Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

And I never realised Clough was that good at football. I obviously knew about his managerial achievements but didn't realise he scored that many goals.

Something I found out in the fire talk for student residences the other day...

Aberystwyth, according to some firefighter fella, has the largest timber framed accomadation building in the UK, after the ones on the site burned down in a fire in 1998.

I'll be amazed if thats true but there you go.

I'll be amazed if thats true but there you go.

I wouldn't. How many timber framed accomodation buildings are there in the UK? Not a lot I would imagine, they sound like a death trap.

I wouldn't. How many timber framed accomodation buildings are there in the UK? Not a lot I would imagine, they sound like a death trap.

Timber frames are actually safer than steel in a fire...

I think you'll find that in the last 30 or more years most houses built in Scotland are Timber Frame.

For some reason England sticks to all brick / block.

Anyway - uselesss info - All Polar Bears are left handed

The oldest player to ever score for Villa is Peter Schmeichel

_1613354_schmeichel_everton_300.gif

Pre Youtube online footy highlights.

Oh my. I remember that match, he nearly scored again as well :lol:

Thank the lord we still won 8)

Swindon Town is the only team in the football league not to contain any of the letters in Mackerel.

St Johnston is the only team in the British isles to contain the letter 'J'.

The oldest player to ever score for Villa is Peter Schmeichel

_1613354_schmeichel_everton_300.gif

Pre Youtube online footy highlights.

Oh my. I remember that match, he nearly scored again as well :lol:

Thank the lord we still won 8)

I was about to write "we didn't win!"

But then I realised who was posting... *shakes fist*

Robbie Keane now holds the record that David Blaine previously held for being the bloke who spent the longest amount of time in the box doing absolutely **** all.

Fair enough. Any idea why?

The name Ethiopia is derived from the Greek meaning "The land of the sunburned faces"

Some bloke in England made a car out of wood a few years back and the insurance company wouldn't insure it for fire. He argued that all (non-vandal) car fires are started from an electrical short carried through the metal.

Someone should've told him that might change if vandals saw a wooden car :)

Fair enough. Any idea why?

Per the University of Manchester:

Although timber is classified as combustible material, a properly designed timber structure has been recognised as performing very well in fire. Light timber construction is normally protected from fire by fire resistant cladding materials, while heavy timber construction has good inherent fire resistance because a char layer is formed that retards the heat penetration.

When heavy timber members are exposed to a fire, the temperature of the fire exposed surface of the members is close to fire temperature. When the outer layer of wood reaches its burning point (about 300°C), the wood ignites and burns rapidly. The burned wood becomes a layer of char which loses all strength but retains a role as an insulating layer preventing excessive temperature rise in the core.

The low conductivity of char will cause a steep thermal gradient across the char layer. Underneath the char layer, there is a layer of heated wood with a temperature of above 200°C, which is known as the pyrolysis zone. This part of wood is undergoing irreversible chemical decomposition caused solely by a rise in temperature, accompanied by loss of weight and discolouration.

The inner core wood is slightly temperature affected with some loss of strength and stiffness properties, mainly due to the moisture evaporation in the wood. The charring rate is more or less constant and depends on the density and moisture content of the wood and heat exposure. Figure 1 shows the typical cross section of a timber beam subjected to fire (Buchanan 2001; Purkiss 1996).

The fire performance of timber is dependent on the charring rate and the loss in strength and modulus of elasticity. Strength and stiffness properties depend on temperature and moisture content.

Steel meanwhile starts dramatically losing strength at around 300 degC (and loses nearly all strength by 800 degC... something the 9/11 truthers miss when they bleat about jet fuel not burning at a high enough temperature to melt steel...)

I did a double-take when my step-father (an adult student in Building Materials and Wood Technology at the University of Massachusetts) told me that.

Â