Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

26 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I think we'll keep beating the lesser sides and losing to the better sides.

I think Mings is crucial to those unexpected wins

That would still get us about 80 points 

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That would still get us about 80 points 

I've been saying this to people.

If we keep doing what we're doing we'll be more than fine.

Yet it always seem to be an exaggerated meltdown everytime we lose to a top 6 team.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Yet it always seem to be an exaggerated meltdown everytime we lose to a top 6 team.

I’ve no doubt we will be fine - this is an emerging team and our best 11 is not yet  playing. I feel the second half of the season will really be something to look forward too 🤞🤞

When I'm getting caught up in moaning about parts of the current squad, performances its important to take a step back and think about how far we've come and how different we are as a club from much of the last decade.

Current premier league relegation odds.

Chelsea 250/1

Aston Villa 300/1

Man United 500/1

Important to give myself that context every so often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it'll be a tough lift for champions league. City, Arsenal, and sad to say - Liverpool - look like they will nail 3 of the positions. If there remains only 4, then we'd have to beat out Newcastle, Spurs, Brighton as our main competitors. There's always the lurking threat of United and Chelsea if they get their acts together, but I think they'll take too long to generate enough points. West Ham I think will fall off if they keep playing the way they do.

Europa qualification might be more realistic but can only keep winning games to see where it takes us.

We have 9 points after 5 games this season.

Last season we had 9 points after 11 games, which was when Gerrard got sacked.

If we can try and keep averaging two points a game over the season, we’ll be right in the mix. 

Get a few more of the injuries cleared up and we could be really firing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pinebro said:

This.

Emery has averaged 2 points per game in his (reasonably long) career, that is still standing as that is his record with us since he arrived too. I think we will score 10 more points this season than last and historically thats been good for 4th or 5th if you like statistics.

Its been said on here that we are a 'flat track bully' losing to the big boys but demolishing the weaker sides - well thats a good start isnt it because that hasn't been the case, we have slipped up against lesser teams too often in the past. If we beat the lesser teams and start winning against the top six thats the form of Champions. 

I can see us hitting our stride after Christmas in time for the run-in, we have so many new players, so many injuries and some real talent to return, and SO much talent and potential. I dont think we have really clicked and worry for teams when we do because we have enough talent in the players and management to really compete at the very top of this table.

Edited by thunderball

9 minutes ago, thunderball said:

This.

Emery has averaged 2 points per game in his (reasonably long) career, that is still standing as that is his record with us since he arrived too. I think we will score 10 more points this season than last and historically thats been good for 4th or 5th if you like statistics.

Its been said on here that we are a 'flat track bully' losing to the big boys but demolishing the weaker sides - well thats a good start isnt it because that hasn't been the case, we have slipped up against lesser teams too often in the past. If we beat the lesser teams and start winning against the top six thats the form of Champions. 

I can see us hitting our stride after Christmas in time for the run-in, we have so many new players, so many injuries and some real talent to return, and SO much talent and potential. I dont think we have really clicked and worry for teams when we do because we have enough talent in the players and management to really compete at the very top of this table.

Yeah I agree with this. You don't become champions league overnight (unless you're awash with oil money). Unai has to turn us into a team that will consistently beat everyone below us, at the minimum take away a win at home + draw away result and especially all 6 against the bottom 5. Yes - we need to compete with the top 4 and those around us -  but if we can split the series home and away with them - that will put us in a real good position for Europe.

Edited by DJBOB

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I think it'll be a tough lift for champions league. City, Arsenal, and sad to say - Liverpool - look like they will nail 3 of the positions. If there remains only 4, then we'd have to beat out Newcastle, Spurs, Brighton as our main competitors. There's always the lurking threat of United and Chelsea if they get their acts together, but I think they'll take too long to generate enough points. West Ham I think will fall off if they keep playing the way they do.

Europa qualification might be more realistic but can only keep winning games to see where it takes us.

What makes you think it might stay as 4? With City winning the champions league i'm almost certain England will get another spot based on coefficient this year?

@DJBOBignore the above, the coefficient will be based on how they get on this season... and West ham qualifying for Europa League is actually bad news for it as now we have one more team that can lower the average (although they do seem a bit more competent this year)

Edited by MrBlack

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

What makes you think it might stay as 4? With City winning the champions league i'm almost certain England will get another spot based on coefficient this year?

@DJBOBignore the above, the coefficient will be based on how they get on this season... and West ham qualifying for Europa League is actually bad news for it as now we have one more team that can lower the average (although they do seem a bit more competent this year)

Yeah I don’t think we will know until much later this season. My presumption will remain at 4 but maybe if all the English teams make the finals, it will force the issue. 

11 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I think we'll keep beating the lesser sides and losing to the better sides.

I think Mings is crucial to those unexpected wins

Where do teams like Chelsea and Man Utd fit on this scale now though?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I would say they would qualify as 'teams around us'.

They get belittled because of their legacy status but I think that as a fan base, we would be mistaken to see them as roll overs. Certainly not elite, but more than enough talent to make it a hard game regardless of their disorganization on and off the pitch.

22 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

That England have 8 teams in Europe instead of 7, can go both ways. The calculation this year would be the to add the coefficient for all teams and divide by 8.

Having 7 teams performing well and one badly, is better than having 6 good and one bad.

If we look at West Ham, they have been drawn in a relatively easy group in Europe League, and should be able to win that group.

In my view it’s more likely that we get the fifth CL spot than not.

15 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

That England have 8 teams in Europe instead of 7, can go both ways. The calculation this year would be the to add the coefficient for all teams and divide by 8.

Having 7 teams performing well and one badly, is better than having 6 good and one bad.

If we look at West Ham, they have been drawn in a relatively easy group in Europe League, and should be able to win that group.

In my view it’s more likely that we get the fifth CL spot than not.

Yeah, it does look that way with every one of our 8 in the group stages. And probably high expectations that us and Man City will go quite far in our respective comps.

2 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Man Utd have good players I expect the mto improve.

Chelsea have imo a bad squad and we should beat them

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

Palace and Fulham finishing 0-0 is the perfect result for our interests.

We should be finishing well clear of both.

Watching Brentford tonight and they're not as good as last season either. We do play them after a europa game so that will be an issue I suspect.

I think they'll be a sizeable gap between lower bottom half and upper top half as beyond the promoted trio everyone else will just be happy to stay up by looks of their squads.

On 18/09/2023 at 14:50, ferguson1 said:

We have 9 points after 5 games this season.

Last season we had 9 points after 11 games, which was when Gerrard got sacked.

If we can try and keep averaging two points a game over the season, we’ll be right in the mix. 

Get a few more of the injuries cleared up and we could be really firing. 

It's likely that this will be the first regular Premier League season (2020/21 was abnormal with the schedule and no crowds) since 2009/10 where we have no remotely serious relegation worries whatsoever.

• Thanks 1