Predict the whole Premier League 2023-24

OutByEaster?

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Villa runners-up? I'd love that to be true, but I can't see it this season. 

Fair enough.

I think we are going to surprise people - even our own fans. I believe Emery is the 2nd best manager in the league after Pep.

• Like 1

1.  Manchester City - They should be untouchable; phenomenal talent pool, phenomenal coach.  It would be a big surprise if they failed to win the league again (but fingers crossed they do!).

2.  Arsenal - Stronger for the experience of last season, showed they can be cagey and tactical against Man City in the Community Shield.  The gap between 2nd and 4th will be smaller than that between 1st and 2nd, but I think Arsenal will have a good season.

3.  Liverpool - Gut feeling that they'll be hungry to right the wrongs of last season.  A lot will depend on how that midfield clicks, but they're a very good side on paper.  Sneaky feeling that Nunez is going to have a strong season.

4.  Manchester United - I think this is where predicting becomes a bit tougher; there's not really that much to be excited about for Man Utd in my eyes.  Ten Hag is a good coach, though, and they have the sort of pool of talent that should be able to secure a top 4 finish.

5.  Chelsea - Maybe... maybe not.  They've been an absolute basket case club but... they've actually got some really, really exciting young players.  Pochettino should be able to get a decent tune out of them and I think they'll be exciting to watch (a massive change from last season).  They could also be awful and come 12th again.

6.  Aston Villa  - I don't like predicting us this high, and who knows what European football may mean in terms of league performance, but we're in the best shape that I can remember and will be a real handful for every side this season.

7.  Newcastle United - They're a well-drilled side who will be buoyed by a Champions League campaign (even if that ends sooner than they'd hope).  I think their additions have been smart and they'll be up there again this season.  Tough first game for Villa.

8.  Tottenham Hotspur - So much depends on the Harry Kane transfer saga and the reality is they could be a couple of places higher or lower than this but I just don't see them as a credible threat to the top 4 and the newcomers to the top table (Villa, Newcastle and Brighton) are in better spirits than Spurs.  Another European-less season (edit:  unless 8th gets it this time?)

9.  Brighton - The best team to watch in the league last season and one who largely seem to get their recruitment right, even when losing key players.  I quite fancy them for a decent European run and, with the 3 sides above them in this, could finish in any of these positions.  I think we've got a possible "big 9" rather than "big 6" these days.

10.  Burnley - I'm going there.  There's often a promoted team which does surprisingly well, and I can see Burnley being that team.  Exciting recruitment of talented youngsters after a season in which they blew away the Championship.  Lovely style of play and, as long as they can replace Tella's goals, I think they'll do well.

11.  Brentford - Another team who get their recruitment generally right.  Missing Toney could be a big blow but, on the evidence of the end of last season, I think they'll cope well enough.  Very exciting going forward and with a further PL season under their belt, they'12.ll do relatively well again.

12.  West Ham - This is where the predicting gets hard, in my eyes.  12th to 20th could really be anyone.  I think West Ham will fare better on the back of their European success, though I have no idea what the impact of Rice leaving will actually have on them.  Could be here, could be 17th.  I think they'll be safe, though.

13.  Crystal Palace - The most midtable of all the midtable sides ever to exist in the Prem.  Zaha is a big miss for them but, more importantly, they've currently held on to Olise and Eze who are seriously good players.  If they leave, I'd predict them to be way lower as they simply don't have goals up top.  However, with them there, they remain in midtable land.

14.  Fulham - Not fully convinced by their transfers, whether Jimenez is capable of scoring goals still or whether Mitrovic gets his way and moves to Saudi Arabia.  They've got a suspect defence but decent attacking options so think they'll be in the lower mid.

15.  Nottingham Forest - Slightly heart over head here perhaps, but they're only this high because the clubs below them are in varying degrees of trouble.  Awful pre-season where they can't score goals and striker is a real worry, but Gibbs-White and Johnson are probably the most exciting attacking pairing in the bottom half and they'll steer Forest just about clear.

16.  Everton -  Dyche did an alright job last season, but it really feels like Everton are on a stay of execution.  Really not much optimism here and could easily go down.  I think they survive purely because of Dyche and purely on grind factor.

17.  Luton Town - You know that promoted team that surprisingly starts well but then gets figured out and drops like a stone?  Luton.  I think they'll surprise everyone and scrape survival.  They play with an intensity and aggressiveness that teams won't like to come up against and Nakamba is going to boss it, so there.

18.  Bournemouth - I can't fathom why they sacked O'Neil after the job he did but, equally, I don't think they looked particularly great under him.  They've spent a decent chunk of change and will need everything to gel quickly as they have a fairly tricky start.  The spirit of Luton will pip them to safety.

19.  Wolves - Some decent players, but the place feels like it's in a bit of turmoil.  Gary O'Neil did a great job at Bournemouth but it felt like a garnered spirit thing rather than any tactical nous and I think he'll struggle at Wolves.  There's often a big club that struggles and Wolves will go.

