January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

doesn't UCL have different FFP rules that will be coming into play?  Something about 90% turnover to wages, or 80%?  I thought that was going into effect next season- wonder if that will have a negative effect on Villa?

6 hours ago, paul514 said:

Have you seen them play? I haven't I just spotted them in the data

Yeah, Wyscout fiend. Both destined to be playing European football most of their career.

Vermeeren unreal for his age but harder to judge as he's still so young. Never know how someone will develop physically. Can be a deal breaker.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Bizarre to me how some people nonchalantly think he's so easy to replace.

When he is at his best he's unplayable and crucial to the team.

He's a very unique player imo.

I don't think he would be easy to replace, at all. My point is that hypothetically replacing Ollie Watkins or Douglas Luiz (and what either of them bring to the team) will be a lot harder than replace than John McGinn. *this is not me saying that I want to sell McGinn at all

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Surely we still have players we can sell to get fees in and free up a load of wages before we need to sell any of our own top players?

Dendonker, Sanson, Hause, Chambers, Traore, Olsen, Coutinho ( Let's say we get to 20 mill for those 7, and free up say 300 - 400 k per week in wages )

PLUS added money from finishing higher, added gates, Cups, Europe, which will also undoubtedly bring better sponsorship packages etc.

As mentioned, especially if we qualify for Europa or Champions League.

Getting the CL revenue is a game changer, but if we don't I don't know exactly what we do. From that group of players, we probably only get money back for Dendonker and maybe Sanson and Chambers. But then, if we get rid of all those, we need to build a squad and we get a higher quality one by signing new starters that push current ones down. 

1 hour ago, Stockbridgehibby said:

I think it’s helpful to be specific.  May I ask, of those who propose to sell McGinn, the captain:

a) how much they think they will get for him next summer (assuming he continues his largely good form; I understand it’s not being suggested that he should be sold in January);

b) who, among those who might realistically be available, would they wish to replace him; and

c) how much they consider that such a replacement is likely to cost?

Just to be clear: I am not saying McGinn shouldn’t be sold.  Although he has pledged himself to Villa (what price that in today’s market?!), loyalty is a two- way street.  

hypothetically, if we sell McGinn this summer i'd expect. 

a) 50-60m

b) I'm sure Emery + Monchi could come up with options. Some off the top of my head- -- Pino, Almada, Moleiro, Veiga, Reyna etc. They all have different qualities but can play that attacking wide midfield role. 

C) No clue what they would cost

1 hour ago, ejs1111 said:

doesn't UCL have different FFP rules that will be coming into play?  Something about 90% turnover to wages, or 80%?  I thought that was going into effect next season- wonder if that will have a negative effect on Villa?

If we were to make it, then they do have a more stringent FFP we would have to comply with. 

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I'm not suggesting we sell all of them immediately. Presumably we bring in a RB in January. So there that covered. Then in the summer maybe we sell cash bring in an even better RB. But having 3 RBs is superfluous. So selling him would be necessary. 

But then once we have shifted Traore, Dendoncker, Chambers we don't really have any deadwood left in the squad. So we maybe bring in 2 other players in addition to the RB with general none player revenue. Then what Mcginn is just happy to be coming off the bench?

I mean if we look at our teams depth

Emi - New GK

New RB - Cash

Konsa - Carlos

Torres - Mings

Moreno - Digne

Kamara - New CDM/Tim

Luiz - X

Wingers/SS/CAM: Tielemans, Bailey, Diaby, Ramsey, Mcginn, Buendia 

Watkins - Duran

Like we have 6 players for 3 positions already, they can all pretty much play in any of those 3 roles. I think most of us would bring back Bidace and we might bring in zaniolo or sign another better winger. 

At which point we need to sell someone as you can't just have 8 players for one position even if McGinn, Tielemans and Ramsey are depth pieces for CM/CDM as well. We would need to sell someone. We presumably aren't selling Tielemans or diaby as they've just joined. Buendia is coming off a long term injury. Which leaves Ramsey, Bailey and Mcginn. Ramsey would bring in the biggest return but he in my opinion is most important to how we want to play and has the most potential. 

So Bailey and Mcginn. We could probably get like 30 mil for Bailey but Mcginn we could get somewhere in the 40-50 mil range which would cover us for whatever we purchase the new winger for basically. 

