January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

I see David de Gea is still looking for a club. Wonder if he fancies boarding the Emery Express on an interim deal, maybe playing all the Cup games......be a definite upgrade on Olsen, plus a chance to get himself back in the shop window ?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dillon66 said:

I see David de Gea is still looking for a club. Wonder if he fancies boarding the Emery Express on an interim deal, maybe playing all the Cup games......be a definite upgrade on Olsen, plus a chance to get himself back in the shop window ?

I suspect if he was willing to be our back up keeper on sensible wages he would not still be a free agent. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, david-avfc said:

I do agree Olsen is a weak point in the squad, but it’s probably a harder position to fill than you’d think. You need a goalie who is good enough to play in the PL but not good enough to be a regular PL starter anywhere, it’s a narrow margin and with the way keepers are now expected to play with the ball it’s not like you could just get some random old guy or mediocre championship keeper who’s never played that way before in their career. I hope they do find an upgrade but I wouldn’t be shocked if they’re unable to do so given the required criteria.

Dubravka, Fabianski, Verbruggen, Henderson, Odisseas & Petrović are some of the backup keepers at teams below us in the league and I'd happily take any of them over Olsen. Even if we can't find a replacement in the short-term who is as adept in the build-up play as we'd like, surely there have to be decent options out there who could outperform Olsen in the other aspects of goalkeeping. If nothing else, it would be good to have a reserve goalie who doesn't radiate nervousness whenever he's on the pitch.

Olsen, Dendonker, Chambers, Hause, Traore - I think they will move on soon.

We need a reliable backup GK who fits our style of play. I assume Monchi and Emery are on the case for getting that profile in. 

We really need another Striker. Ideally someone experienced and happy to fit the role of coming off the bench or playing less often. 

We also need the replacement for Dendonker, a more defensive minded CM who can play similar role to Kamara. 

How much of this is really achievable in Jan is unknown. I think a lot of it will be for summer business. 

I'm not as yet convinced with Zaniolo off the left, it doesn't suit him and I think we can do better next summer in signing a big attacking talent with Zaniolo and Traore out and a new Striker and Attacker in. 

25 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'm not as yet convinced with Zaniolo off the left, it doesn't suit him and I think we can do better next summer in signing a big attacking talent with Zaniolo and Traore out and a new Striker and Attacker in. 

I noticed against Fulham or AZ (can't for the life of me remember which one now for some reason) he came on up top and Ollie pushed out wide.  I wonder if Emery also doesn't think he is hitting the levels he expected out wide so is experimenting with him as our back up to Ollie in the knowledge that Ramsey is coming to take the wide slot?

I anticipate that Emi will be between the sticks for all our remaining games, other than our final group game (if we've won our next one by two goals) and perhaps an FA Cup game. Other than that, we would be looking for cover in case of injury (surely we have already had our fair share of those). Finding someone who like Olsen, would be prepared to sign in those circumstances would be difficult, perhaps we know of someone in Spain?

Back up for Cash would be the next target unless UE is content to use Konsa there for the odd game. I'm sure there would be full backs in the EFL or abroad that would jump at the opportunity to have a place in our squad. The same applies to the striker we need, should Watkins need a rest or have an enforced one, do we loan out Duran or can we rely on using him for anything other than the odd game/few minutes? 

Who knows we may pull a rabbit out of the hat again. There may be a player that we had wanted in the summer that now becomes available and we have to sign. For once, we are building from a position of strength. We are not desperate and a lot of players will see us as a very desirable destination. It will be an interesting window, particularly if we are still in/within touch of the top five in January.  

• Like 1

For Watkins cover/comp I’d love us to go for Gimenez at Feyenoord but he might be on Tottenhams radar. 

Failing that Serhou Guirassy at Stuttgart is a good shout, strong, agile and a decent scoring record across his career. At 27 he might be ok playing second fiddle to Ollie compared to Gimenez. 

10 hours ago, Dillon66 said:

Not a chance

On 14/11/2023 at 23:47, paul514 said:

Back up keeper isn’t that hard you just get an experienced pro prob over 32 which isn’t old in goalkeeper terms who is super professional and wants a good contract

All boxes that Olsen ticked when signing 😂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, burchy said:

For Watkins cover/comp I’d love us to go for Gimenez at Feyenoord but he might be on Tottenhams radar. 

Failing that Serhou Guirassy at Stuttgart is a good shout, strong, agile and a decent scoring record across his career. At 27 he might be ok playing second fiddle to Ollie compared to Gimenez. 

He is in the form of his career. I highly doubt he would be happy to come as an alternate to Ollie

I think  is says a lot - in a good way - that we're only a few weeks away from the window, and this thread is a) a lot smaller than it might be usually  and b) isn't  full  of posts about  needing to ditch players or sign mediocre dross to fill obvious gaping holes in the squad. 

Obviously there's  still that time to change and if it does, I will  heartily be jumping  on the sign Rashica/today's  equivalent  band wagon with all the fish I can afford. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, bcarpet said:

I noticed against Fulham or AZ (can't for the life of me remember which one now for some reason) he came on up top and Ollie pushed out wide.  I wonder if Emery also doesn't think he is hitting the levels he expected out wide so is experimenting with him as our back up to Ollie in the knowledge that Ramsey is coming to take the wide slot?

I think Zaniolo is best centrally but I don't think he fits there as he's not near Watkins level as a Striker. Doesn't have the finishing ability. He also doesn't have the skilled link play as a 10 that Diaby is so good at. 

To me he needs to play off RM but McGinn owns RM and with Diaby more the Right 10 we need LM to be the 2nd 10.

Zaniolo is clearly very talented and he will probably come good but feels a utility attacking player tbh. 

1 hour ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I think  is says a lot - in a good way - that we're only a few weeks away from the window, and this thread is a) a lot smaller than it might be usually  and b) isn't  full  of posts about  needing to ditch players or sign mediocre dross to fill obvious gaping holes in the squad. 

Obviously there's  still that time to change and if it does, I will  heartily be jumping  on the sign Rashica/today's  equivalent  band wagon with all the fish I can afford. 

So you’re saying there’s still time to scale things up ?

• Haha 1