Ratings & Reactions: UECL: Villa v Zrinjski Mostar

limpid

Match Polls  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/10/23 at 22:59

2 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

I promise I will NEVER follow a game via the Villa Talk match thread again.

I am stuck in. Hotel bar in Egypt with no other way of knowing what is going on.

You lot are miserable as ****.It was depressing but I couldn’t stop looking…

each new post was a new moan and you have the nerve to create threads about the atmosphere at VP.

I genuinely hope none you actually ever go to VP because you will make it worse…

UTV!

It was pretty grim first half and frustrating for most of the second.

Gamesmanship and some dodgy refereeing decisions made it a difficult watch.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I thought he was bizarre. Not bad, just bizarre. Their play acting played into his hands. He gives us a pen that's never a pen, then we don't get the ball back. Then doesn't give a pen for the most blatant shirt pull I've ever seen.

The shirt pull was never a pen IMO. Started outside the box, and wasn't strong enough inside the box to merit Zaniolo going down. Think commentator got a bit too excited about that.

• Like 2

Just now, KentVillan said:

The shirt pull was never a pen IMO. Started outside the box, and wasn't strong enough inside the box to merit Zaniolo going down. Think commentator got a bit too excited about that.

I agree. It also didn't seem to impede Zani's progress much. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

I am stuck in. Hotel bar in Egypt with no other way of knowing what is going on.

each new post was a new moan and you have the nerve to create threads about the atmosphere at VP.

I genuinely hope none you actually ever go to VP because you will make it worse…

UTV!

Comment rating... 

Very poor. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Hard to judge Unai on this because he has to rotate to keep our Premier League run going, and ultimately got the 3 pts while resting some key players.

The real issue here was our squad depth. Some fine performances, but I don't think Duran or Bailey are actually very well suited to this kind of game, as they both need space in behind, and I think we would have benefited from Pau's passing from defence.

McGinn colossal although worrying we've needed 96 mins from him to achieve it when he'll be needed again on the weekend.

Tielemans the big disappointment for me because I thought this game was set up for him, and although he had some good moments, he just doesn't seem to be on it ... I worry about his body language. He looks like he's pissed off at not getting starts and trying to prove too much.

If we want to compete on several fronts in future we'll need to keep adding talent to this squad.

Referee was very good btw - don't think he made any major mistakes bar the penalty, which he (correctly) fixed on the VAR check.

Squad depth is only an issue because we have 5 first team players currently out injured.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Just to give you a flavour of the first half of the match. Did you watch the 2-0 defeat against Everton. Think exactly the same in your head. 8 postboxes would have been just an exciting and probably moved more.

There was a reason every post was a moan. 

Read the match thread against Brighton or Hibs or Everton in the league.  It’s not normally so negative.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Squad depth is only an issue because we have 5 first team players currently out injured.

Fair point. That doesn't help. JJ would have been great instead of Youri tonight.

9 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I’ve sent the missus on her way to Bodymoor Heath with a ribbon on and a thank you card addressed to SJM. 

Is she wearing an inflatable turkey outfit as well?

• Haha 2

Just now, HKP90 said:

Do we have a club cloning officer? Get on it Wes and Nassef.

I don't think my man love could handle 2 of him. It's bad enough seeing Carlos waltzing about with his top off. 

My 16 year old gave me a right dodgy look when I said 'put it away Carlos'. 

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

If we want to compete on several fronts in future we'll need to keep adding talent to this squad.

Dare I suggest that this is where a youth player comes in. We play Dendonker and Tielemans (both decent on their day) and when the return is zero they could be dragged off for youth, guaranteed to give everything and learn. What do we learn playing a sulking Tielemens and an out-of-form (maybe forever) Dendonker? As you say, and most of us understand, we cannot keep playing the same team in each competition. We'll be dead by March, as we know from the MON era.

• Like 1