Cannot like this post enough. We probably have too many players for that advanced wide attacking midfield role (especially if the Zaniolo move becomes permanent). I think Bailey is probably going to be sold in the summer and that will be the first team player who gets shifted (and maybe Cash but that's another story). 

24 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

I don't think he would be easy to replace, at all. My point is that hypothetically replacing Ollie Watkins or Douglas Luiz (and what either of them bring to the team) will be a lot harder than replace than John McGinn. *this is not me saying that I want to sell McGinn at all

Getting the CL revenue is a game changer, but if we don't I don't know exactly what we do. From that group of players, we probably only get money back for Dendonker and maybe Sanson and Chambers. But then, if we get rid of all those, we need to build a squad and we get a higher quality one by signing new starters that push current ones down. 

hypothetically, if we sell McGinn this summer i'd expect. 

a) 50-60m

b) I'm sure Emery + Monchi could come up with options. Some off the top of my head- -- Pino, Almada, Moleiro, Veiga, Reyna etc. They all have different qualities but can play that attacking wide midfield role. 

C) No clue what they would cost

If we were to make it, then they do have a more stringent FFP we would have to comply with. 

Cannot like this post enough. We probably have too many players for that advanced wide attacking midfield role (especially if the Zaniolo move becomes permanent). I think Bailey is probably going to be sold in the summer and that will be the first team player who gets shifted (and maybe Cash but that's another story). 

Interesting post.  

b)  Very promising talent, mostly quite raw, with a corresponding element of risk, but if they worked out, could last 2/3 years until Villa fans insisted they be “upgraded”.  

c)  This is a key part of the equation.  They are currently valued by Transfermarkt as being at least as expensive, if not more so, than SJM.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stockbridgehibby said:

Interesting post.  

b)  Very promising talent, mostly quite raw, with a corresponding element of risk, but if they worked out, could last 2/3 years until Villa fans insisted they be “upgraded”.  

c)  This is a key part of the equation.  They are currently valued by Transfermarkt as being at least as expensive, if not more so, than SJM.  

yeah, I would be shocked if it happened at all. But the reality of FFP will be different depending on where we finish in May. Who knows. And yes, all young talent that have potential to go very far in the game but need to prove it. 

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're not selling our captain in summer. Jesus wept

it's a hypothetical situation that @Stockbridgehibbyasked folks to answer. There's a less than 1% chance he gets sold this summer. 

21 hours ago, paul514 said:

his stats look rubbish

What like being in the 97th percentile among midfielders in Europe’s top five leagues for pass completion (90.9% per 90) last season. Or being in the 94th percentile for Total Carrying Distance in Europe’s top five leagues (298.9 yards per 90) or the fact he covered an average of 12.2km per 90 in Ligue 1 last season, only behind one other player. Oh and finally the fact he was named the  best central midfielder by French sports news outlet Get French Football News at the end of the 2022/23 season ahead of the likes of Marco Veratti, Vitinha and Fabian Ruiz… Not bad for a player whose just starting his 3rd season in professional football 

Edited by thabucks

31 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Legia keeper looked good in a sweeper keeper role and is only 22. If we are looking for a back up maybe its a scouting option as granted this is just a one off viewing

Interesting, I thought he looked a bit dodgy performing that role today 

8 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

so, we keep McGinn for his performances over the year but then could sacrifice Luiz or Watkins who have had better overall performances than him over the year. I'd also argue that replacing McGinn would be far easier than Watkins or Luiz for the roles they play in the system. I don't see that at all tbh

its the massive fee that's all

4 hours ago, thabucks said:

What like being in the 97th percentile among midfielders in Europe’s top five leagues for pass completion (90.9% per 90) last season. Or being in the 94th percentile for Total Carrying Distance in Europe’s top five leagues (298.9 yards per 90) or the fact he covered an average of 12.2km per 90 in Ligue 1 last season, only behind one other player. Oh and finally the fact he was named the  best central midfielder by French sports news outlet Get French Football News at the end of the 2022/23 season ahead of the likes of Marco Veratti, Vitinha and Fabian Ruiz… Not bad for a player whose just starting his 3rd season in professional football 

link the source the stats I have are below and they are crap

https://fbref.com/en/players/82464ce3/Salis-Abdul-Samed

And as you have copy/pasted from a teamtalk story from earlier today saying he is a good replacement for Luiz, here is his link 

https://fbref.com/en/players/6f7d826d/Douglas-Luiz

Edited by paul514

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're not selling our captain in summer. Jesus wept

