Weekends Football 29/30 September/1 October

andykeenan

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Any challenge that ends up with studs up a straight leg is a red these days tbh

Shouldn’t be though IMO. You need to look at force and intent - it has neither for me. But, as you say, that’s football now. It’s shite. 

Just now, bobzy said:

Shouldn’t be though IMO. You need to look at force and intent - it has neither for me. But, as you say, that’s football now. It’s shite. 

Thems the rules these days. Player protection is everything I guess.

• Like 1

Absolutely obvious red card that.

Neville claiming his foot slipped off the top of the ball - that's a foot that's eight inches off the ground and flying then Gary eh?

If his foot comes through the middle of the ball and he catches him on the follow through then fair enough, but at the height he's come in at it's a blatant red - the ball didn't duck out of the way.

• Like 2

Just now, VillaChris said:

He was always going to get sent off given Gusto went for very similar last week.

In the modern game that's a red more often than not.

Difference (for me) is that Gusto jumps in with… well, gusto. There’s force behind it so it’s a genuinely dangerous challenge even though he “gets the ball”.

This one is a foot in that slips over the ball. There’s no force or intent. But as @StefanAVFC says, this is what the football world wants. 

If you are out of control in the tackle these days then it is a red. Same thing happened last  night for the villa u21s. Our rightback had too much force and was deemed out of control and a straight red. Same thing happened to the Chelsea player on Sunday.  If it reduces the risk of serious injury then i am all for it

Â