January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

20 minutes ago, Adman said:

I think there is a lot of value where a player is in a squad that doesn't play to his strengths.  Out Matty cash is a good player but doesn't necessarily suit our new way of playing.  

I’d love to see some suggestions and judge them on their own/individual merit…

off the top of my head… I really can’t think of any who would be worth it for us and improve our first team at all… and even if there are, the cost would be prohibitive so still not worth it…

I’m not ruling every single player out but as a general mindset…

it’d be way, way easier to come up with a (long) list of their reserve players that we definitely wouldn’t want 😆

Edited by Jas10

17 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’d love to see some suggestions and judge them on their own/individual merit…

off the top of my head… I really can’t think of many who would be worth it for us…

I’m not ruling every single player out but as a general mindset…

it’d be way, way easier to come up with a (long) list of their reserve players that we definitely wouldn’t want 😆

I'm not sure there's many I can think of either, but tbh that's Emery's genius. Whoever he picks, I'll trust him. My initial reaction may be underwhelmed or even disappointed...but I trust him to work magic at this point.

• Tielemans was a great example. Had gone right off the boil at Leicester. Shite to begin with here too. Pushed further up, suddenly he was incredible for us.
  • Luiz wasnt in brilliant form under Smith, cast out under Gerrard (which was also ridiculous). Wasted as a 6 for like 3 years. World Beater under Emerys system.
  • McGinn, I was convinced had just not adapted to the Prem. Couldn't quite do it here under Deano other than a few games in 2019. Couldn't find his best position as an 8 or a 10. Captain under Gerrard, but focking terrible. Incredible under Emery.
  • Watkins, not finding the net, drifting wide too often. Not as involved in play as he should be, drifted offside too often. Incredible under Emery.
  • Leon Bailey. Terrible. One good game and he Injured himself for a year because of one *strong shot*. Bloody awful. Took some time with Emery...but suddenly one of the best players in the team, beating out our record signing. 
  • Lucas Digne. Not pulling his weight at Everton. Wasn't doing it here either, ready to cut and run. Suddenly turned into the LB De Bruyne With his assists at start of the season. Even Emery was surprised he managed this one, was ready to bin him off. Suddenly indespensible.

Bring it on. Go and sign some one I've never heard of, or somebody who played in the Prem and I thought was crap. Emery will sort it.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2

£5m seems too cheap for Edwards, I think they will want at least £10m, would also be surprised at our interest unless one of the four first choices are leaving, he's too good to be fifth choice youngster, and we have our own that can do that role, unless we see Konsa playing a lot of games at rightback, in which case it could make more sense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Id take Felipe Anderson on a free in the summer if we get champs league 100%.

Would be good squad member. 

He flattered to deceive at West Ham I thought and generally faded from their first team when Moyes came in. Not sure how he's done back at Lazio.

Actually thought the Anderson people were on about is the CB at Palace.

I wanted him when he did well at Fulham and Palace getting him for 20m or so was a complete steal and other than scoring the odd own goal (for us) he's been very good value indeed and still not that old.

If we do make CL our CB options are a bit concerning past Konsa and Pau. Diego Carlos is dodgy against better strikers and will be 31 end of the season, Lenglet done o.k as a sub player but again couldn't see him being a regular for us anytime soon and who knows what state Mings will be in when he hopefully gets back. A year out to suddenly playing in CL seems too big a step really if he loses a yard or so of pace.

We are prime then to get in an experienced CB at 26-27 (basically same profile as Pau last season) and think Joachim Andersen would be a very good pick up.

Spurs and Chelsea keep overlooking him when they sign CBs despite being on their doorstep so no reason why we wouldn't be in with a shout with two years left on his deal. I think him and Tierney would be clever pick ups for about 70m combined and really freshen up our defence.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I'm not sure there's many I can think of either, but tbh that's Emery's genius. Whoever he picks, I'll trust him. My initial reaction may be underwhelmed or even disappointed...but I trust him to work magic at this point.

