Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

22 hours ago, Ingers said:

SFcVn34.png

This one is a little polarising  - we already do, but this would 'own the city'.....

This is worth it just to piss off the Blues fans.

2 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

This is worth it just to piss off the Blues fans.

For me Aston is in the city of Birmingham but it stands apart and above Birmingham in football terms. Any connection, suggestion or allusion regarding Birmingham just contaminates our name.

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I forget which one of you on here did this. but found in in my phone when looking for something.

Still outstanding IMO

IMG-20240429-WA0001.jpg

One thing for sure, I can't believe people sill do mock ups with the lion being claret, the gold is just glorious sublime 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I forget which one of you on here did this. but found in in my phone when looking for something.

Still outstanding IMO

IMG-20240429-WA0001.jpg

This is far and away the best one out there. 

would maybe change the blue to white? Less spammy 

1 hour ago, Alakagom said:

One thing for sure, I can't believe people sill do mock ups with the lion being claret, the gold is just glorious sublime 

Because some people, myself included, feel that a blue background for the crest works best against the claret home shirt to help it stand out. A gold or yellow lion doesn't work against the blue background though so the best option is claret.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Still outstanding IMO

IMG-20240429-WA0001.jpg

I would be happy with that!

I admire the effort you all put in to make such great looking badges. But I can’t help feel it’s wasted time, given we won’t be getting anything near the quality you have all put on display so far. Why titillate us like this? Don’t you guys have a day job or something?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PerryBarrPet said:

For me Aston is in the city of Birmingham but it stands apart and above Birmingham in football terms. Any connection, suggestion or allusion regarding Birmingham just contaminates our name.

I must admit I find this a peculiar perspective bearing in mind Villa's crest appeared to be this this for seventy years. 

Aston-Villa-FC-1886-1956.png?resize=171,

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I must admit I find this a peculiar perspective bearing in mind Villa's crest appeared to be this this for seventy years. 

I know all this. I’ve been a Villa fan for over 70 years. This particular crest was the second, being used in 1886 following from the original Lion Rampant. By the early 50’s when I started going to Villa Park the crest had reverted to a lion in a shield and a lion it has been ever since with, from time to time, the words ‘Prepared’ or ‘Aston Villa’ being included. In fact if you look at old pictures of our team that won the league in 1899 you will see they had no crest on their shirt so given our history and original crest we should have a lion with no reference - however subtle - to Birmingham.

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Still outstanding IMO

IMG-20240429-WA0001.jpg

That would be me. Not that I'd necessarily do this from scratch for our badge, but just frustrating how easily fixable the supposed new badge is!

I prefer a gold lion but wouldn't mind any claret-blue combo as long as it has contrast

Edited by Muller Yogurt Long Sleever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Well it wasn’t our crest for 70 years.  There are countless inaccurate “histories” of the Villa badge on google unfortunately so I understand why these myths gain traction.  There is one that dates Ellis’s striped shield to the 1970s and thinks our official badge had “mita” in it in the 1980s.

14 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

There are countless inaccurate “histories” of the Villa badge

Fair enough ... what was Villa's crest between 1886 and 1956?

The round badge from 82 is what some posters prefer. Common consensus is the like roper branded shirt will go down as a classic …The Lerner era badge certainly stands out on that shirt. 

So I don’t get that the same posters bemoan the use of a blue background for the NSWE crest. 
image.thumb.jpeg.ea246ccb81e263580763c87fa66e21d8.jpeg

IMG_9901.webp

40 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

I know all this. I’ve been a Villa fan for over 70 years.

You have me beat ... my first Villa game in 1960,

43 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

By the early 50’s when I started going to Villa Park the crest had reverted to a lion

Legend has it, it was 1956.

44 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

so given our history and original crest we should have a lion with no reference - however subtle - to Birmingham.

This assertion makes absolutely no sense to me ... having spent all my formative years in Brum and supporting Villa.

Also by your logic, the lion should to sinister or contourné, which I have no problem with and have suggested a few times.

12 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

You have me beat ... my first Villa game in 1960,

Legend has it, it was 1956.

This assertion makes absolutely no sense to me ... having spent all my formative years in Brum and supporting Villa.

Also by your logic, the lion should to sinister or contourné, which I have no problem with and have suggested a few times.

My logic is clear: Lion Rampant as we had originally with Aston Villa and 1874 if we must. There are times when an approach of never mentioned but never forgotten has a class of its own.

Also since the 1960’s we have used the lion so why your lurch to include Birmingham in our identity?

57 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Also since the 1960’s we have used the lion so why your lurch to include Birmingham in our identity?

I have no problem with a lion especially a rampant contourné one. Why an element of the City of Birmingham crest?

1. Aston Villa is in Birmingham and a proud part of its history. cf moving a new stadium Solihull?
  2. Without the City of Birmingham there probably would be no AVFC. Maybe an Aston City or Town.
  3. Those elements have been part of Villa's tradition for a long time.
  4. It would piss off Blues fans no-end. They can't be bothered to have elements of their supposed City on their crest.
57 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

My logic is clear:

Not really ... your preferences are clear.

Edited by fruitvilla

50 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I have no problem with a lion especially a rampant contourné one. Why an element of the City of Birmingham crest?

1. Aston Villa is in Birmingham and a proud part of its history. cf moving a new stadium Solihull?
  2. Without the City of Birmingham there probably would be no AVFC. Maybe an Aston City or Town.
  3. Those elements have been part of Villa's tradition for a long time.
  4. It would piss off Blues fans no-end. They can't be bothered to have elements of their supposed City on their crest.

Not really ... your preferences are clear.

No. Our original crest does not need the enhancements you prefer.

1. Yes Aston Villa is in Birmingham and Birmingham takes pride in this but this history is Aston Villa’s not Birmingham’s.

2.  No. You have a right to your opinion but to suggest that AVFC owes its existence to there being a City of Birmingham has, in my opinion, no foundation other than this area had a growing industrial population at that time. After all Aston has an older history than Birmingham which only gained city status in 1889, 15 years after Villa was founded.

3. Villa has a long proud tradition which owes little if anything to the fact that Aston is now in Birmingham. Our history is built on sporting tradition not being part of a large conurbation.

4. Not the slightest bit interested in what Blues fans might think. With any luck next season we will be going to the Bernabeu while they will be going to Burton. Why on earth would we want to modify our proud historic crest just to play puerile games with them?

So your views are not mine but so what: we have to wait to see Heck’s final offering.

• Like 2

Â