Ratings & Reactions: Legia Warszawa v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/09/23 at 22:59

10 minutes ago, Chasetown Villa said:

Such a **** kick in the teeth with that team selection. CSKA vibes all over again. First time Emery has really pissed me off - totally underestimated the competition. 

Maybe but our starting XI should’ve been too strong for them.  There was no kids in there and many strong European veterans like Chambers, Tielemans and Lenglet as well as current internationals like Digne.  It’s not a weak team.  They should’ve had more than enough to win.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

Just now, WakefieldVillan said:

We didn't, which is probably more concerning than the original team selection. Usually Emery sees things and will fix it. We looked like we had no game plan at all after the subs.

That said, even then, we had 3 very good chances of getting a draw or even a win. (Ramsey, Diaby & Tielemans). 

Yep, more concerned with that rather than Chambers playing shite. Ramsey aside, as he’s only coming back from injury, Cash, Luiz, Diaby and Watkins all done nothing when coming on.

2 minutes ago, WHY said:

Hindsight management is a wonderful thing. It’s one game, we have 5 left to put it right. Emery would have leant a lot tonight. It’s better to learn this stuff when you have a chance to put it right. 

It's not really hindsight, he did the same against Stevenage and got the same result 

2 minutes ago, WHY said:

Hindsight management is a wonderful thing. It’s one game, we have 5 left to put it right. Emery would have leant a lot tonight. It’s better to learn this stuff when you have a chance to put it right. 

I think you are right - I am confident we will progress. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I feel like the players and coaches have underestimated this competition and opponents..

I hope this serves as a harsh lesson that to win a trophy players and coaches have to perform..

There is no way Emery underestimated this competition. If anything he overestimated the ability of some of his players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

And drop Bailey and Diaby?

I think it's difficult picking four from Watkins, Diaby, Duran, Zaniolo, Bailey, McGinn and Ramsey - in theory that should give us the ability ti be threatening in games like this.

It's the other end we're struggling at.

I agree. I think McGinn though has been very average so far, Leon better but JJ and Zaniolo give us more drive and composure in the final third imo. I'd just like to see Zaniolo off the right(inverted) with more space to run into. I wouldn't drop Diaby. 

Just now, WHY said:

👍🏻 have a good night 

Why bother coming onto a forum to discuss things if you're going to throw your toys out the pram if people disagree with you?

Emery is fantastic manager, I'm very happy we have him and he has been nearly perfect since he joined us but tonight he dropped a bollock and isn't above criticism 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I don't think Lenglet for Pau was a bad call but I think he has learnt that Cash now has to play every game at least until Carlos comes back.  It's not that damaging a defeat in the long term as long as we learn from it, win our home games and get a result away.  Digne still is in credit despite what happened tonight plus we have Moreno back.  I'm more worried about the Kamara/Tielemans battle for a midfield spot at the mo.

Probably one of the more curious results of the transfer market was a lack of a back up for Cash. I know we had targeted a variety of LB's but the Chambers weakness was a cascading problem everywhere along the defense. Couldn't progress the ball, couldn't defend 1v1, lost too many headers/duels in the midfield causing an open break. It was a horror show all around.

Legia were content to defend once Cash was on but anyone with eyes could see that Cash (for as much flak as he gets) is a much superior defender over Chambers simply by not being as slow as a tortoise.

Hopefully Unai has learned a lot about the replacements tonight and how far off it they were trying to replicate the system the preferred XI plays.

Edited by DJBOB

2 minutes ago, picicata said:

Why bother coming onto a forum to discuss things if you're going to throw your toys out the pram if people disagree with you?

Emery is fantastic manager, I'm very happy we have him and he has been nearly perfect since he joined us but tonight he dropped a bollock and isn't above criticism 

Calm down fella, have a good night 👌🏻

To be fair to Emery, I don’t think it’s too much to ask for apparently professional, premier league level players to perform to a level where we could beat Legia Warsaw. Obviously he was wrong, but on that matter so was I, I fully expected us to be able to string two passes together and have some sort of defensive shape even if they played don’t start every week. They were absolutely pathetic.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 3

Just now, alreadyexists said:

I assume it’s because it’s a gambling sponsor and they’re banned in some parts of Europe

Thanks for that. About right, I don’t like this seasons shirt at all.

• Like 1