Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

Never learn not to love was a 1962 single for the beach boys. The b side was a track called Never learn not to love. It's original title was cease to exist. It was written by Charles Manson.

Cannibalism is legal in the uk, as it is in many parts of the world. There are laws about procuring and consent but not the eating. 

This comes down to the Uruguayan rugby team plane crash.  In that situation nobody broke the law.

21 minutes ago, colhint said:

Cannibalism is legal in the uk, as it is in many parts of the world. There are laws about procuring and consent but not the eating. 

This comes down to the Uruguayan rugby team plane crash.  In that situation nobody broke the law.

So you’re saying there were laws about cannibalism in the UK prior to the Uruguayan Rugby Team crash. Excuse me for sceptical.

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

So you’re saying there were laws about cannibalism in the UK prior to the Uruguayan Rugby Team crash. Excuse me for sceptical.

Just checked the original legal precedent goes back to 1884. Four people from UK were lost at sea. When the cabin boy fell ill, two of the men killed him and they all began eating him.They were rescued a short while later. The 2 men who killed him but the third was not prosecuted.

• Like 1

Bayer Leverkusen winning the Bundesliga has brought an end to one of the best bits of football trivia - Kingsley Coman can no longer claim to have won the league every year since turning professional. His record ends with a streak of 11 seasons where he won the league, including one season where he made appearances for 2 title winning teams in the same season, meaning technically he played for 12 title winning teams in 11 seasons.

• Like 3

On 13/04/2024 at 01:26, colhint said:

Just checked the original legal precedent goes back to 1884. Four people from UK were lost at sea. When the cabin boy fell ill, two of the men killed him and they all began eating him.They were rescued a short while later. The 2 men who killed him but the third was not prosecuted.

42 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Bayer Leverkusen winning the Bundesliga has brought an end to one of the best bits of football trivia - Kingsley Coman can no longer claim to have won the league every year since turning professional. His record ends with a streak of 11 seasons where he won the league, including one season where he made appearances for 2 title winning teams in the same season, meaning technically he played for 12 title winning teams in 11 seasons.

That's alright, the more amusing record has stayed in tact.  Harry Kane has never won a trophy since turning professional 😆

• Haha 1

“You learn something new every day even after six decades” corner.

If you know Neil Young, one of his best albums is called “Tonight’s The Night “.

The title track is about people he knew dying of drug addiction and the first line of the song goes:

”Bruce Berry was a workin’ man

he used to love that Econoline van”.

Bruce had checked out after a heroin overdose and was one of Neil’s roadies.

I only just read that Bruce was in fact the brother of Jan Berry.

Maybe one for the boring thread 😉

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rjw63 said:

“You learn something new every day even after six decades” corner.

If you know Neil Young, one of his best albums is called “Tonight’s The Night “.

The title track is about people he knew dying of drug addiction and the first line of the song goes:

”Bruce Berry was a workin’ man

he used to love that Econoline van”.

Bruce had checked out after a heroin overdose and was one of Neil’s roadies.

I only just read that Bruce was in fact the brother of Jan Berry.

Maybe one for the boring thread 😉

I didn't know that. Definitely QI for the likes of you and me. 

EDIT: But wasn't it load that Econoline van? 

Edited by mjmooney

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I didn't know that. Definitely QI for the likes of you and me. 

EDIT: But wasn't it load that Econoline van? 

Dunno always sounded like love to me  but seems you are right.

40 years of mistaken lyrics for me 😂

Edited by rjw63

Just now, mjmooney said:

It's cos you love Mike Love. 

Oh yeah he’s such a cool dude 😂

• Like 1

Thanks @mjmooney I just looked him up and strangely I remember watching the film about his life at home when I was a little kid - one of those old, old memories you don't realise you have, until something like this reminds you  - I guess nine year old me had always thought it was fictional.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Thanks @mjmooney I just looked him up and strangely I remember watching the film about his life at home when I was a little kid - one of those old, old memories you don't realise you have, until something like this reminds you  - I guess nine year old me had always thought it was fictional.

Jan and Dean had the first surf number one in USA, written mainly by Brian Wilson.

Jan Berry was in a serious car accident in 1966, ironically very near to Deadman’s Curve 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

That does rather beg the question, who was Jan Berry?

Not so useless information:   the term "begging the question" does not mean what most people think it means.

• Like 2

The spelling of Dudley in the Doomsday Book is Dudelei, it was named after a land owner called Duddah and the -ly (-lei) part means clearing in the woods (not word filtered)

:D 

• Like 2

Â