Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Bournemouth, Chelsea, Brighton, Liverpool and Palace. It's there for us if we are good enough for 4th. If we get 5th and don't get Champions League we'll just have to go win the Europa League then. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AshVilla said:

B 100%

Not having CL revenue next season will be a big setback in terms of the project.

I'd rather look at the bigger picture than win a 3rd tier trophy.

Of course i'd rather choose C and win ECL and finish 4th if that's an option.

Absolutely. Also, as per my previous post it’s not just about 5th THIS SEASON, it’s about getting the 5th place for EVERY SEASON going forward. That is why the coefficient it is hugely significant to us as a football club for the future - increases our chances of regular CL football season after season. 

4 minutes ago, eholm said:

It’s not just about THIS season though is it? PL getting the fifth place means we have a greater chance of getting regular CL football EVERY season going forward. This is the vital point for me - not just the impact on this season. 

Well the difference about getting it this season is the financial aspect given our finances right now. The new format and the prestige it can give us. Plus looking at what Emery has done with Villareal going to semi final. It's more important right now as it's a kind of sliding doors moment for the club. If we don't get CL we need to sell a player like Luiz this summer so it's more the combination of losing it so late in season and the consequences of that which is why this whole run in has been so monumentally stressful unlike any other season as can see the two paths. Like our playoff final against Fulham there's a sporting prize and a financial consequence all on one thing

53 minutes ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

Of course the true Villa way will be not win the Europa Conference, finish 4th, then knocked out of Champions League qualifiers by Qarabag in mid August. 

Is no qualifiers for PL teams 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Well the difference about getting it this season is the financial aspect given our finances right now. The new format and the prestige it can give us. Plus looking at what Emery has done with Villareal going to semi final. It's more important right now as it's a kind of sliding doors moment for the club. If we don't get CL we need to sell a player like Luiz this summer so it's more the combination of losing it so late in season and the consequences of that which is why this whole run in has been so monumentally stressful unlike any other season as can see the two paths. Like our playoff final against Fulham there's a sporting prize and a financial consequence all on one thing

Agree with that completely. However, it is very shortsighted for people to say ‘forget the 5th place let’s just get 4th’. 
on season in the CL will make a significant difference to us but CL EVERY season would totally transform us a club. From next season onwards getting CL will be more difficult as Chelsea, Utd etc will improve. 
Having top 5 getting CL every season would be huge for us. 

2 minutes ago, eholm said:

Agree with that completely. However, it is very shortsighted for people to say ‘forget the 5th place let’s just get 4th’. 
on season in the CL will make a significant difference to us but CL EVERY season would totally transform us a club. From next season onwards getting CL will be more difficult as Chelsea, Utd etc will improve. 
Having top 5 getting CL every season would be huge for us. 

Was told this last season, and still waiting for it to happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Was told this last season, and still waiting for it to happen.

True……but even if it doesn’t happen next season or the season after, it is fundamentally advantageous for us to have an increased chance of CL qualification every season going forward. 

4 minutes ago, eholm said:

From next season onwards getting CL will be more difficult as Chelsea, Utd etc will improve. 

How? Chelsea maybe.......but the Financial pressure is only going to get worse, they have to sell players if they dont get Europe......Manure seem to have nowhere to go without spending 100's of millions and completely ripping the team apart.

Spurs and Newcastle will improve, Liverpool wont and Arsenal will probably stay more or less the same, without spending a £100m on a striker.

As a neutral looking in I'm sure Villa would be high on the list of teams who are going to challenge for the top, Emery will have some more players in and some players back from injury. Our squad will be very strong.

8 hours ago, R.Bear said:

You can stand by it all you like. It doesnt change the fact that having a viewpoint like that and saying "this is a business" is a reprehensible attitude and something I would expect to hear from plastic Man Utd fans from far away lands, not Villa fans.

Bit harsh and extreme. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

How? Chelsea maybe.......but the Financial pressure is only going to get worse, they have to sell players if they dont get Europe......Manure seem to have nowhere to go without spending 100's of millions and completely ripping the team apart.

