Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Why though?

So the game meant nothing tomorrow and they could cheer on Man. City to their heart's content.

There will still be a bit of confliction in the crowd. I'll be tuning in just to see what the atmosphere is like tbh.

10 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I'm not ruling out Manure until it's mathematically certain

Goldstein tomorrow on talkSPORT, ‘Villa dropping points last night Benty, can The mighty Manchester United sneak into fourth’

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I alluded to it the other day, but the smaller clubs in each big rivalry - Everton, Man City (google the good luck Villa flag from 1993 when we played them), Spurs and Small Heath - sort of hate their rival as much as they support  their team whereas Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal and Villa wouldn't look at it that way imho

SHA will likely never be good to be a relevant factor in premier league bit I do remember in May 2017 we were mid table and nothing to play for and we went to Blackburn who were fighting SHA to stay up.

Lost 1-0 and were dismal (but that was generally par for the course on the road with Steve Bruce in those days) and pretty sure there was a stranger atmosphere in the away end than usual with a few not that bothered we lost that day as was a greater chance SHA would be relegated as a result.

As said above Spurs have qualified for CL 6-7 times in last day so it's simply not a special moment for them as it was for Newcastle and will be for us this time tomorrow. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

amazing that Spurs have beaten Man City the last 4 times at home, without Man City scoring a single goal, what the heck is with that!?!?

Also beat them 1-0 in the CL in 2019 although that might have been at Wembley? Man. City also missed penalties in a couple of those games.

They're generally a tricky match up for Man. City with the pace they have in final third but can't see anything but an away win in this as Man. City are different animal in last ten games of a league season to before xmas.

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Goldstein tomorrow on talkSPORT, ‘Villa dropping points last night Benty, can The mighty Manchester United sneak into fourth’

"If we offered Emery the manager's job he'd take it 100%"

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

And little Emi to come off the bench, leap like a salmon and do both his A.C.L's after scoring

FTFY It would be the classic villa curse again🤪

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Spurs haven't secured 5th so they might take a point against City. 

I'd say most Spurs fans probably happy to lose to City which probably motivates the players the most 

3 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Postecoglou as oblivious to majority of Spurs fan's sentiments as he is to the importance of defending set pieces

• Haha 3

He's 100% right, if your season was over then fair enough don't let arsenal win the league but wanting city to win the league at the expense of Spurs getting 4th? That's madness

But looking at their forum last night (which isn't very big at all surprisingly) they want ange out, they want levy out, they want new owners 

Don't even know they're born 

They seem to think finishing 5th will kick start the revolution 

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

SHA will likely never be good to be a relevant factor in premier league bit I do remember in May 2017 we were mid table and nothing to play for and we went to Blackburn who were fighting SHA to stay up.

Lost 1-0 and were dismal (but that was generally par for the course on the road with Steve Bruce in those days) and pretty sure there was a stranger atmosphere in the away end than usual with a few not that bothered we lost that day as was a greater chance SHA would be relegated as a result.

As said above Spurs have qualified for CL 6-7 times in last day so it's simply not a special moment for them as it was for Newcastle and will be for us this time tomorrow

For me this is the key point rather than the arsenal rivalry thing 

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Why though?

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

Why wouid they want their team to miss out on champions league?

As mentioned by others they would  rather miss out on 4th than Arsenal win the league. It would have been wrapped up if we won and the team wouldn’t have gone for a win against City.

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Also beat them 1-0 in the CL in 2019 although that might have been at Wembley? Man. City also missed penalties in a couple of those games.

They're generally a tricky match up for Man. City with the pace they have in final third but can't see anything but an away win in this as Man. City are different animal in last ten games of a league season to before xmas.

City beat them there in the FA cup this season 1-0 so hopefully that ones off their back

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Can’t believe we’re on the verge of CL qualification. What a magnificent achievement from where we were a little over 18 months ago.

To think that we may have a Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, PSG etc playing at Villa Park next season? Let’s just take that in for a moment. Wow.

I went for a run this morning and that all I could think of, we are literally touching distance of it and i know its a cliche but im trotting it out anyway, we finished on 17 points only 6 years ago and were circling the plug hole to potential oblivion not long after under the Dr Fraud and now we could hosting the biggest clubs in the world

Noel Gallagher, Paul Dikov, Shaun Goater, Curley Watts, Ricky Hatton - Its on your boys to make that dream happen!!!!

Edited by cb_82
typo
  • Like 1