January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

But we have better squad depth than them, we don't need to panic buy.

I don't see why we can't sustain it? Spurs should have better prepared in the summer, and they wouldn't have to panic buy now.

I disagree, think they have more depth once their injured players come back. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, duke313 said:

But we have better squad depth than them, we don't need to panic buy.

I don't see why we can't sustain it? Spurs should have better prepared in the summer, and they wouldn't have to panic buy now.

It's not really panicking seeing as they've got the deals done in 10 days.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

exactly. did people really think we would sustain this run with our squad and that we'd then sign 5 players in january to keep the title push going? the likes of spurs etc were always going to get their acts together and then further strengthen

Probably why Spurs are seen as a bigger club than us,, and why they often finish above us.

There's also the fact that Spurs sold Kane in the summer, and they also have a larger revenue figure than we do.

It's FFP working its magic to keep us in check just below the CL teams.

Thankfully we have a manager that can improve what he already has, so we're not as reliant on spending as other clubs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

There's also the fact that Spurs sold Kane in the summer, and they also have a larger revenue figure than we do.

It's FFP working its magic to keep us in check just below the CL teams.

Thankfully we have a manager that can improve what he already has, so we're not as reliant on spending as other clubs.

Yes we have a manager who can get a lot out of what he has, but sooner or later it will become more and more difficult if everyone around us is outspending us.

We need to get that revenue figure up. It's what f*cked Leicester when they were in a similar position to us.

It's why I find the decision to not push forward with expansion of the stadium totally weird. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

We need to get that revenue figure up. It's what f*cked Leicester when they were in a similar position to us.

I agree totally with the first part of this sentence - we need the revenue up.

However Brendan Rogers not qualifying for the Champions League when in pole position for a couple of seasons is what fcuked Leicester up.....i little like Martin O'Neill's failure during his tenure here.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

It's why I find the decision to not push forward with expansion of the stadium totally weird. 

Yes, same here. There's a very short FFP downside for the season where we don't sell any tickets in the North stand, followed by decades of sustained increase.

But,  we're spending what we can and achieving what we are with what we've got. I don't think it's a disaster if we sign noone, and arguably anyone we could get wouldn't save us in the event of an injury to one of our key players anyway. 

Whoever we sign as backup GK won't be close to Emi, whoever we sign as backup striker won't be close to Watkins.

The only position we could realistically  improve on,  assuming we even have 20m to spare, would be RB, and the only position we could get cover in for that would be DM. Neither of those signings are going to make or break our season in the event of injury to the first choice.  At right back we just move Konsa there. At DM this new signing won't be much better than Donk, and will still be a fair bit worse than Luiz and Kamara. 

Realistically, we're into the realms of big money signings to get improve us. Or youth prospects that will be a gamble now but one for the future.

Edited by MrBlack

36 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Probably why Spurs are seen as a bigger club than us,, and why they often finish above us.

Would the two signings' Spurs have made improve us?

8 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Yes we have a manager who can get a lot out of what he has, but sooner or later it will become more and more difficult if everyone around us is outspending us.

1 - Just spending money isn't working out too well for Chelsea or Man Utd.

2 - I agree with the first part of the middle comment - if not entirely the second part.  I don't think that higher revenues alone would have kept Leicester where they were.  The club lost direction after the tragic death of their owner and that had a bigger part to play.

3 - Wouldn't pushing forward on the stadium expansion have an immediate negative hit on our revenue levels?  Maybe full capacity stadiums in the next 2 seasons is more important for allowing us to strengthen with players in the next 4 windows to the point that windows 5, 6 and 7 are less critical and a better time for us to have less capacity to make signings?  I mean we've got a pretty decent core now at an age where they should have 3 or 4 seasons still at their peak.  If we can get in a couple of extra Kamara level players in other positions then maybe we've got a better chance of getting our revenue levels higher, quicker than just through increased gate figures?  I'm not saying that we don't need to expand the stadium / capacity but maybe we are better off having 42,000 attendances cheering us on in the league and Europe to help us get a big name sponsor in - who then sees the benefit in investing further to help us with the expansion work and making sure that VP is "cutting edge" for the 2028 international matches.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Would the two signings' Spurs have made improve us?

The squad - probably.  The starting XI (or even the used 16 players on match day) - probably not.

1 hour ago, wishywashy said:

There are pretty significant number of fans (looking at the likes of Twitter rather than here tbf) who are more invested in transfers than the actual football.

They've signed a young CB because they're desperately short (having started zero centre backs against us) and Werner, who flopped hugely in England before and has now started twice all season for Leipzig: a team Spurs would hope to argue they're better than. It's crazy.

The largely Twitter revisionism about Werner is endemic of that mindset. Finding things to be upset about - same with Brighton signing that Argentinian left back. 

