January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Had a quick look online for our previous Jan signings… 

Yep, Carew and Young were both signed in that window… 

Mings, Moreno, Hourihane, Bertrand, Bent (initial impact), Keane… good ones…

Other names such as Reina, Digne, Coutinho…

many I won’t bother to mention because they were terrible!! 😂

Digne was a good signing, albeit maybe a bit expensive. Even Coutinho initially was very good and people were waxing lyrical about him, just turned into a disaster once we signed him permanently. Reina wasn't that bad either. 

Worse ones are Samatta, Borja Baston, Drinkwater. They were atrocious signings. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Well I do know we have been looking at strikers and Im sure we will bring another one in, although probably not until the summer.

Oh really? Interesting…

I’m not questioning you, just wondering how you know… any other (kinds of) players you know we are after? A RB and DM would be excellent!

Again, I be delighted if we strengthened in any way…

But not worried, upset or negative if we don’t rn or don’t do too much…

-

If we manage to secure CL… we can buy at a different level too… exciting.

Just now, Jas10 said:

Oh really? Interesting…

I’m not questioning you, just wondering how you know… any other (kinds of) players you know we are after? A RB and DM would be excellent!

Again, I be delighted if we strengthened in any way…

But not worried, upset or negative if we don’t rn or don’t do too much…

-

If we manage to secure CL… we can buy at a different level too… exciting.

One of my partners is an Premier League agent of over 30 players, including 4 strkers and one in particular that we almost signed 2 years ago. (Who we arent in for now). And because of that I hear things. Thats all. 

@JAMAICAN-VILLAN will attest to this Im sure.

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Your general point is fine but… do you not think Unai might see it the same/similar way?

I’m confident we will at least try (he himself has not ruled anything out) but we’re not going to sign randoms… our targets will be very specific and well thought out, researched and planned. They have to make us better… we’re not looking for numbers…

If we can’t sign who we really want, we won’t and will hold fire for the time being…

If we can, well do it.

But we’re early into the window and it’s no use fretting… just wait and see.

Yeah it's just that Ornstein is usually very accurate. Unai did himself say we are only looking to bring in players who clearly improve us, which would rule out the Ngonge link because he isn't better than what we have in a position that is stacked (he plays off the right which is where Diaby, Bailey play, Zaniolo can play there better than on the left, and McGinn can play there too). 

FWIW, I don't want to just add bodies for the sake of it. I just want us to try our hardest to bring in the quality we need. Ornstein's statement seemed to indicate that we were happy as we are, which is wrong IMO.

Just now, GlobalVillan said:

One of my partners is an Premier League agent of over 30 players, including 4 strkers and one in particular that we almost signed 2 years ago. (Who we arent in for now). And because of that I hear things. Thats all. 

@JAMAICAN-VILLAN will attest to this Im sure.

Oh that’s cool…

I’m not doubting or questioning you mate, I had no idea beforehand.

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

Yeah it's just that Ornstein is usually very accurate. Unai did himself say we are only looking to bring in players who clearly improve us, which would rule out the Ngonge link because he isn't better than what we have in a position that is stacked (he plays off the right which is where Diaby, Bailey play, Zaniolo can play there better than on the left, and McGinn can play there too). 

FWIW, I don't want to just add bodies for the sake of it. I just want us to try our hardest to bring in the quality we need. Ornstein's statement seemed to indicate that we were happy as we are, which is wrong IMO.

I don’t think even Ornstein is as clued up about us as many seem to assume…

we are seeing conflicting reports too…

serves no purpose for us to be transparent, more beneficial to remain as tight lipped as possible..

there is time and I’m sure Monchi is working hard and making many enquiries…

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Cracking signing.

I knew all this talk of FFP restrictions was a load of bollocks.

I found the Photoshop job most amusing of all 😂

1 hour ago, Nicho said:

As before I’d still love some big signings Frimpong being the one and if we sign Ngonge for about £15 mil then great. 

If we can’t sign someone like Frimpong I’m happy for us spend some of that money on the likes of Ronnie Edward’s, Jonathan Rowe, Adam Wharton, Jacob Greaves, Hayden Hackney, Miles Leaburn however spurious or non existent those links may be. 

