s a nasty piece of work. Apparently her family came to this country and adopted British values whatever that means.  Are these lots chanting ‘England till I die’ the values she speaks of?

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

She’s a nasty piece of work. Apparently her family came to this country and adopted British values whatever that means.  Are these lots chanting ‘England till I die’ the values she speaks of?

It’s certainly the mob that she speaks to

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

I **** wouldn't.

I’ve been to the student one I think it was 10 years ago in London? That was interesting getting kettled in by the police for a few hours 

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

Been on plenty in my time

I have a rather good attendance record at anti-fascist protests in Liverpool

Been on marches for the Miners, Student Marches, Printworkers…

But mostly these days I kettle fascists

Don’t get far in Liverpool do they 

50 minutes ago, Genie said:

The amount of people responding to that thinking it reinforces the claim of police bias is quite scary.

You generally find on twitter it is those with opposing views who comment on posts such as these.

It says it all that the far right racist nut jobs have tried to really organise themselves today and yet the numbers that rocked up were tiny especially in comparison to the pro Palestinian march they were opposing. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1