• Like 4

Just now, TRO said:

During the Ron Saunders era, I just trusted him to get new recruits right. I felt he knew how the balance of the team should look....I accepted he and the back room boys knew what they was doing.

I feel the same now.

Agree 100%.  Emery and Monchi won't be signing £60m players in the hope that they will improve us.  They will be finding players who they are confident will improve us and they might be valued at £6m, £26m or £60m - the "price" will be pretty much irrelevant.  Meanwhile clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd will feel that they have to spend £80m on a player in order to justify signing them and will then try and figure out how they might be able to use that player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Why are people online freaking out that Spurs have signed two players, and we haven't?

Same happened last season when they signed danjuma, look how that worked out for them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allani said:

1 - Just spending money isn't working out too well for Chelsea or Man Utd.

2 - I agree with the first part of the middle comment - if not entirely the second part.  I don't think that higher revenues alone would have kept Leicester where they were.  The club lost direction after the tragic death of their owner and that had a bigger part to play.

3 - Wouldn't pushing forward on the stadium expansion have an immediate negative hit on our revenue levels?  Maybe full capacity stadiums in the next 2 seasons is more important for allowing us to strengthen with players in the next 4 windows to the point that windows 5, 6 and 7 are less critical and a better time for us to have less capacity to make signings?  I mean we've got a pretty decent core now at an age where they should have 3 or 4 seasons still at their peak.  If we can get in a couple of extra Kamara level players in other positions then maybe we've got a better chance of getting our revenue levels higher, quicker than just through increased gate figures?  I'm not saying that we don't need to expand the stadium / capacity but maybe we are better off having 42,000 attendances cheering us on in the league and Europe to help us get a big name sponsor in - who then sees the benefit in investing further to help us with the expansion work and making sure that VP is "cutting edge" for the 2028 international matches.

Spot on.

spending money, is just an assumption, that further improvement is guaranteed......its not.

When you are as close as we are to success.....it takes tweaks and nuances, not panicky spending.

Its very easy to upset a very smooth functioning outfit.

I say.....Trust the process.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allani said:

Agree 100%.  Emery and Monchi won't be signing £60m players in the hope that they will improve us.  They will be finding players who they are confident will improve us and they might be valued at £6m, £26m or £60m - the "price" will be pretty much irrelevant.  Meanwhile clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd will feel that they have to spend £80m on a player in order to justify signing them and will then try and figure out how they might be able to use that player.

My view is, sometimes certain attributes in a team cost a lot of money.....but other attributes may cost a lot less.

It depends what the manager feels he needs to improve us......I don't expect him to come out and share that with us, so I guess we have to make our own stab at it, and that will vary from fan to fan.....sure its a bit of fun and banter, but thats all it is.

some fans will have a team full of attackers, some a team full of defenders.....The manager is the blender, and he creates the balance, which is key.

We are a very good football team, right now......but consistency is what seperates the good from the great, and many elements constitute that consistency.

I don't know if any money will be spent in this window, I suspect it will depend if all the relevant criteria align, and a deal can be done, that fits that criteria.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

Spot on.

spending money, is just an assumption, that further improvement is guaranteed......its not.

When you are as close as we are to success.....it takes tweaks and nuances, not panicky spending.

Its very easy to upset a very smooth functioning outfit.

I say.....Trust the process.

Exactly - it is clear that we now have one of the best coaches in Europe in charge.  He's been given more power than pretty much any other coach / manager in the country and has appointed coaches, scouts and Monchi (one of the most respected football people in Europe) because they are aligned with what he wants and needs.  We also have owners who have proven that they are driven by ambition and will spend what they can (under FFP) to achieve that success.  If we sign a player (regardless of price) it is because Emery, Monchi and our scouts have identified him as someone who will fit the way we play.  If we identify a player who could make an immediate impact then our owners will do the best they can to find a way of making the money available and not quibbling over £250k.  If we don't sign anyone then either Emery is happy with what he has or he wasn't prepared to compromise and take an inferior player rather than wait until the summer.

I'd prefer us to make a couple of signings but if we don't then I'm going to be a lot more relaxed about that than I have been for countless transfer windows.  Before there were always weaknesses in our coaching, leadership, recruitment / scouting network or ownership that were fundamental factors impacting on our transfer business.  Now most of those weaknesses have been removed and I feel fully trusting that any decision (including the decision not to buy someone) will be made by the best people with the best interest of the club behind them.  It feels fantastic!

*** But I do reserve the right to bitch about the unfairness of FFP in denying us the opportunity to buy an unidentified player whilst Chelsea are continued to allow to spunk £250m on random players who have one good match on TV. 

Edited by allani
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, allani said:

All for likes and clicks on social media, we'll worry afterwards if the player will fall out with the manager and refuse to turn up to training or if he's a wife beater.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, allani said:

The squad - probably.  The starting XI (or even the used 16 players on match day) - probably not.

How many times have you watche Radu Dragusin play?