20.  Sheffield United - Is there anything to get excited about here?  Best players leaving, nothing coming in, only scored in 2 pre-season games against fairly weak competition.  I'd be amazed if they stay up.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Fair enough.

I think we are going to surprise people - even our own fans. I believe Emery is the 2nd best manager in the league after Pep.

To finish 2nd we're probably going to need about 80 points.

I know we got 61 in the end after a very poor opening two months but it's still a very big ask, basically win about 15 home games and then 10 + away while juggling the cups.

Beyond us this season imo but we can still fight for 4th-6th if we get off to a good start.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

To finish 2nd we're probably going to need about 80 points.

I know we got 61 in the end after a very poor opening two months but it's still a very big ask, basically win about 15 home games and then 10 + away while juggling the cups.

Beyond us this season imo but we can still fight for 4th-6th if we get off to a good start.

I get you, and of course I'm aware I'm being optimistic. Your argument that it is beyond us this season, with all of the games we have to play, is perfectly valid.

However Unai's point per game with us over 25 games (two thirds of a season) is 1.96ppg. Over 38 games that is 74.48 points for the season. I think it is easy to argue that we could better 1.96ppg because:
1. We have improved the squad 
2. Emery has had a complete pre-season with the players (where we have looked very good IMO)

Even a small adjustment to 2.1PPG would have us meet your 80 point total.

The proof will be in the pudding though - I just know I haven't been as excited for a season for a long time.

1. Villa

2. Man City

3. Arsenal

4.  Man Utd

5. Newcastle

6. Liverpool

7. Brighton

8. Brentford

9. Chelsea

10. Spurs

11. Burnley

12. Fulham

13. West Ham

14. Forest

15. Everton

16. Bournemouth

17. Palace

18. Wolves

19. Sheffield United

20. Luton

8 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I get you, and of course I'm aware I'm being optimistic. Your argument that it is beyond us this season, with all of the games we have to play, is perfectly valid.

However Unai's point per game with us over 25 games (two thirds of a season) is 1.96ppg. Over 38 games that is 74.48 points for the season. I think it is easy to argue that we could better 1.96ppg because:
1. We have improved the squad 
2. Emery has had a complete pre-season with the players (where we have looked very good IMO)

Even a small adjustment to 2.1PPG would have us meet your 80 point total.

The proof will be in the pudding though - I just know I haven't been as excited for a season for a long time.

That's true....I'd be far more confident though if you'd actually started the Newcastle pre match thread and got the cup final mentality installed on this forum from first game...😉

• Haha 1

1. Man City
  2. Chelsea 
  3. Man United 
  4. Arsenal
  5. Liverpool 
  6. Villa
  7. Newcastle
  8. Spurs
  9. Brighton
  10. West Ham 
  11. Palace
  12. Fulham
  13. Everton 
  14. Wolves
  15. Bournemouth 
  16. Burnley
  17. Forrest
  18. Brentford 
  19. Sheffield United
  20. Luton

1 Manchester City
2 Liverpool
3 Chelsea
4 Arsenal
5 Tottenham Hotspur
6 Manchester United
7 Aston Villa
8 Newcastle United
9 Brighton & Hove Albion
10 Brentford
11 Crystal Palace
12 West Ham United
13 Nottingham Forest
14 Bournemouth
15 Burnley
16 Fulham
17 Everton
18 Wolverhampton Wanderers
19 Luton Town
20 Sheffield United

• 6 months later...

Interesting reading back, so many people fell for the Burnley hype

Though i did predict Sheffield United to stay up, Brentford to have a good season and Wolves to go down 😂

• Like 1

Quite happy with my predictions bar Burnley and Man Utd. 

Newcastle and Brentford I had higher positions but both have had bad injury problems. 

I put Liverpool to win the league and I still think that will happen as much as I'd like to avoid it. 

• Like 1

I didn’t partake, so I’m in no position to critique those who submitted their predictions now.

However, I wouldn’t be surprised if any Wolves supporters reading this thread would do so while having a quiet smile on their face.

For the sake of transparency, they are doing better than I thought they would.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I didn’t partake, so I’m in no position to critique those who submitted their predictions now.

However, I wouldn’t be surprised if any Wolves supporters reading this thread would do so while having a quiet smile on their face.

For the sake of transparency, they are doing better than I thought they would.

Nah they all thought they would struggle no different to what we thought.  Gary O'Neil has done an amazing job really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

Nah they all thought they would struggle no different to what we thought.  Gary O'Neil has done an amazing job really.

Yeah but it’s natural to take more glee in an opposition fanbase’s incorrect predictions of your team’s downfall than reflect on your own equally incorrect prediction.

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Interesting reading back, so many people fell for the Burnley hype

Though i did predict Sheffield United to stay up, Brentford to have a good season and Wolves to go down 😂

I thought they wouid do better after the season they had in the championship. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

I thought they wouid do better after the season they had in the championship. 

Me too, I at least thought they'd try and play some football, hard to really say I told you so to people who expected them to be better when they've abandoned everything that made them good in the Championship 

Â