Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

When the badge was firstly launched, I'm almost certain they literally said " a review will be done to gauge fan and market feedback " etc or something along those lines.

The speculation that it wouldn't be around long was there as soon as it was launched mate!

Hmmm, not sure. If there was a cooling off period, it wasn’t mentioned in the official club statement when they confirmed it had won the vote.

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?

The current crest will remain in place for the remainder of the 2022/23 season, with the new crest officially replacing it for the 2023/24 season, including being in place on next season’s kits, released next summer. The crest redesign will now also be factored into an evolution of the rest of our visual identity.

OS link

“factored into an evolution…”

That sentence gives them a little bit of wiggle room, e.g. using a lion without the circle, but my inference is “the designs are going to be based on this”.

I don’t take it to mean this will be reviewed and potentially scrapped.

And, just to confirm, I’m really not bothered about the circle badge.

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

What about the large percentage of fans who never liked the badge at all? ( I'm not even necessarily one of those btw, I'm neutral on it)

But the majority liked it, so majority wins which was the point of it all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Hmmm, not sure. If there was a cooling off period, it wasn’t mentioned in the official club statement when they confirmed it had won the vote.

OS link

“factored into an evolution…”

That sentence gives them a little bit of wiggle room, e.g. using a lion without the circle, but my inference is “the designs are going to be based on this”.

I don’t take it to mean this will be reviewed and potentially scrapped.

And, just to confirm, I’m really not bothered about the circle badge.

Yeah I couldn't find the quotes on OS either, but I vividly remember Bardell referring to some quotes and saying that the wording and quotes from the club make it seem like " This badge won't last ". I think I even remember Neil from For th Love of Paul McGrath inferring similar.

Unless those quotes were from a reporter, informal meeting, or Fan Advisory etc?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Why is it that we can " Trust the Manager " when it comes to things like tactics and signing players for example, " Trust the owners " when it comes to running the Direction of the club, but can't" Trust the CEO " put in place to do what hes been hired to do?

Which on the branding side, is to help streamline our branding and give us international appeal while being unique. ( He also has a positive track record in this area )

He hasn't even been here that long.

Because he keeps rubbing the fans the wrong way.  Emery has earned his credit and so have the owners. I loved signing Emery but not everybody was convinced, the owners were unknown but earn credit quickly.  Heck has come in caused a divide…

• Like 2

For me, the circle badge is a complete rip off of the Chelsea badge, with a shade of claret and blue that I don't particularly associate with Villa. I understand why it was chosen -- the alternative option was not good either, almost like Purslow wanted a reason that most would pick the round badge. 

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah I couldn't find the quotes on OS either, but I vividly remember Bardell referring to some quotes and saying that the wording and quotes from the club make it seem like " This badge won't last ". I think I even remember Neil from For th Love of Paul McGrath inferring similar.

Unless those quotes were from a reporter, informal meeting, or Fan Advisory etc?

There was to be a launch for the final game against Brighton and it was quietly ditched. Heck was announced around that time, he was paraded at the Brighton game.

Bardell's comments and Neill's comments were made after it was announced in July that Villa would assess reaction to the new badge. Prior Heck it was gung ho for the new badge. It was on the season ticket advertising. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A bit conflicted now, went onto the OS to find the launch story about the Round Badge, and actually realise I grew to quite like it as well ffs. ( I'm fickle AF ) 😂🤦🏿‍♂️

Exactly the same. And I think a lot are in that boat. And they initially said they’d gauge reaction to it as the season went on. Which was obviously total bullshit as we all knew it would be. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

For me, the circle badge is a complete rip off of the Chelsea badge, with a shade of claret and blue that I don't particularly associate with Villa. I understand why it was chosen -- the alternative option was not good either, almost like Purslow wanted a reason that most would pick the round badge. 

I saw a thumbnail of some Chelsea highlights on YouTube and I sat there confused for a second like when did we play Palace? Getting rid of it for that reason alone is justified.

• Like 2

What seems to (constantly) get lost in all the discussion about our badge, is the fact that our colours are claret and blue.  The 150 marque is predominantly claret and beige.  The Lerner badge was predominantly blue and yellow.  The one thing that I enjoyed about the two options given by Purslow is that both were predominantly claret and blue.  I fully understand the need for a third color and if it has to be "gold" then so be it (even though every single kit we've worn since about 1910 has been claret, blue and white), but gold/beige/yellow should not be one of the two predominant colours on our badge.  

Furthermore, the other two claret and blue premier league clubs have bloody gold on their badge!  Give me the Scunthorpe colour scheme all day!  (not the actual design though - it's awful)

image.png.a8ec2ba072fb6a728f881b77c6c028d9.pngimage.png.875d29273029c8d453800783431fd572.png  image.png.9246675f4cc8aab69e11b986cb938ead.png

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

But the majority liked it, so majority wins which was the point of it all.

"Liked" is doing a lot of work here. 

The majority liked it better than the Lerner badge and the majority voted for it over the shield version of the design, but that's a long way from the majority being over the moon with it. 

It's a 6.5/10 design and that was reflected in the underwhelmed response when it released. If it was a knockout design, we wouldn't be having this argument and the club wouldn't be reviewing it. 

5 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

"Liked" is doing a lot of work here. 

The majority liked it better than the Lerner badge and the majority voted for it over the shield version of the design, but that's a long way from the majority being over the moon with it. 

It's a 6.5/10 design and that was reflected in the underwhelmed response when it released. If it was a knockout design, we wouldn't be having this argument and the club wouldn't be reviewing it. 

It looks absolutely beautiful compared to the rumoured/leaked new badge though. 

Maybe that was the plan all along. Pretend they’re going back to a crap badge so that everyone realises the round badge is actually nice. 

Clever

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Chelsea rip off?! We had the round badge before Chelsea who didn't introduce it until 1986. Chelsea didn't even have the lion until 1952. 

To rip someone off you first need to copy them. Villa have never copied Chelsea. 

And then back to just blaming Purslow for anything apparently shit. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Chelsea rip off?! We had the round badge before Chelsea who didn't introduce it until 1986. Chelsea didn't even have the lion until 1952. 

To rip someone off you first need to copy them. Villa have never copied Chelsea. 

And then back to just blaming Purslow for anything apparently shit. 

Nah, Chelsea had a lion in a circle in the early 50’s (apparently, based on a quick search - I wasn’t around to confirm at the time).

I don’t massively get the Chelsea comparison. Maybe just swap the lion so it faces back to the left again, might remove that criticism.

And yeah while some love to blame Purslow for everything, the idea that he was mainly responsible for wanting a round badge I think is somewhat misleading, supporters had been desperate for a round badge for years. They might not necessarily wanted the round badge we ended up with, but they definitely wanted a round one.

Edited by Mark Albrighton

11 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Nah, Chelsea had a lion in a circle in the early 50’s (apparently, based on a quick search - I wasn’t around to confirm at the time).

I don’t massively get the Chelsea comparison. Maybe just swap the lion so it faces back to the left again, might remove that criticism.

And yeah while some love to blame Purslow for everything, the idea that he was mainly responsible for wanting a round badge I think is somewhat misleading, supporters had been desperate for a round badge for years. The might not necessarily wanted the round badge we ended up with, but they definitely wanted a round one.

Chelsea may have had the round badge briefly as the club crest back then but they never had a round badge on their kits until the mid 80's. They always had the lion on its own with the roses either side. As far back as I can remember into the late seventies. We introduced the round badge for the shirts before they did. 

It's just a totally stupid argument anyway but it pisses me off when people associate our badge with Chelsea as some rip off.

• Like 1

Â