January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

3 hours ago, TRO said:

OMG sign him up.

...just kidding.

On a serious note Nick, I have heard through the grape vine, we are close to FFP demarcation lines....so I don't see big money signings this winter.

Hard to say really but it makes sense to play it carefully. Newcastle look to be losing a first-team player or two, presumably due to their overspending, and we don't want to be in that position ourselves. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strog said:

I see people complaining that we will regret not signing someone and hark back to the times where Lerner or Deadly Doug would not cough up a few more quid. We can’t compare the present day, with FFP,  to past times. I trust the owners and the coaching team to do the right thing and abide by the rules. Im sure they will try and improve the squad if they can.

I think the key difference here is that… this time, what the manager says goes… moreso than it did in the past (except for maybe the MON days but he simply doesn’t compare to Unai in terms of ability, intelligence, nous etc. and was fairly reckless with that “power” and we paid the cost for that…).

We had managers whose hands were tied in the past, who didn’t have the control and authority that they would have desired or that Unai has now… some were held back and decisions made “over their heads”… JG is a good example, he wanted to take us as far as possible and didn’t see the club as inferior to anyone but… Doug kept putting roadblocks in place…

I don’t think that’s the case at all now… it’s FFP that is the obstacle but we have people who are fully aware and capable of dealing with and facing it…

In terms of regret… it’s also different… as far as I can tell… it’s not NSWE here who are telling Unai to curb the spending or not sign anyone… it’s Unai, Monchi and co. who are analysing and assessing everything… I’m confident in saying that NSWE would want to give Unai even more resources if it were allowed or possible without any repercussions, punishment, sanctions, whatever… 

We are ran so well and so intelligently these days… it’s truly refreshing and pleasing. We have proper, experienced and truly knowledgable “football people” in place that know what to do and how to do it…

The fact that Unai himself has spoken of Tim, for example, and revealed details that we were not privy to (working with coaches, being tested and assessed, the level of faith now being shown in him) has given me a lot of assurance… that he himself spoke of it and that is how he sees things… 

Rather than him saying something like, we want to strengthen but the funds or capacity isn’t there to do so, I’d like to sign players but the owners/chairman won’t allow it, we need a better squad but we are restricted etc. etc.

Again, if Unai is happy then I am happy. If he himself thinks and states he is happy with the squad and we have what we need - then that’s good enough for me. As long as he doesn’t feel held back in any sense…

Despite the concerns I had and comments I made, I will always concede to Unai and his superiority in this regard…

So, there are plenty of reasons for hope and positivity, for optimism…

And yeah, there are still the fans that will moan, groan and complain - we’re all an emotional bunch and invested and don’t always see eye to eye…

It’s also worth noting that Unai has not ruled out any signings either… just that we’ll only make the right moves when they  are possible and if they make sense… he hasn’t stated that there will be no business or no players arriving… it’s dependent on a few factors…

I’ve never had so much faith in a Villa manager and felt so relaxed, he’s easily the best for me…  but it’s also hard to resist the urge to want us to keep improving and pushing and upgrading the team/squad… for Unai to have more/better tools at his disposal… I suppose we lack patience… he is on top of things so we needn’t be concerned…

But, again, whatever Unai wants and thinks is best…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Leeroy said:

lol Brentford wouldn’t poach anyone from us, every player would choose us over them. 

Haven't they bought that Icelandic keeper that was reported to be on his way to sign for us? 

1 hour ago, John said:

Haven't they bought that Icelandic keeper that was reported to be on his way to sign for us? 

They did but it's not clear if we were in talks with the goalkeeper or not, just had interest.

I just thought the word 'poach' was amusingly naive, it's what teams like Man City or Liverpool might do to us, but not bloomin Brentford! (And I like them, they're very well run, but they can't 'poach' players from us.)

• Like 1

its been a really quiet window for nearly all PL teams so far, its almost spooky.

Spurs spent 28m-ish on Dragusin, plus Werner on a free, Man City spent 12m on that Argentine kid, Brighton spent 8m ish on the other Argentine kid, we spent 7.5m on a Serbian kid, Spam prob spent 8m on Phillips loan.

Other than that....quite window so far.

Wonder if we will get a flurry of deals at the end of the window.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I think the key difference here is that… this time, what the manager says goes… moreso than it did in the past (except for maybe the MON days but he simply doesn’t compare to Unai in terms of ability, intelligence, nous etc. and was fairly reckless with that “power” and we paid the cost for that…).

