Poppies & Remembrance Day

villa89

Just spotted this over on HotUKDeals

IMG-2562.webp

Show support to The Royal British Legion plus your favourite football team with this official badge. 

Show your support to the Royal British Legion and team with this fantastic Poppy Sports Pin

100% of the profits from every purchase go directly to the Royal British Legion to fund it's valuable work.

The Royal British Legion provides lifelong support for the Armed Forces Community.

Product Size (approx): 3.5cm x 2.2cm

However, I can’t find the Villa one on Amazon, sold out maybe?

7 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

As a former soldier I am obviously very biased, but by the same token if you don't agree with wearing a poppy I wouldn't hold it against you, unless you were telling everyone else not to.

Just from a financial perspective the poppy appeal is huge for supporting British veterans. It also goes towards maintaining British war graves overseas which our government will not support, which I think is abhorrent.

Is it too much to ask for two minutes of remembrance for those that have represented their country? I understand that you may not have agreed with why a war was fought, but many of those that died or were injured didnt have a choice about it. That's what the poppy is really about, in my opinion.

I lost friends and people I knew in Iraq and Afghanistan. It helps me to know that people are thinking of them, even if only for a few minutes.

i think for most, yes agree. but it's become a stick to beat people with, usually by words removed like the below. the likes of farage need to be careful about stuff like this. he's not well liked, to put it mildly, and crap like this is not going to help

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think for most, yes agree. but it's become a stick to beat people with, usually by words removed like the below. the likes of farage need to be careful about stuff like this. he's not well liked, to put it mildly, and crap like this is not going to help

Unfortunately most symbols of patriotism have been high-jacked by idiots in the UK so not wearing a poppy, or flying a flag is a way of distancing from them.

Does anyone ever see the other colour poppies for sale - in a shop, next to a collection box I mean, not online.

I can see the temptation in wearing one of those, displaying the required reverence but also annoying those who only want to see the red one on every lapel this November.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Can’t even have fake bombs lying around in public places anymore, this country has gone soft.

Well someone could tell them the angle of attack of the Lancaster bomber appears to be a bit wrong especially for a dambusters raid :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, tomav84 said:

I agree entirely that there are racists like Farage who twist the message of what the poppy should represent and undermine it. It's a shame people can't see through it. Maybe not for this thread, but it's something the Tories, and to a lesser extent the other parties, have been doing with many different topics for the last 20 years.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dodgyknees said:

Back alley of a club, it was dark, so I can’t be sure to be honest.

It wasn’t the Garryowen was it? A classy young lady gave me a rusty trombone one evening after meeting her an hour earlier?

17 hours ago, Genie said:

Just spotted this over on HotUKDeals

IMG-2562.webp

However, I can’t find the Villa one on Amazon, sold out maybe?

Any luck?

Amazon and the BL website have sold out

Interestingly we're one of six teams on the advert for them on the official BL site (us, man City, Luton, saracens, bath and one I don't recognise)

Â