Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

I Don't want to quote your post Carry On Villa but one of the complaints prior to 2007 was that we didn't make enough references to 1982. Southgate, when he played for us, complained there weren't enough references to 1982 at the club- no photographs etc. The star came from a desire to recognise that team. 

It's incredible how it even changed over the years from the same manufacturer. I had a couple of Diadora shirts, one, with Rover sponsoring us is perfect claret, IMO. The NTL shirt, on the other hand,. also by Diadora, maybe a couple of years earlier, was just purple.

There will always be some discrepancies based on reflectiveness of material, etc, but even just walking around VP it's amazing we can't get our club colours consistently in the same ballpark. 

• Like 1

Our brand colourways do always seem to cause a problem with badges and logos, but it's true that the best combination definitely seems to involve a yellow lion on a claret background. I feel like that should always be the starting point, whether it's a standalone lion, a circle, a shield, a gaslamp or whatever. The blue should probably just be used for highlighting because it never really stands out alongside the claret and yellow.

• Like 2

On 08/07/2023 at 09:54, Lichfield Dean said:

Our brand colourways do always seem to cause a problem with badges and logos, but it's true that the best combination definitely seems to involve a yellow lion on a claret background. I feel like that should always be the starting point, whether it's a standalone lion, a circle, a shield, a gaslamp or whatever. The blue should probably just be used for highlighting because it never really stands out alongside the claret and yellow.

As a stand alone badge I would agree, the yellow lion on the claret background in the post below looks great. However, I feel like it needs a predominantly blue background so that it stands out against the claret body of the shirt.

At this point I think I'd side with those who would like just the lion on the shirts.

On 08/07/2023 at 09:48, Jas10 said:

Main problem with the original badge was the order of colours, yellow on blue was a bad choice (washed out).

Much better:

spacer.png

Alternatives:

The new badge looks great, especially in monochrome as here on the training kit… I don’t get why we’re getting rid of it and starting again.

I know Chris Heck is a marketing man and he can rebrand us, and it sounds like that is the intention… but dress it up however he likes it’s still embarrassing to spend all that time and money to get a badge only to scrap it and start again. 
I wonder at what point they realised that Purslow was going and Heck coming in…? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

The new badge looks great, especially in monochrome as here on the training kit… I don’t get why we’re getting rid of it and starting again.

I know Chris Heck is a marketing man and he can rebrand us, and it sounds like that is the intention… but dress it up however he likes it’s still embarrassing to spend all that time and money to get a badge only to scrap it and start again. 
I wonder at what point they realised that Purslow was going and Heck coming in…? 

Looks more like a Chelsea badge in monochrome. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

100%.  If there was ever proof that the badge redesign has left us with a generic, pick it off a shelf effort then this is it.

8 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Just now, allani said:

100%.  If there was ever proof that the badge redesign has left us with a generic, pick it off a shelf effort then this is it.

I absolutely don’t agree. But that’s design for you.

To be fair to the club though, they asked and the fans said a round badge with a lion, that’s says Aston Villa and has a star… and that’s what it is. 

Just now, alreadyexists said:

To be fair to the club though, they asked and the fans said a round badge with a lion, that’s says Aston Villa and has a star… and that’s what it is. 

What they were essentially choosing was the old 80s badge and they didn’t even got that. Somewhat a shame (for them)

even if they did, it still not particularly unique in contemporary football badge design, just another round badge with the same weigh border with the club name and date written inside it. But at least the old round one has some meaning to the fans. This new one is a bland rehash that comes when Chelsea go back to their old round badge. Poor timing to have a round badge and poor timing for villa’s growth… as we can’t attract players/investors by being “winners” on the pitch, then we got to do it with our brand. If a key element to brand like a logo don’t stand out, then it’s already at a poor start. Particularly anyone who’s not fully aware of who Aston Villa are.

as @allani said, “off the shelf” design. 

Not just the badge needs to be rethought, but the overall branding of the club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Any new badge will be difficult to produce because I'm sure we all want something different.  A design that I really like might be something that you really dislike and vice-versa.

If the club was only going to use what the fans asked for then why didn't we get 5 or 6 different round badges to choose between?  We got a (imo pretty bland) round badge and something vaguely interesting but that ignored almost all the things that people wanted and looked like it had been done on the back of a fag packet.

I don't object to the lion, I don't object to a round badge necessarily (although it does feel a bit like what everyone else is doing and so is not something that immediately stands out), I don't object to it saying Aston Villa and I don't really object to the star (although I don't particularly like it).  But I still think that even with those constraints / guidelines we could have come up with some more unique and better "designed".  I think fans wanted a reminder of Rotterdam, haven't got it but have got something that is a bit better than what we have at the moment.  I still think that if you flashed up our badge in black & white with the Aston Villa blanked out that most people would assume that it was the Chelsea badge.  I think we deserve and should have got better than that.  

Edited by allani

On 08/07/2023 at 09:50, alreadyexists said:

One thing that’s painfully clear is that no one can agree on what is right or looks good

Can't please everyone unfortunately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Would look better if the lion was facing the right way…

Looks like it’s trying to do a runner.

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Would look better if the lion was facing the right way…

Looks like it’s trying to do a runner.

The lion is supposed to be a reference back to the Royal Banner of Scotland - so why on earth is it facing the other way?  The ONLY reason I can see for doing this is the designers saying "But if we leave it facing left then it really does look like we've just ripped off the Chelsea badge - so we'd better turn it around."  Which is the ****est possible reason and completely ignores the history behind the symbol.  The more I think about that the more it really annoys me.  If you are going to rip up history at least "go for it" and try and come up with a completely different style of lion and then talk about how it is a modern interpretation of an important part of Villa's history and its association with Scotland through William McGregor.  I might not like such a variation but it would be understandable.  Just turning it round makes me think that I am seeing the shirt in the mirror or that someone has stuck it on back to front by mistake.

• Like 1

According to this, and some others that have a different lion, our original one faced the same way as the new one, but only for a short time.  Since then, it has always been the other way. 

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

According to this, and some others that have a different lion, our original one faced the same way as the new one, but only for a short time.  Since then, it has always been the other way. 

spacer.png

Interesting.

Â