Spurs and Newcastle will improve, Liverpool wont and Arsenal will probably stay more or less the same, without spending a £100m on a striker.

As a neutral looking in I'm sure Villa would be high on the list of teams who are going to challenge for the top, Emery will have some more players in and some players back from injury. Our squad will be very strong.

Yeah, so if Spurs and Newcastle improve and the others stay the same it is still a really difficult challenge to get CL. Irrespective of which teams improve and which don’t some will and my overarching point is about long term, regular CL qualification being more achievable if there are 5 places instead of 4…..that is why the coefficient is so important. 

27 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If we have to sell someone, then so be it, We’ll get by. Unlike before when we sold a player, we have competent people in charge that will improve the team. Emery and Monchi have done it before at Sevilla, they won their first Europa league together, then sold three players that started the final, and went onto to win it again.

• Like 1

5th place looks unlikely to be enough now, so finishing 4th is the goal. I see Spurs taking 4-5 points at most from those 4 tough games left (plus 6 from Burnley and Sheffield Utd). If they get any more than that fair play they will probably deserve 4th. That puts them on 70-71 points but quite possible they only end on 68-69 too.

Ultimately if we win 2 of our next 4 then we are nearly there. Our focus has to be beating Bournemouth and Chelsea because with 69 points and three games left it’s very unlikely we would screw up from there.

43 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Even if we make Champions League it could turn out we need to sell Douglas Luiz anyway if the club want to spend money in the summer. Was gutted when we sold Grealish but looking at the bigger picture that fee has played a part in bringing some of the players that we love watching right now. 

If we do have to sell - Villa won't be doing it cheap so I'm not really worried about that. 

Edited by RichW

54 minutes ago, eholm said:

It’s not just about THIS season though is it? PL getting the fifth place means we have a greater chance of getting regular CL football EVERY season going forward. This is the vital point for me - not just the impact on this season. 

It doesn’t really impact anything apart from if there is a tie and they look at the 5 year coefficient 

Although we'll get both, Champions League qualification over a UECL trophy all day for me.

• The UECL is cute little tournament, but it has no history or prestige. It was invented in 2021. It would be brilliant to win it, but, see below.
  • There's no qualification round in the UCL next year. Once you're in, you're in a massive group and we'd be in the worst pot of teams, so we'd definitely be drawn against some European giants. Villa in a competitive match European match against Madrid, Barca, Bayern? Beating one of those teams at VP under the lights? Imagine!
  • People saying 'it'd be a footnote of history' - I just disagree. Villa have not been in Europe's elite competition for over 40 years. It would be a historic achievement to be in it. And I definitely remember when Spurs got in under Redknapp, Leeds got in, Newcastle got in, etc. 
  • If our squad get the experience of playing in the CL against elite European opposition, think about what that could do for their development under Unai. Who knows where that could take us.
  • We'd probably be able to keep all of our players, whereas we probably wouldn't if we don't. Revenue, long term club health, all improved. People ignoring this fact are the same ones that will be moaning if we have to ship off Jacob or Dougie in the summer if we don't get in.
  • Unai will win a trophy at Villa. We may not have a better chance of UCL qualification than we have this season, for several years.

But yeah both

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I’d take CL. We’d be financially much better off and I’d hope it’ll catapult us into the elite club bracket in a few years. 
Potentially with that growth we’ll win another trophy. 

Obviously no one actually gets to choose so being aggressive to posters who you disgaree with is a little odd. We’re clearly trying to win every game and if we do enough we’ll get CL and a trophy.

9 minutes ago, omariqy said:

It doesn’t really impact anything apart from if there is a tie and they look at the 5 year coefficient 

I understood it as if the PL gets an extra place this season, that extra place is permanent going forward. Is that not the case?

10 minutes ago, eholm said:

I understood it as if the PL gets an extra place this season, that extra place is permanent going forward. Is that not the case?

No

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, eholm said:

No, it's measured by how well the teams did the previous year