Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

If it was difficult before this news then now it feels almost impossible. Win the Conference League and keep a decent league form. Fingers crossed that Spurs and Man Utd fails completely rest of the season.

We’ve had a tough few weeks but we are still very much in this. Adversity can provide real opportunities for people to surprise you. I believe that Unai can still get us cooking and qualify for Champions League. It has certainly been made more difficult following recent events but we are still in this. Keep the faith people.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We’ve had a tough few weeks but we are still very much in this. Adversity can provide real opportunities for people to surprise you. I believe that Unai can still get us cooking and qualify for Champions League. It has certainly been made more difficult following recent events but we are still in this. Keep the faith people.

No - we must forfeit the season now.

• Haha 2

Not only is this go e for us. Next season Chelsea, Newcastle will be back. Spurs and United build more. 

So the peak for us was 2023. Time to return to where we belong in mid table.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Not only is this go e for us. Next season Chelsea, Newcastle will be back. Spurs and United build more. 

Haha

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Doom and gloomers showing their true colours.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Chief we finished 7th with a shitter squad and season start/points than we have now. ( Arguably no Tyrone and Buendia but ... )

We had 31 points at this stage.

7th, 6th, 8th are all the same to be honest.

The big picture is all that Champions League golden pot.

Grim but true.

I stayed positive but there comes a point when you know it's over. You can stay to the end if you want. Prolong your pain. 

Nah, **** it. This season shows exactly why this club is poisonous to support. You let your guard down and let hope get in and the moment that happens the dagger goes in and your pain is a multiple of what you felt before.

It's not worth it. It's really isn't. 

Just now, CVByrne said:

I stayed positive but there comes a point when you know it's over. You can stay to the end if you want. Prolong your pain. 

Nah, **** it. This season shows exactly why this club is poisonous to support. You let your guard down and let hope get in and the moment that happens the dagger goes in and your pain is a multiple of what you felt before.

Serious question: why even bother following football when it clearly makes you so miserable?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Pretty insulting to the fans of hundreds/thousands of other clubs tbh.

Just now, Mantis said:

Serious question: why even bother following football when it clearly makes you so miserable?

A question I wish could be answered. I do hate football. There is no joy at all to it. Win a game happy for a few mins or just relieved. Games like Newcastle at the start of the season or United yesterday. Days of suffering.

There is no trade off. It's all a complete negative. Especially this cursed club 

Just now, CVByrne said:

A question I wish could be answered. I do hate football. There is no joy at all to it. Win a game happy for a few mins or just relieved. Games like Newcastle at the start of the season or United yesterday. Days of suffering.

There is no trade off. It's all a complete negative. Especially this cursed club 

In the grand scheme of things do we really have it so bad? Most clubs would kill to be in the position we're in.

• Like 2

I dont think we will get top 4/5 because our players don’t have the level of mentality and experience to finish that strongly..

Mainly our defence is a big problem for me..

Carlos, Lenglet & Cash aren’t getting us Champions League football.

If we were difficult to score against i would back us but our defence is weak against top 8/10 opposition..

36 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well, for starters Chelsea will be docked 10+ points for ffp next year. And are already a basket case. Newcastle will bin off Howe and get in someone much worse. God knows what will happen at United but Ratcliffe/Brailsford will change things and they'll have to rebuild again to replace the spine of their team. 

Truly can't see any of them being significantly better next season. 

43 minutes ago, Mantis said:

That a good question. I sometimes think I can’t be bothered anymore. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

33 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'm sorry to hear that. This is the most I've enjoyed following our great club for years. I'm disappointed by results like yesterday but there is so much positivity about where we are heading at the moment, that goes quickly. And the highs are just amazing - rewatch us schooling City for a boost of endorphins. Ever since Unai came in its been a joy for me. I wish you could enjoy it too! We're not going to win every week but that wouldnt give the highs. 

Ultimately, if we fall short I won’t be blaming the players or the manager or the club for that matter.  We are stuck with an FFP system which does not allow us to succeed without our best 12 or 13 players involved every single week.  We are simply not allowed to spend enough to swell the ranks of the players capable of challenging for the top 5 positions.