Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’re not getting close to Liverpool or Man City - especially with Doku and De Bruyne back now. 

Arsenal are better than us but look fragile. Spurs are as good as us and have Maddison coming back.

If you had a gun to my head, I’d say we’ll finish 5th. I don’t think we’ll make the top 4. 

Cue the, ‘Oh my god you’re such a bed wetter’ posts.

I understand you point but we have Emery whose tactically and technically far better than Arteta or Ange.

Ange is still very new to this elite level and so far I don’t see a plan B when things don’t go well, he may become brilliant but still early days.  I think Arteta is mentally weak and a bottle job.  

Whether people agree with me or not, Emery is head and shoulders above both.  

I also think we are a far more balanced team than either Arsenal or Spurs.  

If you put a gun to my head I think one of them will screw up and we’ll get fourth because we will continue to be consistent.

I think we might get third if we are lucky with injuries because Emery gets us there and he’s consistent since he came here 15 months ago re results.

7 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

On that, say if Brighton won the europa but finished 9th, they would get a champions league spot. 

If it goes to 5 places and we finished 5th, would we miss oit? 

Not according to the Premier League site:

In theory, there could even be seven Premier League clubs in the Champions League next season, although it would require for Premier League clubs to win this season’s UCL and UECL while both finishing outside the top five.  

Qualification for the two other UEFA competitions, the Europa League and Europa Conference League, will follow the same protocols as in previous years, albeit if the fifth spot qualifies for the Champions League, the Europa League spot will go to the team finishing sixth.  

47 minutes ago, useless said:

Since Arsenal we've taken five points from four games, that's our worst run this season from a four game spell, but it's not something to be particularly worried about, Champions League qualifers Arsenal, Man Utd, and Newcastle all had two spells last season where they took less points than from a four game period than we have taken in the four games since Arsenal, going on a little run like that once or twice a season is normal for all teams unless they're showing Man City/Liverpool at their best type consistency.

Spurs this season had a run where they took just one point from five games, maybe they won't go on a run as bad as that again, but they will have furthermore spells where they drop points, they aren't going to be consistently brilliant.

8 points from 5 games.  Which you could say is a disallowed goal away from 2 points a game.

41 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’re not getting close to Liverpool or Man City - especially with Doku and De Bruyne back now. 

Arsenal are better than us but look fragile. Spurs are as good as us and have Maddison coming back.

If you had a gun to my head, I’d say we’ll finish 5th. I don’t think we’ll make the top 4. 

I wet the bed often. Happy to share some tips on cleaning up if that helps!?

• Thanks 1

The only result that was particularly sad in isolation was not being able to beat Sheffield United, they're genuinely one of the worst teams in Premier League history, they have less points now and a much worse goal difference than we had after the same amount of games the season we were relegated, some used their low block as an excuse, but they will play like that against most teams and lose against most teams.

Some have tried to claim that if we fail to quailfy for Champions League by one or two points it will be the fault of allowing Archer to sign for Sheffield United and him scoring that goal, but if you're going to pin it on that game, then the fault lies with us failing to beat one of the worst teams in the league, not with Archer scoring, we should have been capable of scoring more than one goal past them, also it's not just about one game, you could select any game and say we didn't achieve this and that goal because we dropped points in such and such game,

And maybe we wouldn't be doing as well as we are without selling Archer anyway, maybe it helped pay some of the Diaby or Pau fees

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

We have a better squad than Spurs. But nobody is talking about catching City or Arsenal or Liverpool. On balance, I think we can finish fourth. Spurs will concede a lot more than us. 

17 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We have a better squad than Spurs. But nobody is talking about catching City or Arsenal or Liverpool. On balance, I think we can finish fourth. Spurs will concede a lot more than us. 

This is such a stretch. 
They've had a lot of injuries and suspensions (as have we tbf), and are still right on our heels. They've got more depth than us.

Out of interest, if Spurs finish above us and we have a better squad, does that mean Emery is doing a bad job?

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

We have a chance of making the top 4 but 5th would be an excellent season regardless. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

We have a chance of making the top 4 but 5th would be an excellent season regardless. 

I wholeheartedly agree. I’d snap your hands off for 5th right now.

My worry is that we haven’t played well for 6 weeks and that this *could* be more our level. If this is the case then I think we’ll limp to 5th place. I really don’t think we’ve been great since the Man City game where we arguably put in one of the best performances I’ve ever seen at Villa park.

It’s a big game against Newcastle. We owe them one and they can’t buy a win at the minute. It’s also likely that Trippier will have left or be left out for that game and he is a source of a lot of their goals. 

We need to maintain that gap over Brighton, West Ham and Chelsea/UTD. I’m afraid I’m looking over my shoulder more at the moment, such has been our results of late.

Glass half empty and all that.

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

My worry is that we haven’t played well for 6 weeks and that this *could* be more our level. If this is the case then I think we’ll limp to 5th place.

Didn’t we get something like 81 points in 2023, that’s more of an indicator than 6 weeks

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Didn’t we get something like 81 points in 2023, that’s more of an indicator than 6 weeks

Absolutely, but you have to take recent form into account. We've been very good since the start of 2023, but that isn't what's going to get us over the finish line. We need to get back to more consistent performances. Honestly, I think we've been fortunate on the road a few times this season. 

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

For the record, I still think we'll finish 5th and that would mark a great season!!

Yeah just jesting, 5th would be brilliant and I think 3rd to 5th will be very close so a favourable or adverse result could be the difference of a place or two at the end of the season.

12 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Absolutely, but you have to take recent form into account. We've been very good since the start of 2023, but that isn't what's going to get us over the finish line. We need to get back to more consistent performances. Honestly, I think we've been fortunate on the road a few times this season. 

I think we’ve also been unfortunate (no penalty vs Everton) the fortunate bit levels out imo the scum 6 teams get the majority of decisions in their favour.

• Like 1

Battling Spurs for 4th it seems. 

I keep hearing contradicting things about 5th qualifying for Champions League this year.  Is that doubtful now due to Newcastle and Man Utd being shite in Europe?

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Battling Spurs for 4th it seems. 

I keep hearing contradicting things about 5th qualifying for Champions League this year.  Is that doubtful now due to Newcastle and Man Utd being shite in Europe?

Still very likely but we need English sides to go far in UCL, UEL and UECL. 

I'd find it interesting who would make a combined Spurs/Villa XI in the most objective of polls. For example, I'd hazard a guess a Villa fan would PERHAPS say:

-----------------------Watkins---------------------------
Son-----------------------------------------------Bailey
-------------Maddison-----Luiz----------------------
-----------------------Kamara---------------------------
Moreno-----Torres------Konsa----------Porro
----------------------Martinez---------------------------

Whereas a Spurs fan would probably say...

-------------------------Watkins---------------------------
Son--------------------------------------------Maddison
---------Bentancur---Luiz---Bissouma-----------
Udogie------Romero---Van De Ven-----Porro
-------------------------Vicario------------------------------

There isn't much in it, for sure. I just think they may have the edge.