Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

But everybody is loving the possibility of us winning a trophy. I don’t get it. 

It’s not either or. 

The whole thing has (pretty obviously?) been a discussion on which aspect is more important.

There's absolutely nobody saying "I only want to win something" or "I only want to qualify for the CL".

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

Football now isn't about where you finish in the league, it's about the coefficient and the balance sheet.

Wild.

Never mind the Football Manager game. Its Football Accountant now. 

Manage your balance sheet. Increase the cost of pies and pints. Change the badge and roll out a new wet look strip. Can you win the profit and loss trophy! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The whole thing has (pretty obviously?) been a discussion on which aspect is more important.

There's absolutely nobody saying "I only want to win something" or "I only want to qualify for the CL".

I posted about why people are paying attention to a coefficient and you replied to me about how you’d rather concentrate on winning a trophy. 

I was just saying it’s not either or. 

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

How would it derail the season? We could play the kids on Thursday and still not beat Bournemouth. Or we could go for it on Thursday and beat Bournemouth. There are no guarantees. Our win at Arsenal came off the back of a tough game 3 days earlier. in other games, we've looked less effective after a longer break. 

You just got to take one game at a time and aim to win every one. IMO. 

Yeah, I agree. Hopefully we can have both.

However there’s a lot of people talking hypotheticals in this thread about whether CL qualification or the Conference League is more important, and if I could only pick one then it’s not going to be the Conference League.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Well their last 5 years PL finishes are 3rd, 2nd, 6th, 3rd, probably 6th. 

Not too shabby at all!

“Probably 6th” is doing a lot of work there. I’m guessing 8th behind Newcastle and Chelsea, who are above them if they win their game in hand (hopefully not their game vs us!)

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

They might have a seat at the big boys table, but they’re left feeding of their scraps.

Ok, we just don’t agree and that’s fine.

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

I don’t think Arsenal win tonight so we have to rely on City, ourselves and hope the other two win their ties at the very least. 

Or.....

We'll win the Europa (edit: Conference) league because we have very good players and a genius manager.
We'll get 4th - same reason. Plus, you know, it's Spurs.

And then Spurs, or Man U or Newcastle will not get Champions League, costing them money and prestige, which is also to our benefit. 
And the reason why 5th won't get CL football is because Man U and Newcastle didn't get out of their groups in this seasons CL. 

And all of the above makes it a brilliant season for us, and very funny too.

Edited by Pez1974
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I posted about why people are paying attention to a coefficient and you replied to me about how you’d rather concentrate on winning a trophy. 

I was just saying it’s not either or. 

No - I replied saying something like there's no issue with paying attention but the obsessing over it is odd and that we should just focus on finishing 4th.

The trophy bit was an additional point as some people have said they'd rather CL football than winning a trophy (and the discussion has largely been around this bit).  Obviously it's not either or.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

No - I replied saying something like there's no issue with paying attention but the obsessing over it is odd and that we should just focus on finishing 4th.

The trophy bit was an additional point as some people have said they'd rather CL football than winning a trophy (and the discussion has largely been around this bit).  Obviously it's not either or.

Ok

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, omariqy said:

If we end up beating Ajax, Lille, Fenerbache and Fiorentina to win it then it’s a proper trophy 

Yeah, that's no joke lineup.

Maybe if we had a cupcake path in the knockouts, it would lose a bit of luster, but we will most likely be taking the hardest route through.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Ok

Not too sure why the laughing face - but here you go:

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I really don’t see the issue with people keeping an eye on the coefficient when it could literally be the difference maker in us getting into the biggest club competition in the world for the first time ever (in the CL era) 

8 hours ago, bobzy said:

There's no issue with it... but the obsessing is bizarre.

We need to finish 4th and it's dealt with.

Furthermore, the more important part (for me) would be the actual winning a trophy part of football.  But, y'know, people love the balance sheet and that.

Separate point at the bottom on a preference that was generally being discussed.

30 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Or.....

We'll win the Europa league because we have very good players and a genius manager.
We'll get 4th - same reason. Plus, you know, it's Spurs.

And then Spurs, or Man U or Newcastle will not get Champions League, costing them money and prestige, which is also to our benefit. 
And the reason why 5th won't get CL football is because Man U and Newcastle didn't get out of their groups in this seasons CL. 

And all of the above makes it a brilliant season for us, and very funny too.

Emery would be the greatest manager of all time if he won us a trophy we’re not in 😂

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Emery would be the greatest manager of all time if he won us a trophy we’re not in 😂

Typical negative VT'er. 😉
In Unai I Trust 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not too sure why the laughing face - but here you go:

Separate point at the bottom on a preference that was generally being discussed.

Yeah I got that. I’m just confused as to what your point is. You just said you’re the one who made the additional point, and when I’ve answered it you’ve acted like it’s obvious. 

We’re in agreement. Don’t worry about it

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

This isn't going to be a hugely popular opinion here, but I don't see the Conference League as a "proper" trophy worth derailing our progress for. I'll be delighted if we win it, but for me it's just not on the same level as the FA cup / premier league title / the Champions League as it's a competition that the top teams don't play in. Because of the strength of the PL whatever English team ends up playing there will probably be among the favourites to win it; I imagine we'll see a lot of PL teams winning it in the next few years.

I also don't get the logic of anyone saying trophies are all that matter - I mean, if that's what you believe then why not get ourselves relegated so we can win the Championship trophy next season? Clearly the quality of the competition matters too. I wouldn't trade the club going backwards for the Conference League trophy, as there are bigger prizes out there and I think this team and manager have the potential to win one of them if we can keep them together.

I get your logic but i think that if we get to the semi final then you can smell that trophy . Would you be happy us playing a weakened team because we had a Prem game 3 days after that could guarantee us top 4 ?  Its a difficult one but i would go trophy first every time. Especially as next season will be even harder to compete in the top 6 . 

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

If we end up beating Ajax, Lille, Fenerbache and Fiorentina to win it then it’s a proper trophy 

I completely and utterly disagree. If we win this we’ll have beaten AZ Alkmaar, Ajax, Lille, Fenebarche/Olympiakos and mayve Fiorentina along the way…in my book it would be an outstanding achievement and one I’d celebrate hugely

1 minute ago, rodders129 said:

I completely and utterly disagree. If we win this we’ll have beaten AZ Alkmaar, Ajax, Lille, Fenebarche/Olympiakos and mayve Fiorentina along the way…in my book it would be an outstanding achievement and one I’d celebrate hugely

Sorry replied to the wrong post 😅