I’m not sure about Frimpong… what I’ve heard is that he’s a potent and pacy attacking threat but has genuine defensive deficiencies (suppose that can be worked on, he’s still young)… he’s a shorty too and we have a fair few of those… @TRO won’t be happy 😆

He’s more of an attacking wingback or even winger really…

I’d like our RB to be robust and defensively sound while helping us get forward and contributing to our attacking momentum/impetus rather than obstructing it… while feeding our forwards/winger(s)…

We need some players that can get stuck in and win the ball for us aswell… not just all attacking and technical in that sense… but quality in possession and in the pass is essential in this Unai side too. Cloggers aren’t welcome 😆

Another name I’ve seen suggested is Geertruida… would he be a better or more suitable option for us? Can cover different positions too… 

Molina is another one.

A bit of added physicality and defensive nous/grit would really help this side out imo… 

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

I miss the days when this thread was about links to players we might sign or general made up nonsense, rather than a never ending circular debate whether we will buy anyone or can buy anyone.

That's fishful thinking, those days are long cod.

• Haha 2

Wondering if we’re getting Philogene back as Hull are looking at loaning Carvalho from Liverpool and he plays predominantly on the RW, cutting in like Philogene.

Makes sense for the homegrown quota. 

Interesting that Chambers wasn't in the squad for Boro and we only had 8 on the bench. Could be injured or ill, but heard nothing about that yet.

Iroegbunam was on the bench but didn't make the pitch, so I believe that means he's not cup tied either for a potential loan spell, with most Championship sides still in the competition.

Those seem most likely players to leave this month (I reckon Traore will go in the summer when he's out of contract/back from AFCON/hopefully not as injured).

1 minute ago, gaz90 said:

Another left back/wing back linked

Was brilliant in the Euros before his injury, probably Italy's best player up to that point.  Not sure we need another 30 year old left back though.   

We're in probably the best position in about 15 years to attract talent at the moment, but squad size (and one eye on FFP) could prevent us from doing what we want to this Jan. Hopefully Unai sees bringing in a RB as essential and buying someone versatile, like Geertruida, would mean that multiple positions can be covered by one player. I get the feeling that for other positions though, we'll be following a one in, one out policy.

For example, if Olsen goes, we might sign a younger keeper like Josh Griffiths. If Digne goes, we might sign Acuna (though I'd prefer Barco). If Chambers goes, Ronnie Edwards. Dendoncker > Vermeeren. Traore > Summerville. Duran > Dybala etc.

Having too large a squad could disrupt harmony and mean certain players aren't registered (especially as we have to balance the Home Grown quota as well). We also don't want the squad to grow unwieldy, as it could impact FFP down the line, especially as Champions League qualification isn't guaranteed yet. For those reasons, I think it'll be a quieter transfer window than most of us would hope for, unless we manage to sell the players above. If it does end up being quiet though, I reckon the summer window will be a big one.

2 minutes ago, gaz90 said:

We're in probably the best position in about 15 years to attract talent at the moment, but squad size (and one eye on FFP) could prevent us from doing what we want to this Jan. Hopefully Unai sees bringing in a RB as essential and buying someone versatile, like Geertruida, would mean that multiple positions can be covered by one player. I get the feeling that for other positions though, we'll be following a one in, one out policy.

For example, if Olsen goes, we might sign a younger keeper like Josh Griffiths. If Digne goes, we might sign Acuna (though I'd prefer Barco). If Chambers goes, Ronnie Edwards. Dendoncker > Vermeeren. Traore > Summerville. Duran > Dybala etc.

Having too large a squad could disrupt harmony and mean certain players aren't registered (especially as we have to balance the Home Grown quota as well). We also don't want the squad to grow unwieldy, as it could impact FFP down the line, especially as Champions League qualification isn't guaranteed yet. For those reasons, I think it'll be a quieter transfer window than most of us would hope for, unless we manage to sell the players above. If it does end up being quiet though, I reckon the summer window will be a big one.

Perfect for that Konsa RB role, would mean we can actually play or best CB at CB rather than RB.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Rodders said:

The club are pretty good at keeping a tight lid on things these days. Of we sign someone good chance it will.be completely out of the blue. 

Like a whale or small fishing vessel?