Pau Torres

Delphinho123

On 24/10/2023 at 23:12, Jenko#4 said:

This is similar to how I see it as well.

Over the last few years Mings/Konsa get the ball, and a midfielder (Dougie, SJM) drops in almost along side them to take possession. That midfielder then turns and has 60 yards of space and 8-9 opposition outfield players to try and pick a pass through, and the ball gets lost more often than not.

Torres’ passing ability allows the midfielders to start 20 yards further up the pitch, turn into 40 yards of space, and bypass 3-4 opposition outfield players at the same time.  A few clever runs from the front 3, and we are suddenly pulling teams all over the place.

I think that the risk v reward when it comes to Pau is one that’s definitely worth taking. 

Torres is in this team to stay, he is getting better too.I still think he will benefit from a Dominant Centre back alongside him.....albeit Konsa is also playing very well, but in a similar vein to Pau.

Similar to what Van Dijk does.

Mings is a different type of Centre back as you say......but in terms of the squad, I think you need both i.e horses for courses.

its difficult to say who is best, they both have different attributes, as you rightly say .....I think (with a fit Mings) it depends who we are playing, so we can rotate....personally, I like at least 1 dominant centre back, and comfortable in the air.

To win the league ( and I am not saying we are ready for that yet) you have to have players who can adapt to all conditions or a diverse squad, where you can bring in players to suit a game and meet challenges head on.

I think this is a part of the WIP that Unai alludes to.

On our day at home, we can beat anybody.....but there are still some nuances we need to improve upon.....I'm sure that is part of the process.

Edited by TRO

18 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Love this and this is what i love to hear

Has settled in English football and club very well

You could see from his Villareal exit video, and his frantic celebrations and pointing to the badge when he scored for us, that he's a passionate and loyal lad.

I also think Unai has properly sold them a vision and dream, and it is what has them all pulling in the same direction and REALLY bought into the " project / club".

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Luton was my first game at VP and he impressed me the most- better than expected in person. Classy on the ball but also noticeable how many individual fuels he won as well which was more surprising 

Obviously defending is the most important aspect of his job but Emery knew exactly what he signed when we got Pau.

Torres, who was convinced to join the club by his former Villarreal boss Emery in the summer, is vital to Villa’s build-up and structure, mainly from an offensive point of view. His passing range is better than most Premier League midfielders, while his pass selection is equally impressive.

He has already completed 63 progressive passes in 11 games this season, which is more than any other Premier League centre-back. Torres has also completed 67 passes into the final third, which is bettered by only one centre-back - Brighton’s Lewis Dunk - and four other players in the division.

In Villa’s last league game at the City Ground, Torres passed the ball into Nottingham Forest’s defensive third 19 times. He played 25 passes into the final third in Villa’s 3-1 win over Crystal Palace back in September.

Villa’s summer signing also boasts a passing accuracy of 89 per cent having attempted 770 passes, which averages out at 72 passes per 90. Emery encourages him to drive forward in possession and pin opposition players back to enable Villa to control the match, thus making their chances of scoring goals and winning matches more likely.

The 26-year-old has recorded the highest progressive carrying distance of any other player in Europe’s top five leagues at 2,803 yards. That’s over 300 yards more than Manchester City’s Ruben Dias, who has registered the second-highest figure in the English top-flight.

Torres is also capable of beating a player having recorded the highest successful take on percentage of any other Premier League player to have recorded more than 10 take-ons so far this campaign.

Some pundits will too easily criticise Villa’s high line, but in the final 14 games of the last season, no team caught their opponent offside more times than Villa (63), and in every Premier League game which Emery took charge of bar the defeats to Arsenal and Manchester City, Villa won more offsides than the opposition.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/transformational-pau-torres-made-question-28057071

• Like 4

Thought he did all he could against Forest and was really stepping up and taking charge of bringing the ball into the final third.

Crucially also defended well when we had to and seemed to be communicating more with Konsa and Digne.

• Like 1

On 01/11/2023 at 22:21, IrishVilla10 said:

So comforting to see players like Pau, helping to change the Narrative, from begrudging/ disrespectful media questions.

• Like 3

Â