• Tielemans was a great example. Had gone right off the boil at Leicester. Shite to begin with here too. Pushed further up, suddenly he was incredible for us.
  • Luiz wasnt in brilliant form under Smith, cast out under Gerrard (which was also ridiculous). Wasted as a 6 for like 3 years. World Beater under Emerys system.
  • McGinn, I was convinced had just not adapted to the Prem. Couldn't quite do it here under Deano other than a few games in 2019. Couldn't find his best position as an 8 or a 10. Captain under Gerrard, but focking terrible. Incredible under Emery.
  • Watkins, not finding the net, drifting wide too often. Not as involved in play as he should be, drifted offside too often. Incredible under Emery.
  • Leon Bailey. Terrible. One good game and he Injured himself for a year because of one *strong shot*. Bloody awful. Took some time with Emery...but suddenly one of the best players in the team, beating out our record signing. 
  • Lucas Digne. Not pulling his weight at Everton. Wasn't doing it here either, ready to cut and run. Suddenly turned into the LB De Bruyne With his assists at start of the season. Even Emery was surprised he managed this one, was ready to bin him off. Suddenly indespensible.

Bring it on. Go and sign some one I've never heard of, or somebody who played in the Prem and I thought was crap. Emery will sort it.

Sancho for 25 million - Emery would get him back on form...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

He's a tidy player, I like him but presumably Arsenal would want to bump up the fee and considering his recent appearance record it would be a gamble whilst giving money to one of our direct rivals

Nice to think Arsenal are a rival, bet they don't think that way, although we are

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

That’s fair… 

Tielemans wasn’t a reserve… he was a starter and previously had a good reputation with interest from top clubs. Being on a free… it was an intelligent and savvy move to make…

Unai is one of the very best… what an amazing job he has done and how lucky and blessed we are to have him…

I just don’t feel that we need many additions and only really players that can genuinely improve us…* I am delighted to say that we have good players at the club, some are truly exceptional…

*other than that, youngsters with huge potential that can become stars for us in the future.

There isn’t an urgency to add to this squad and spend a shedload of money…

What I’ve been mostly referring to is value…there is such little value to be had from buying within the league… it’s one of the reasons why so many players are brought in from different leagues and clubs invest so heavily in their academies to develop and bring through their own players…

-

Ultimately and again, if Unai gets who he wants then we’ll be fine if not flying…

I don’t think many of the names suggested or floated around would even interest him though.. and he’s not reckless in terms of wanting to splash out crazy amounts on players… not a chequebook manager like others are… 👀 

he’s an exceptional coach and the complete package in terms of a world class manager, you can tell he loves working with, developing and improving his players… rather than being desperate to keep buying and chopping and changing…

Wonderful… 

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Can't even spell his name right.  Rubbisssshhhh

Tbf people misspell all the time, doesn't mean he isn't necessarily correct. Though of course it doesn't mean it is the other way either. 

Hackney would cost closer to £20m also the fee we got for Azaz was about right considering he only had one year left on his contract

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Hackney would cost closer to £20m also the fee we got for Azaz was about right considering he only had one year left on his contract£20

£20 million? Surely not haha. Never heard of him. 

Ronnie Edwards is brilliant CB tho.

Edited by Pongo Waring

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Tbf people misspell all the time, doesn't mean he isn't necessarily correct. Though of course it doesn't mean it is the other way either. 

Truemate. I remember the problems everyone had with Kieren Clarke 

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, useless said:

Hackney would cost closer to £20m also the fee we got for Azaz was about right considering he only had one year left on his contract

We'd have just extended azaz, azaz would probably be worth somewhere between 5-10 mil, and if it's 8+add ons and Azaz you are looking at a fee somewhere I the region of 15-20 million. 

Maybe even a loan with Iroegbunam as well? 

Edited by MotoMkali

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

Not seeing which of the ones listed is not reasonable? 

Oil football rumoured for digne in the summer and again now, after half a season of playing great. Already played for barca psg and villa so that ticks oil football boxes.

Donker 1st team squad player / decent cb dcm option for a lower Premier league team

Chambers simular to donker 

Sansom is playing great in France for the team in 2nd place

I could see forest Brentford  Luton Burnley Sheffield utd all possibly interested in donk or chambers for that sort of money.

Chambers and Sanson specifically