Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

Blimey! It was free when I lived in Cornwall.

I haven’t been for a few years.  Parking was ridiculously expensive.  A fiver for a few hours.  You can walk on the cliffs for free.  But the famous sign was part of an “experience” package that had to be booked separately.  

On the flip side- the Minack theatre is worth every penny.  Watching a play on the cliff edge with the setting sun behind the stage is an experience like no other. If it’s not raining………

1 minute ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

the Minack theatre is worth every penny.  Watching a play on the cliff edge with the setting sun behind the stage is an experience like no other

It’s kind of shameful but I never did that there. Had a pal who used to go pretty frequently and who raved about it, but theatre’s not my thing. Nice spot though.

42 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Exactly this.   I can’t believe they charge people for the “experience”.  

I had a similar reaction with the village of Clovelly in north Devon. Went there with my parents as a kid, and it was a quaint ex-fishing village, with a steep cobbled street. Very photogenic and popular with tourists, but essentially just a village like any other. Went back there with the missus years later, and it had a massive car park, and a big concrete and glass visitor centre/gift shop, where you had to pay to pass through the turnstiles to enter the village. Now, I don't blame the locals for wanting to make some money off the grockles, but it was a hell of a transformation. 

27 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

On the flip side- the Minack theatre is worth every penny.  Watching a play on the cliff edge with the setting sun behind the stage is an experience like no other. If it’s not raining………

A musician friend of mine has played there, and he says the acoustics are surprisingly good. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

It’s kind of shameful but I never did that there. Had a pal who used to go pretty frequently and who raved about it, but theatre’s not my thing. Nice spot though.

Even if theatre isn’t your thing - it’s still amazing. 

IMG_0203.jpeg

• Like 1

Minack -  

Amongst the things I have seen there was Anthony and Cleopatra.  It was an adaptation by an amateur company from Derby.  They were very good

It was a lovely warm day.  The play was reaching its crescendo.  Anthony was standing centre stage with the sun setting behind him.  An exhausted Roman Legionnaire runs onto the stage and in a broad Derby accent says > 

Anthony! As thee sin Cleopatra?  

🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Minack -  

Amongst the things I have seen there was Anthony and Cleopatra.  It was an adaptation by an amateur company from Derby.  They were very good

It was a lovely warm day.  The play was reaching its crescendo.  Anthony was standing centre stage with the sun setting behind him.  An exhausted Roman Legionnaire runs onto the stage and in a broad Derby accent says > 

Anthony! As thee sin Cleopatra?  

🤣

I had a mate at school whose sister was very enthusiastic about being in school plays, but was notoriously bad at remembering her lines. When her school put on a production of 'Macbeth', her teacher allowed her in, but only in the most minor of roles, as a spear carrier, who had only one line - "Hail Macbeth!". 

No problems in rehearsal, but on the night, nerves got the better of her. She stepped forward and shouted "HAIL CAESAR!... Shit!... MACBETH!... hail MACBETH!" 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, blandy said:

It’s the most south westerly point in England and GB and furthest from the most north easterly point at John O’ Groats. It’s definitely got its claims to fame as you can see when you go there, though my experience was a bit “is this it?”.

It’s not the most Southwesterly point in mainland Britain, that distinction goes to Gwennap Head

If Lands End has a claim as anything it’s the most Westerly point in mainland England but as that definition would include an arbitrary political boundary it’s meaningless.

So why was Land's end specifically chosen for the LE to JOG challenges? Well there was once an American Consul in Birmingham called Elihim Burrit who whilst doing his consulling also wrote two books in the 1860s. A Walk from London to John O’Groats and it’s sequel, A Walk from London to Land's End. Now it was these two books that influenced the Naylor brothers from Cheshire to pick those two points and absolutely nothing scientific at all. They were as Mandy says just picked for convenience.

Hence why I said, Land's End has no real claim to be anything much at all

3 hours ago, bickster said:

It’s not the most Southwesterly point in mainland Britain, that distinction goes to Gwennap Head

If Lands End has a claim as anything it’s the most Westerly point in mainland England but as that definition would include an arbitrary political boundary it’s meaningless

Hmmm. The English border, or Welsh or French or any nation “arbitrary and meaningless”? Really? Don’t tell customs and excise.

Gwennap head is just along from LE, isn’t it?  Slightly further south, but not further west, so I’d say it depends on how you prefer your southwesterly points. I’d go for the closest to 225 degrees from the centre point, and then obviously also the greatest distance from the centre point. Dunno which place that is, mind, but there will be a gnat’s between them.

42 minutes ago, blandy said:

Hmmm. The English border, or Welsh or French or any nation “arbitrary and meaningless”? Really? Don’t tell customs and excise

The point being that country borders esp in this instance have no relation to the landmass in question

43 minutes ago, blandy said:

Gwennap head is just along from LE, isn’t it?  Slightly further south, but not further west, so I’d say it depends on how you prefer your southwesterly points. I’d go for the closest to 225 degrees from the centre point, and then obviously also the greatest distance from the centre point. Dunno which place that is, mind, but there will be a gnat’s between them.

2 miles further south 1:5 miles less West, It’s Gwennap

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Why is the internet telling me the most westerly mainland point is neither of the places you are discussing?

We aren’t talking about the most westerly, that’s in Scotland, I mentioned it above somewhere I think

Lands End is most westerly point in England but England means nothing in terms of the Island of Great Britain

• Like 1

On 03/06/2023 at 09:04, mjmooney said:

I had a similar reaction with the village of Clovelly in north Devon. Went there with my parents as a kid, and it was a quaint ex-fishing village, with a steep cobbled street. Very photogenic and popular with tourists, but essentially just a village like any other. Went back there with the missus years later, and it had a massive car park, and a big concrete and glass visitor centre/gift shop, where you had to pay to pass through the turnstiles to enter the village. Now, I don't blame the locals for wanting to make some money off the grockles, but it was a hell of a transformation. 

The entire village of Clovelly is owned by one man/family (the ones who live in the mansion at the top).

They run the village as a trust with the visitor money being used to help restore the village and to preserve it as it was.

It was them who installed the car park and paid entrance but once you're past this the village is still like stepping back in time. Whilst it's annoying to have to pay now it's at least a somewhat good cause behind it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Is that how long Fergie was in charge there ?!

No he was still up winning trophies with Aberdeen in '84. He didn't take over at United until November 1986.

42 minutes ago, BOF said:

No he was still up winning trophies with Aberdeen in '84. He didn't take over at United until November 1986.

They must have had the same rule in Scotland as in England then ( times up when we score )

• 3 weeks later...
Â