I agree - but then I guess if we WERE in a situation where we were offered £40-50m for each of McGinn, Kamara, DL or Ramsey and had to sell one… McGinn is the one I’d want to say yes to (value vs age etc). However I much prefer to keep him (and Mings) as they get older because there is HUGE value in my opinion to having senior players who won promotion to the PL still in our squad however good we get (like Lewis Dunk at Brighton). Adds something special.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Frimpong from Leverkusen at RB. If we could afford it that's all I would do in January.

Imagine the pace on both sides.

They are in a title race they aren't going to sell him this Jan. 40 mil euro release clause in the summer though. Sign a better sitting RB in Jan someone like Geertruida from Feyenoord (who can also be cover for Kamara) or a straight upgrade to cash someone like Boey. 

15 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I'm not suggesting we sell all of them immediately. Presumably we bring in a RB in January. So there that covered. Then in the summer maybe we sell cash bring in an even better RB. But having 3 RBs is superfluous. So selling him would be necessary. 

But then once we have shifted Traore, Dendoncker, Chambers we don't really have any deadwood left in the squad. So we maybe bring in 2 other players in addition to the RB with general none player revenue. Then what Mcginn is just happy to be coming off the bench?

I mean if we look at our teams depth

Emi - New GK

New RB - Cash

Konsa - Carlos

Torres - Mings

Moreno - Digne

Kamara - New CDM/Tim

Luiz - X

Wingers/SS/CAM: Tielemans, Bailey, Diaby, Ramsey, Mcginn, Buendia 

Watkins - Duran

Like we have 6 players for 3 positions already, they can all pretty much play in any of those 3 roles. I think most of us would bring back Bidace and we might bring in zaniolo or sign another better winger. 

At which point we need to sell someone as you can't just have 8 players for one position even if McGinn, Tielemans and Ramsey are depth pieces for CM/CDM as well. We would need to sell someone. We presumably aren't selling Tielemans or diaby as they've just joined. Buendia is coming off a long term injury. Which leaves Ramsey, Bailey and Mcginn. Ramsey would bring in the biggest return but he in my opinion is most important to how we want to play and has the most potential. 

So Bailey and Mcginn. We could probably get like 30 mil for Bailey but Mcginn we could get somewhere in the 40-50 mil range which would cover us for whatever we purchase the new winger for basically. 

I see your point, but if it were a  choice between Bailey or McGinn, there really isn't any choice in my opinion. 

16 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Unless we get Champions League in the summer, I'm under the assumption that we wouldn't have the FFP headroom to spend big on another 3 top players without selling a first team regular. 

I haven't done the sums on that, because we will be getting CL and winning the Conference League. ;)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

I see your point, but if it were a  choice between Bailey or McGinn, there really isn't any choice in my opinion. 

Yes but the choice isn't just between Bailey and mcginn. Bailey still has like 8 mil of FFP cost on the books Mcginn has zero. Mcginn could likely be sold for more as well. If you are talking nearly 20 mil in ffp difference that's a big deal in terms of bringing in top quality players. Also maybe we don't have any takers for Bailey. 

Also mcginn is older, we as fans have no clue how he will age. The club will have a much better idea of it I would imagine. If McGinn is one of those players that just falls off a cliff once he hits 32 then the club need to sell him between now and then. 

Edited by MotoMkali

16 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Unless we get Champions League in the summer, I'm under the assumption that we wouldn't have the FFP headroom to spend big on another 3 top players without selling a first team regular. 

I think it depends what you mean. I think if the outlay is around 100 mil then I think we'd probably be fine. 

If the outlay is more like 130-150 I imagine we have to be facilitating that with sales. And presumably since we will bring back JPB. That's another 10-15 cost we will have to foot as well. Plus whatever happens with zaniolo. So even if we sell guys like Donk, Sanson, Chambers etc. That's likely only covering 1 of the wingers. So yes if we are talking 3 players who's average values are at our current record fee then yes we will have to move players on 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 1