Weekends Football 29/30 September/1 October

andykeenan

1 hour ago, Genie said:

He must be the most underrated manager of the last 20 years.

The epitomy of a safe pair of hands. A totally likeable, knowledgeable gentleman. In the same bracket of both Sir Bobby and Sir Graham in their underated status. Gentleman and bloody good coaches and managers 

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

I think they've dropped a bollock there, no way it was offside

The one possibility before I jump on the bandwagon of "sack the VAR tonight" is the angle we see above has the ball obscured by the player, and there might be an angle that better shows when the pass is played, which might only be fractions of a second difference but enough to change the outcome.

It's why I refuse to accept "offside is a matter of absolute fact", close calls like this can absolutely be fixed by a bad actor

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

The one possibility before I jump on the bandwagon of "sack the VAR tonight" is the angle we see above has the ball obscured by the player, and there might be an angle that better shows when the pass is played, which might only be fractions of a second difference but enough to change the outcome.

It's why I refuse to accept "offside is a matter of absolute fact", close calls like this can absolutely be fixed by a bad actor

I think that would make sense on those exceptionally close ones, but this looks a good half metre on. I'm not sure what a different ball contact point would do

Edited by StefanAVFC

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The frame VAR appeared to be using is the one above, we could see everything apart from the lines themselves. Very odd.

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

When they showed it at half time it still looked like onside at the point you could visibly see the ball.  The automated offside system has a sensor in the ball I think so wouldn't be an issue.  I can't believe they don't use it.

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I think that would make sense on those exceptionally close ones, but this looks a good half metre on. I'm not sure what a different ball contact point would do

Clutching at straws trying to come up with an innocent explanation tbh, because if the outcome is "whoops, it was a mistake, we'll apologise", the VAR needs sacking.

If you can not only get it right with such a clear call but with freeze frames and can pause the game to take your time to check....And not only get it wrong, but also don't seem to have used all the tools at your disposal, something stinks

We have on occasion all jumped on a wrong offside decision that it turns out was misleading on TV and looked correct after the fact, so I'm hedging my bets until we see what happened

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Clutching at straws trying to come up with an innocent explanation tbh, because if the outcome is "whoops, it was a mistake, we'll apologise", the VAR needs sacking.

If you can not only get it right with such a clear call but with freeze frames and can pause the game to take your time to check....And not only get it wrong, but also don't seem to have used all the tools at your disposal, something stinks

We have on occasion all jumped on a wrong offside decision that it turns out was misleading on TV and looked correct after the fact, so I'm hedging my bets until we see what happened

Yeah that's sensible. But with the pitch lines here I can't see anything other than a huge mistake IMO

Â