Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

We got ourselves to blame, couldn't beat bottom of the table Sheffield United, a team that had taken one away point all season, and have one of the worst points totals of any team after eighteen games, they're only one better of than we were at the same stage in our relegation season, they defended deep but they will do that in most games and lose most games, it was a poor attacking performance from us, but not the end of the world, these kind of result happen, to us and to other teams a like. Overall we're still doing way well do not blame me.

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Why we need to beat teams like Sheff Utd

Ok but we didn't and there's nothing we can do to change that now? Although beating Arsenal, City and Brentford meant that we could afford to drop points yesterday without falling too far back.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Our star is fading, even if we're still high up in the table. I'm afraid we're not going to make it. Conference League again next season will be a good achievement in the end.

Wow are you really a Villa supporter? Sooner comeback and draw in injury time with seven internationals missing than throw away a two goal lead in injury time to Crystal Palace!

• Like 1

Spurs have already proven that they can go on big runs. Newcastle are just knackered now with their obliterated squad. And we can put Man Utd to bed for the rest of the season on Boxing day. It was a blip last night . Lets see if we can make sure that it is a single blip. Nothing to be afraid of at Old Trafford but we will still need our A game . Lets see if we can put down yet another marker. 

• Like 1

We really, really need that 5th place to go to England as I believe that's where we will finish.

It's possible we could miss out and finish 6th behind a resurgent Man United or Newcastle but I'm confident we can grab that 5th place.

4th will go to Spurs, with Man City cheating their way to yet another meaningless title and Arsenal and Liverpool making up the top 3.

Let's hope the English clubs go far into their respective European tournaments.

Last night was just one game and although we were some way off our best, we were still only a couple of VAR decisions away from a win. We have bounced back before after dropping points and we can do so again. Top 5 is likely to give us CL qualification and we remain on course for that. A lot of people thought that our title challenge had faltered when we lost at home to Ipswich in 1981, but our manager still believed and we all know what happened then, history might still repeat itself. UTV!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

We really, really need that 5th place to go to England as I believe that's where we will finish.

It's possible we could miss out and finish 6th behind a resurgent Man United or Newcastle but I'm confident we can grab that 5th place.

4th will go to Spurs, with Man City cheating their way to yet another meaningless title and Arsenal and Liverpool making up the top 3.

Really? I rather think we are a tad better than them and they would still be behind us with a win, and also have to visit Villa Park. They are also Spursy....;)

11 minutes ago, John said:

Really? I rather think we are a tad better than them and they would still be behind us with a win, and also have to visit Villa Park. They are also Spursy....;)

Yes I think our squad has shown itself to be significantly worse than Spurs squad several times this season. (By that I mean that we have struggled pretty much every time we have had to make a few changes ie Mostar, Everton,  Sheff Utd.....)

We won at their place when they had about 6 players out and whilst it was a good win, we barely got over the line. 

Had they had Maddison and Bentancur (they had many more out)! and we were missing Watkins and Luiz, I reckon we would have lost heavily.

But my main concern is that we rely solely on Watkins as a striker, due to having absolutely no quality back up.

Spurs are only 3 points behind us despite their ridiculous injury list and when they get the likes of Maddison back, they will push on.

They also have no Euro distraction.

I doubt Buendia coming back will have the same effect, and that's if he comes back this season at all.

I'd be delighted with 5th and it would show real progression. I cannot see us finishing any higher, but it's hard to see us finishing any lower either.

Edited by GlobalVillan

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yes I think our squad has shown itself to be significantly worse than Spurs squad several times this season. We won at their place when they had about 6 players out and whilst it was a good win, we barely got over the line. 

Had they had Maddison and Bentancur (they had many more out)! and we were missing Watkins and Luiz, I reckon we would have lost heavily.

But my main concern is that we rely solely on Watkins as a striker, due to having absolutely no quality back up.

Spurs are only 3 points behind us despite their ridiculous injury list and when they get the likes of Maddison back, they will push on.

They also have no Euro distraction.

I doubt Buendia coming back will have the same effect, and that's if he comes back this season at all.

I'd be delighted with 5th and it would show real progression. I cannot see us finishing any higher, but it's hard to see us finishing any lower either.

They’re losing son to Asia cup and Sarr / Bissouma to AFCON which might help us.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Not sure I agree, Ange seems to only have one way of playing so far, which is very effective when it works but when it isn’t, he can’t adapt (so far).  This could be his Achilles Heel that clubs will learn to play against it (and have). We know Emery adapts, I still fancy us over Spurs purely because we have the much better manager.

17 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Conference League again next season will be a good achievement in the end.

No it would be a collapse of John Gregory - esque proportions. Anything less than CL now is not good enough. 

Edited by villa89

Just now, nick76 said:

Not sure I agree, Ange seems to only have one way of playing so far, which is very effective when it works but when it isn’t, he can’t adapt (so far).  This could be his Achilles Heel that clubs will learn to play against it (and have). We know Emery adapts, I still fancy us over Spurs purely because we have the much better manager.

I just think they have a bigger and better squad. The likes of Duran, Cash, Olsen and even Ramsey of late, are just not good enough for the level we are aiming for.

5th has a 77% chance of getting a CL place and I think we can get it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I just think they have a bigger and better squad. The likes of Duran, Cash, Olsen and even Ramsey of late, are just not good enough for the level we are aiming for.

5th has a 77% chance of getting a CL place and I think we can get it.

They have players going to Asia and AFCON, they have a poor defence, a mix of real quality in midfield and average but have injuries.  I don’t rate Richarlison but Son is Superb but if he gets injured like Watkins they are screwed.  You quote our players yet you could say the same about Spurs squad like their 1st team defenders and the midfield after the main ones, and I’ve already spoken about upfront.  I think we have a better balanced squad and I don’t see the “big squad “ you state but the difference maker for me is our manager.  I still think 4th will be ours, just because of Emery.

The pessimist in me says Spurs will grab 4th ahead of us, especially when they get the likes of Maddison, Van der Ven and Bentancur back. I also think they’ll strengthen in January by bringing in a quality player or two whereas I’m unsure if we will (although I think we really need to back Unai with some funds especially for a right back). One thing in our favour is they have a few going off to Afcon and Son playing in the Asia Cup.

Hopefully Brighton can get something off them in their next game 🤞🏻we could really do with at least 4 points from the next 2 games to stop them going above us.