F: Fulham USA: Thurs July 27 00:00

ender4

Just now, pete101 said:

We just look so strong with Konsa at right back , of course he is not gonna be as dangerous going forward but think the defensive stability out weighs that

Cash isn't dangerous going forward either. I'm happy to trade cash's 2 goal contributions a season for some extra aerial presence and defence (that being said Konsas lack of forward passing and ball carrying at times is a worry).

Plus last time he played full back he put in some tasty balls vs spurs. 

1 minute ago, TomC said:

Pretty dull half. I'm glad I didn't go to Orlando to watch that. (Also glad I didn't have to put up with Florida summertime weather.)

Diego much better and Kamara a little better than their poor performances last time.

Konsa plays RB much differently than Cash but can get the job done. I see no urgent need to buy a RB. (Of course, if the right one came available...)

JPB is going to force his way into plans. Nice assist from Digne.

Tielemans and Buendia quiet. (See below.) Pau too.

Olsen had one stray pass but improved.

I don't want to judge him on 45 minutes, but Archer didn't seem very composed. He certainly shouldn't be our penalty taker. JPB seems more confident.

Fulham are a frustrating team to play against. They hold possession well and swarm you in midfield with 7 players near the ball. Buendia in particular did not get much space. I think we need to try switching the field quickly in the second half. There's plenty of space on the opposite side if you can move it fast enough.

In regards to tielemans and Buendia being quiet I also think this is largely because Pau has been so timid in terms of not demanding to receive the ball from Carlos. So every time the ball goes forward it's either going right or it's going to Kamara

And if it does go to Buendia or tielemans it's with their backs facing goal. Has Pau even passed the ball to digne once today? Getting it into digne will force their midfield into rotation which creates gaps. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pete101 said:

We just look so strong with Konsa at right back , of course he is not gonna be as dangerous going forward but think the defensive stability out weighs that

Definitely offers a certain stable sort of approach for us, and it's really great to have that in our defensive portfolio. I suppose Emery will use Konsa when he's the right fit vs. a given opposition -- horses for courses, etc. I just hope he gets enough game time to keep him sharpened.

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Cash isn't dangerous going forward either. I'm happy to trade cash's 2 goal contributions a season for some extra aerial presence and defence (that being said Konsas lack of forward passing and ball carrying at times is a worry).

Ya even in that half he could have put us in front from that corner early on

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

In regards to tielemans and Buendia being quiet I also think this is largely because Pau has been so timid in terms of not demanding to receive the ball from Carlos. So every time the ball goes forward it's either going right or it's going to Kamara

And if it does go to Buendia or tielemans it's with their backs facing goal. Has Pau even passed the ball to digne once today? Getting it into digne will force their midfield into rotation which creates gaps. 

That makes sense. It's the left side that has been mostly quiet, and the one good attack on the left came through Digne.

I think we need to go easy on Archer.

It's massive shoes he's attempting to fill, and he's not the same type of player as Ollie.

He also needs help.

That being said, i think Duran offers more strength and presence.

We need to be patient with Archer though, he may also have some nerves, as it's big for him as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think we need to go easy on Archer.

It's massive shoes he's attempting to fill, and he's not the same type of player as Ollie.

He also needs help.

That being said, i think Duran offers more strength and presence.

We need to be patient with Archer though, he may also have some nerves, as it's big for him as well.

It's tough really, because while it makes sense to be patient with young players, if he is going to be Ollie's backup, he needs to be held to a similar standard. 

I think we've learned three things:

• We do need a right back - Konsa has given it a go, but he's looked uncomfortable throughout and it's made it difficult for us to develop play from the right hand side.
  • I'm not sure Archer works in this system - he's not physical enough for it - he's not strong enough to hold off an athletic centreback nor quick enough to outrun one - he's a fox in the box striker - he wins four yard races by a yard, but by the time he's gone ten he's a yard behind. He needs a partner I think in order to prosper.
  • Doug is important.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Cash is actually quite good at progressing the ball. It's the last ball that he lacks.

Konsa vs. Cash at right back is going to be a tactical decision. I can see using Cash when we need more in attack, Konsa when we're defending a lead.

(Assuming, of course, that we aren't using Konsa at CB.)

• Like 1

Â