We had managers whose hands were tied in the past, who didn’t have the control and authority that they would have desired or that Unai has now… some were held back and decisions made “over their heads”… JG is a good example, he wanted to take us as far as possible and didn’t see the club as inferior to anyone but… Doug kept putting roadblocks in place…

I don’t think that’s the case at all now… it’s FFP that is the obstacle but we have people who are fully aware and capable of dealing with and facing it…

In terms of regret… it’s also different… as far as I can tell… it’s not NSWE here who are telling Unai to curb the spending or not sign anyone… it’s Unai, Monchi and co. who are analysing and assessing everything… I’m confident in saying that NSWE would want to give Unai even more resources if it were allowed or possible without any repercussions, punishment, sanctions, whatever… 

We are ran so well and so intelligently these days… it’s truly refreshing and pleasing. We have proper, experienced and truly knowledgable “football people” in place that know what to do and how to do it…

The fact that Unai himself has spoken of Tim, for example, and revealed details that we were not privy to (working with coaches, being tested and assessed, the level of faith now being shown in him) has given me a lot of assurance… that he himself spoke of it and that is how he sees things… 

Rather than him saying something like, we want to strengthen but the funds or capacity isn’t there to do so, I’d like to sign players but the owners/chairman won’t allow it, we need a better squad but we are restricted etc. etc.

Again, if Unai is happy then I am happy. If he himself thinks and states he is happy with the squad and we have what we need - then that’s good enough for me. As long as he doesn’t feel held back in any sense…

Despite the concerns I had and comments I made, I will always concede to Unai and his superiority in this regard…

So, there are plenty of reasons for hope and positivity, for optimism…

And yeah, there are still the fans that will moan, groan and complain - we’re all an emotional bunch and invested and don’t always see eye to eye…

It’s also worth noting that Unai has not ruled out any signings either… just that we’ll only make the right moves when they  are possible and if they make sense… he hasn’t stated that there will be no business or no players arriving… it’s dependent on a few factors…

I’ve never had so much faith in a Villa manager and felt so relaxed, he’s easily the best for me…  but it’s also hard to resist the urge to want us to keep improving and pushing and upgrading the team/squad… for Unai to have more/better tools at his disposal… I suppose we lack patience… he is on top of things so we needn’t be concerned…

But, again, whatever Unai wants and thinks is best…

All points very well made - thank you!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

where did Timmy say this?, curious to read it.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

where did Timmy say this?, curious to read it.

Unai spoke about Iroegbunam yesterday (posted in his thread) and revealed how he and his coaches have been working with him, testing him and how he sees him as doing the same role as Kamara…

surprised but pleased to hear that he is convinced… (having watched him train  and develop) after the sales of other youngsters, Tim may be rated even higher than them and deemed more capable of first team action… 

hopefully he steers clears of injuries and proves himself to be a better option than Donk was… I’m convinced if Unai believes it, that he is ready… 

doesn’t mean we won’t see any more signings though… he hasn’t ruled that out…

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Unai spoke about Iroegbunam yesterday (posted in his thread) and revealed how he and his coaches have been working with him, testing him and how he sees him as doing the same role as Kamara…

surprised but pleased to hear that he is convinced… (having watched him train  and develop) after the sales of other youngsters, Tim may be rated even higher than them and deemed more capable of first team action… 

hopefully he steers clears of injuries and proves himself to be a better option than Donk was… I’m convinced if Unai believes it, that he is ready… 

doesn’t mean we won’t see any more signings though… he hasn’t ruled that out…

ah ye, saw that, i thought you meant Timmy had also spoken about being "tested" etc.

31 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

its been a really quiet window for nearly all PL teams so far, its almost spooky.

Spurs spent 28m-ish on Dragusin, plus Werner on a free, Man City spent 12m on that Argentine kid, Brighton spent 8m ish on the other Argentine kid, we spent 7.5m on a Serbian kid, Spam prob spent 8m on Phillips loan.

Other than that....quite window so far.

Wonder if we will get a flurry of deals at the end of the window.

When does the window 'slam shut' 

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

ah ye, saw that, i thought you meant Timmy had also spoken about being "tested" etc.

Oh right, sorry, I probably wrote it wrong.

Unai was saying that he and his coaches have been testing Tim in training… seeing how he gets on and develops… looks/sounds like he will be our DM deputy rather than playing a different role/position… it seemingly influenced the decision to let Donk go and allow Tim to step up now…

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

When does the window 'slam shut' 

Window closes on Thursday February 1 at 11pm… could see a flurry of activity (as is often the case) toward/near that deadline… maybe Villa will be involved in that… bids for Rogers and interest in other youngsters would suggest so… moreso if we can get Chambers and Traore to leave…

Edited by Jas10

17 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Window closes on Thursday February 1 at 11pm… could see a flurry of activity (as is often the case) toward/near that deadline… maybe Villa will be involved in that… bids for Rogers and interest in other youngsters would suggest so… moreso if we can get Chambers and Traore to leave…

it would be the missus lucky night if we managed to offload Chambers AND Troare this window.

14 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

it would be the missus lucky night if we managed to offload Chambers AND Troare this window.

She gets to get rid of you for the night and chill?

20 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

She gets to get rid of you for the night and chill?

maybe, or knock me off and get my death in service pay i guess.

• Haha 3