Air Fryers and Meal Ideas

Genie

I’m late to the party but have one coming tomorrow.

I was waiting for a deal on a Ninja that never came, and also read some negative comments on them which put me off paying the premium for the name.

I ended up going with the very popular Tower T17088 9L Dual Basket Vortx for a bargain £94 delivered.

I’m not much of a cook, but wanted to help out a bit more now the wife is working full time as we try stave off the cost of living crisis.

I thought the novelty factor might be fun, a bit like barbecuing doesn’t really feel like cooking.

So, anybody got any good recommendations of meals that work very well from an air fryer?

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was waiting for a deal on a Ninja that never came, and also read some negative comments on them which put me off paying the premium for the name.

I ended up going with the very popular Tower T17088 9L Dual Basket Vortx for a bargain £94 delivered.

I’m not much of a cook, but wanted to help out a bit more now the wife is working full time as we try stave off the cost of living crisis.

I thought the novelty factor might be fun, a bit like barbecuing doesn’t really feel like cooking.

So, anybody got any good recommendations of meals that work very well from an air fryer?

Ive got the ninja and ots worth every penny. Brilliant and one of my favourite ever purchases. Id opt for the 11 in 1 if you can afford the premium  price

Does literally everything 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Dave,  as ever you'll find some saddo who is only too keen to show off their skills on YouTube. I would imagine your new toy will come with a recipe book which may be useful. 

Trial and error really.....start with simple stuff like chicken breasts in mixed herb or spice coating or jacket spuds....I see my airfryer (ninja 11 in 1) as an alternate way to cook the same food rather than new recipes - at the moment anyway. 

If all else fails, I fall back on my slow cooker for a juicy gammon joint or a tasty curry....

• Like 3

I love ours - we got a counter top one about a year ago.

About to remodel the kitchen and getting new appliances. The convection microwave has an air fryer built so does the new wall oven. Saving counter space!

After owning one, it seems somewhat archaic to heat up a massive oven if you are just cooking a protein to have with salad & or starch. It's also great if you have kids - air frying fish fingers or chicken nuggets is incredibly easy and I'm sure more economical than doing them in the oven.

I like to get nice thin boneless pork chops. Flour, egg wash then dunked in panko crumbs laced with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Throw them in the airfyer, spray with olive oil and 15 mins later crunchy porky goodness.

• Like 4

Even stuff like oven chips just cook better in them than the oven.

Burgers cook incredibly well as do chicken breasts. I even chuck the burger buns in for a couple of minutes to toast then slightly. With burgers and sausages etc, they do seal really well so you might find you need to pierce them before eating to let the fat sealed in drain out, especially with the thicker burgers

Baked potatoes also cook surprisingly well

We generally only use the oven now if we're doing a full on roast dinner or the missus is making a cake

As someone else said, you just end up cooking most things in it and eating what you used to eat. Sure there’s recipes out there specifically for them but you can bring those in to play later.

One thing I do in there are sweet potato fries which we never really could make from scratch before

You should have ignored the bad ninja reviews, they will have been written by imbeciles

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Chips

Was going to say go down Iceland and get yourself 7 different flavours of crispy chicken

Seriously... Me and my wife love wraps with salad, air fryer crispy chicken is perfect, same with Chinese food or say katsu curry, we've got corn flake chicken strips here (fresh not frozen) perfect for katsu curry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh there’s also a load of recipes on the ninja kitchen website which should be easy enough to use in any air fryer 

I think it’ll come with a recipe book which should provide some ideas.

34 minutes ago, bickster said:

You should have ignored the bad ninja reviews, they will have been written by imbeciles

I think the one i’m getting it’s almost the same spec wise as the ninja. If I find I’m missing out on something I can always replace this one down the line. At £94 it’s not the end of the world. I just got bored of waiting for a good deal and some stock of the Ninja brand.

I’ll start with some basic stuff like chicken breasts, baked potatoes, loaded potato skins etc and then work up to more exciting stuff. 

Edited by Genie

57 minutes ago, bickster said:

Whats this? We agree on something? Am i in the twilight zone? 😂

100% this. Ninja is the. I rarely use my oven. The ninja cooks its better quicker and cheaper to run. Whats not to like!

• Like 1

So these are actually worth having then? Can it slow cook as well?

I've got no space for any more appliances really. Replacement for a built-in microwave sounds like a good idea whenever I need a new one, on the slim chance it would fit the same space.

10 hours ago, Genie said:

You've no chance mate. People who own air fryers don't like to talk about it. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

So these are actually worth having then? Can it slow cook as well?

I've got no space for any more appliances really. Replacement for a built-in microwave sounds like a good idea whenever I need a new one, on the slim chance it would fit the same space.

You can get a pressure cooker / airfryer - There's definitely a ninja one of those.

There's two types of air fryer really, the bigger round single chamber ones that you can cook a whole chicken in, they are the ones you can get as a combo pressure cooker or the smaller basket ones, most of the smaller basket ones come as doubles that will cook independently of each other. We went for the double basket Ninja because it suits our needs more and the cooking two different things at once option makes it more versatile.

• Thanks 1

I had one and only used it around 5 times, it was excellent but in our kitchen it took up a lot of space and when we didnt use it for around 8 months I gave it to a friend, he uses it daily and still thinks its the most powerful tool in cooking technology since toasting.

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

You can get a pressure cooker / airfryer - There's definitely a ninja one of those.

There's two types of air fryer really, the bigger round single chamber ones that you can cook a whole chicken in, they are the ones you can get as a combo pressure cooker or the smaller basket ones, most of the smaller basket ones come as doubles that will cook independently of each other. We went for the double basket Ninja because it suits our needs more and the cooking two different things at once option makes it more versatile.

You can cook a (small-ish) whole chicken in a dual drawer version

air-fryer-roast-chicken-6-720x540.jpg

I do all sorts in these, loads of types of stir fry, curry, home made chicken nuggets, cakes, even scrambled egg. Always comes out perfectly. The only drag is that it can be a pig to clean, so I will often stop the cooking to stir more frequently so nothing gets stuck to the bottom or the sides.

Â