Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Not quite sure how and why we lost 4-0 to Spurs given their results against Fulham and West Ham since then, two teams worse than us, and struggling to beat Luton at home. We made them look far better than they are, we're pretty much the only team they've thrashed all season. Even if we'd just drawn with Tottenham we'd be in a really good position now, so annoying. Similarly how we have lost twice to that red team in Manchester I don't understand.

Anything from tonight is a bonus, as is the Arsenal game, but next 2 home games are absolutely must wins. Then we have to try to win 2 of our last 4 games (Palace + Chelsea or Brighton most likely ones) which would get us to minimum 71 points. I imagine that will be enough for 4th but depends how Tottenham do in their tough run of games.

If we finish 5th but get 70+ points then I can accept that as Tottenham will have had to end the season really strongly to get 4th. Anything less than 70 points is a disappointing finish though.

Edited by Leeroy

7 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Not quite sure how and why we lost 4-0 to Spurs given their results against Fulham and West Ham since then, two teams worse than us, and struggling to beat Luton at home. We made them look far better than they are, we're pretty much the only team they've thrashed all season. Even if we'd just drawn with Tottenham we'd be in a really good position now, so annoying. Similarly how we have lost twice to that red team in Manchester I don't understand.

It happens though, I don’t care if at the end of the season we end up above both of them.  It’s about consistency across a full league season and not playing brilliantly or poorly in a one off game, that’s why I hate the term ‘must win game’ when it’s in the middle section of the season because it’s not true.  Yes it would’ve made it easier if we had beaten them but beating all them we would now be in the title race and we know we aren’t that good yet.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Anything from tonight is a bonus, as is the Arsenal game, but next 2 home games are absolutely must wins. Then we have to try to win 2 of our last 4 games (Palace + Chelsea or Brighton most likely ones) which would get us to minimum 71 points. I imagine that will be enough for 4th but depends how Tottenham do in their tough run of games.

If we finish 5th but get 70+ points then I can accept that as Tottenham will have had to end the season really strongly to get 4th. Anything less than 70 points is a disappointing finish though.

Was all part of the Unai masterplan to give them a false sense of security 😉

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

They don’t have a game in hand. 

Well they do. Since we play tonight it will be back to us playing 31 and Spurs 30. 

3 minutes ago, RichW said:

Well they do. Since we play tonight it will be back to us playing 31 and Spurs 30. 

Chelsea is a tough game in hand.  Id bet their fans would take a point if offered 

The av. point thing is the average points of opposition… I’m not sure that tells the whole story though. For example, I’d prefer to play a mid table team with nothing to play for at the end of the season than someone scrapping to stay up.

IMG_6417.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

It happens though, I don’t care if at the end of the season we end up above both of them.  It’s about consistency across a full league season and not playing brilliantly or poorly in a one off game, that’s why I hate the term ‘must win game’ when it’s in the middle section of the season because it’s not true.  Yes it would’ve made it easier if we had beaten them but beating all them we would now be in the title race and we know we aren’t that good yet.

I get what you are saying and it won't be an issue if we finish 4th, but it just confuses me when teams with not as good players as ours have no trouble playing these teams where we struggle. Football is a funny game for sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

We both have 8 matches remaining 

Yes but this game week isn’t finished yet. We will have 7 left after tonight whilst they have 8. 

In a couple of weeks time the table will show they have 2 games in hand soon for a couple of weeks since they don’t play the weekend we play Arsenal. 

15 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Chelsea is a tough game in hand.  Id bet their fans would take a point if offered 

Oh I’m not saying they will win, I think they will lose that game. But I was just saying they still have in game in hand on us as LondonLax doesn’t think they do. They are going to have 2 games in hand on us soon though thankfully they will be  2 difficult fixtures and will cause some fixture congestion towards the end of the season. 

5 minutes ago, RichW said:

Oh I’m not saying they will win, I think they will lose that game. But I was just saying they still have in game in hand on us as LondonLax doesn’t think they do. They are going to have 2 games in hand on us soon though thankfully they will be  2 difficult fixtures and will cause some fixture congestion towards the end of the season. 

Yes at some point they will have two matches in hand but right now they don’t. I think the current table is a fair reflection of where both teams are at. 

55 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

The av. point thing is the average points of opposition… I’m not sure that tells the whole story though. For example, I’d prefer to play a mid table team with nothing to play for at the end of the season than someone scrapping to stay up.

IMG_6417.jpeg

I don't think they will go down anyway but glad Brentford are probably the last team in the bottom 6 we will play this season. Getting to the time of the year where teams in the relegation battle pick up unexpected wins. Palace will be on the beach when we go to their place.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

This is a very sensible post, one off games can happen.  A league rewards the most consistent teams. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

They don’t have a game in hand. 

Yes they do.

Their game in hand is Chelsea