Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

it's the Heck 12" Remix of the Lerner Crest

I've given up being arsed about such corporate nonsense but it's definitely amateurish

It probably saves them rebranding the stuff they haven't rebranded with the new / old round badge

The Lerner Crest was shite, so is this. The star shouldn't be in the badge at all it should be separate.

What happens if we win the CL next season? Are they going to put two stars there? That'll look dafter still, it'll look like a lion juggling stars. and more importantly, they'll have to change the branding again at huge cost just to accommodate the star.

Exceptionally good point.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rubberman said:

[whispers] I like kits with a sash (but ok for away, not home).

I thought we were rebranding to become 'unique' from a marketing perspective? To do that and then copy a Crystal Palace kit would be batshit crazy.  

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Lerner Crest was shite, so is this. The star shouldn't be in the badge at all it should be separate.

What happens if we win the CL next season? Are they going to put two stars there? That'll look dafter still, it'll look like a lion juggling stars. and more importantly, they'll have to change the branding again at huge cost just to accommodate the star.

100% this

still annoys me that the club backed down and didn't get on their soap box over it, I'll always regard the star on the badge as ironic as it is us meekly giving in at an attempt at bigging ourselves up, i really dont like it

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

The inclusion of white is bizarre but… one thing that is nagging at me… when watching Heck’s video for the 76ers rebrand… he talked a lot about history/heritage but one of his key points was “OWNING A COLOUR”…

Our main colour is claret… where TF is the claret on this badge? Pale blue and yellow have never been our main colours and never what we wanted to OWN…

Again, IF this is what they have chosen, it’s so lazy and uninspired but also foolish and pathetic - pointless is the word that keeps coming to me. Why even bother at all, this barely represents a “rebrand” at all…

Surely, there must be an alternative design… I just can’t believe that this is what will be chosen. The blue and yellow is so overpowering… those are not our colours… it’s actually an inferior version of our AVFC badge which at least had claret lettering… rather than this dark border with a WHITE??? line through it. There is no need for white whatsoever…

The old badge was a simple fix (if that’s all that was desired, a quick and lazy job) - either replace the blue background with claret and a gold lion to have some contrast and allow it to stand out. Or… a claret lion on a blue background. It was as simple as that and makes this design even more shocking and disappointing - it’s so stupid.

The club name at the bottom seems like an afterthought and a bit of an insult… ASTON VILLA, if it’s on the badge, should be prominent and distinct… at the top if anywhere.

Ironically, what I took from the AV150 logo, was the our main colour was going to be claret, followed by Gold and Blue.

Oh was I wrong... ( If the trademarked sticks )

It legit makes no sense from multiple angles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's quite funny if you read the ridiculous survey they sent out.

Q: "Which of the following is more important to you in reference to the combination of club colours"

1.  That only claret and blue are present 
  2. That the crest is mostly claret and blue but also visually striking and identifiable as far as possible
  3. That the crest is very striking and stands out, and I am flexible in terms of the balance of colours used

60% went for mostly claret and blue, option 2.

So they've made it mostly yellow and blue. Great job you bunch of **** jabronis.

I think this is the most disappointing thing for me that they've completely ignored democracy. We had the first survey, were given 2 badges to vote on which incorporated those things and then the round badge won. Most liked it but even if they didn't they could probably accept that it had won fair and square.

It seems Heck has been appointed to take control of these sort of things now i.e. branding so democracy has gone out the window. We had the 2nd survey with leading questions to try and maintain the illusion of fan involvement but those results show even that has been ignored.

We have effectively ended up with the same badge as before, arguably worse and fans trust has been damaged. Well done Heck 👍

• Like 1

The shadow is meh, but I don't actually mind it. In a way it makes sense to evolve the badge we've been wearing for 15ish years. I can see the logic of that (just a shame it was a pants badge).

It's OK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

If we put the current round badge and this new badge together and asked non villa fans which one they preferred, what do you think comes out on top?

This would be interesting. I definitely had a wtf reaction at first, but it was a bit kneejerk I feel.

5 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

If we put the current round badge and this new badge together and asked non villa fans which one they preferred, what do you think comes out on top?

Or even Villa fans.

I was tempted to make a new poll but I thought the mods might get cross.

a. Lerner badge

b. Current round badge

c. New shield badge

I kind of want it as a ranked list, because I have my suspicions about the current one being the one people want least.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Or even Villa fans.

I was tempted to make a new poll but I thought the mods might get cross.

a. Lerner badge

b. Current round badge

c. New shield badge

I kind of want it as a ranked list, because I have my suspicions about the current one being the one people want least.

The current round badge would win by a mile….not even close.  

• Like 4

The current round badge actually LOOKS professionally done.  This supposed badge by Heck literally looks like MS Paint.  Or an MLS badge.  Its embarrassing really.  I'm hopeful that these are only mock ups and not the final badges that were submitted.- which is possible.  If so- perhaps fan revolt can get them changed- like what happened with Leeds, West Ham, and Everton.  This is Aston Villa's branding and global identity ffs- potentially for the next decade during our most successful recent time as a football club.  Do we really want this Lerner-esque thing to define us?  I certainly do not.

This morning on Twitter I was scrolling through the Epstein docs looking for Heck's name- so Villa could sack him.  🤣

(not really)

Edited by ejs1111
  • Haha 1

The only issue I have with the round badge really is that at small scales it looks fairly, I don't know, heavy and blobby. I don't think it scales to small sizes particularly well, maybe because it is pretty dark overall.

Still a billion times better than the new abomination however.

Seeing them all together, it’s so obvious that the Lerner one is miles better than the new one and that the round one is better than both of them.

Look how proud and solid our name appears on the round one.  There’s a “permanent class” look about it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I’m back to hoping it’s not the real thing. 

“Examination” is just one of the legal stages (I think - I am a Trusts and Estates lawyer and know nothing about trademarks!)

8 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I’m back to hoping it’s not the real thing. 

It's marked as examination because it's been initially submitted and as such is pending the IPO's examination report.  It has nothing to do with our intentions when registering it. There is no process for submitting something for the lulz, or while you finalise a design. The IPO is not opening the submission process for people having a laugh, or yanks out of their depth to fish for feedback.

I can understand some wishful thinking from fans, and have no issue with you sharing a tweet, but I'm sick to the back teeth of some fans with platforms contributing misinformed bollocks on Twitter and Youtube when they clearly having no experience of working with the IPO.

Edited by Davkaus

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

It's marked as examination because it's been initially submitted and as such is pending the IPO's examination report.  It has nothing to do with our intentions when registering it.

I can understand some wishful thinking from fans, and have no issue with you sharing a tweet, but I'm sick to the back teeth of some fans with platforms contributing misinformed bollocks on Twitter and Youtube when they clearly having no experience of working with the IPO.

So…you’re saying there’s a chance?

• Haha 1

Â