Europa Conference League 23/24

HalfTimePost

11 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’m as excited as anyone to be in this competition but I think that’s a rubbish trophy. Like a boring vase.

This isn't boring:

Everybody needs to take a look at the Cup of Traditions trophy Aston Villa  just won - The Irish News

In seriousness, the conf. trophy is beautifully elegant. See above for details. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It won't hurt having 8 teams in Europe, the better they do the more likely England will top the coefficient for 23-24

Country coefficients | UEFA Coefficients | UEFA.com

The seasonal country coefficient is the average of the participating clubs from the country in that season. So more teams doesn't really help us unless they all over perform. And even then, a decent run in the competition with plenty of wins might see us with a higher club coefficient than the current one we get from the country score.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

The seasonal country coefficient is the average of the participating clubs from the country in that season. So more teams doesn't really help us unless they all over perform. And even then, a decent run in the competition with plenty of wins might see us with a higher club coefficient than the current one we get from the country score.

It is an average, but the more English teams in competition means the greater likelihood that one or two will overperform.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It won't hurt having 8 teams in Europe, the better they do the more likely England will top the coefficient for 23-24

Country coefficients | UEFA Coefficients | UEFA.com

Thanks. Yeah it doesn't necessarily help that there's an extra team as it's averaged points across all teams, but West Ham winning does indeed help as that's extra points and it's a five-year rolling average.

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Thanks. Yeah it doesn't necessarily help that there's an extra team as it's averaged points across all teams, but West Ham winning does indeed help as that's extra points and it's a five-year rolling average.

I think the overall coefficient is based on a 5-year average, but from what I read about the CL expansion (if I was reading it correctly), the extra two spots are based on the previous year only, and not the 5 year average.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I don't think there's any chance of us not taking the competition seriously. 

We might have to rotate our squad more, which will hopefully see Digne, and a few others of similar quality coming in to the starting line up but not materially weakening us. Obviously, we might choose to do that in the premier league games or the Conference league games depending on the opposition. Either way, but will be given the proper treatment by Emery 

I feel we need to have a core of at least 15 outfield players that are all of similar quality for it to work without form suffering in the league. Currently I think we have quite a drop off after around 12 outfield players, much like West Ham this season.

I think we will as well, but I am still scarred by a number of times we have fallen foul of so called lesser teams over the years. I am still raw from the defeat to Stevenage, but also remember being knocked out late by a late sucker punch goal by Helsingborg in the 90's, losing to Trabzonspor at VP after beating Inter Milan the previous round. That is before we even mention Bradford and Peterborough. I think I just like to ground myself and not getting carried away by vocalising my thoughts, and I don't like it when I see Villa fans dismissing the opposition sometimes as a gimme win.

I do think we are in better hands now at Executive and First Team management levels than we have ever been during my time of supporting Villa, so I think we will be ok. I just don't want the players or fans to be over confident and take their eye off the ball, lets bring the atmosphere for all of the matches at VP even if it is against so called minnows.

I agree that we will be in a far better position with our rotation options come the end of the summer, if Unai gets his targets. I am fairly hopeful that we will see some top quality signings arriving in the next few weeks to improve that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Extra two spots for 24-25 CL as it's being expanded to 36 teams. So the best two performing nations in the coefficient will get two extra spots, England would have received an extra spot in the last 6 seasons if it had applied.  the better English teams do next season means more chance of getting that 5th spot.

Surely they'll decide during the season rather than have to wait a few weeks after finishing 5th to see if that placing is good enough depending on next's season's finals?

Anyway that should be a genuine possibility for us given we were 5th after the Fulham home game and there were only 5 games left at that point.

So a few things from the last few days, Juventus finally abandoned the Super League idea today which is probably to coincide with avoiding a ban from UEFA. If Juventus are banned from Europe next season, then after losing last night Fiorentina would take their position courtesy of finishing 8th in Serie A. Fiorentina's coefficient would be lower than ours if they qualified and we would then be seeded.

Courtesy of West Ham winning last night, that moved Villa's coefficient from 21.799 to 21.856. Still not enough to move ahead of Viktoria Plzen who have 22.000. A City win at the weekend will also unlikely be enough to dislodge Plzen and put Villa into a guaranteed seeded position.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

I was delighted to be in this competition, and then Wet Spam won it with their shittest team in years.

Instantly devalued, certainly in my eyes anyway.

Sigh

It's still a trophy, and a free ticket into the Europa League.

1 hour ago, NeilS said:

I think we will as well, but I am still scarred by a number of times we have fallen foul of so called lesser teams over the years. I am still raw from the defeat to Stevenage, but also remember being knocked out late by a late sucker punch goal by Helsingborg in the 90's, losing to Trabzonspor at VP after beating Inter Milan the previous round. That is before we even mention Bradford and Peterborough. I think I just like to ground myself and not getting carried away by vocalising my thoughts, and I don't like it when I see Villa fans dismissing the opposition sometimes as a gimme win.

I do think we are in better hands now at Executive and First Team management levels than we have ever been during my time of supporting Villa, so I think we will be ok. I just don't want the players or fans to be over confident and take their eye off the ball, lets bring the atmosphere for all of the matches at VP even if it is against so called minnows.

I agree that we will be in a far better position with our rotation options come the end of the summer, if Unai gets his targets. I am fairly hopeful that we will see some top quality signings arriving in the next few weeks to improve that.

Did you see the comments from (Mings or McGinn?) about Emery's preparation and instructions for the Bournemouth game? Playing a team that was at the time in the relegation zone and generally playing rubbish, and he drilled the team to fully believe Bournemouth were a quality and dangerous side. Arguably they are, but it would have been easy to see us be complacent in that game in years gone by. Not anymore. Not under Emery.

We won that game 3-0 by the way. 

• Like 1

Just now, MrBlack said:

Did you see the comments from (Mings or McGinn?) about Emery's preparation and instructions for the Bournemouth game? Playing a team that was at the time in the relegation zone and generally playing rubbish, and he drilled the team to fully believe Bournemouth were a quality and dangerous side. Arguably they are, but it would have been easy to see us be complacent in that game in years gone by. Not anymore. Not under Emery.

We won that game 3-0 by the way. 

I did not see those comments to be honest, but I did go to that game. That is good to know, and why in the past I have always thought it best to spend big on a decent proven manager. We are in good hands for the foreseeable.

It's still a trophy, and a free ticket into the Europa League.

The trophy is a nice bonus.

Ticket into Europa League is the main and important part.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

This isn't boring:

Everybody needs to take a look at the Cup of Traditions trophy Aston Villa  just won - The Irish News

In seriousness, the conf. trophy is beautifully elegant. See above for details. 

Not sure if it’s the same cup but its in the window of the trophy shop in Old Hill. I’ve walked past it many times. Looks more like Neil Rioch close up.

• Shocked 1

It is an average, but the more English teams in competition means the greater likelihood that one or two will overperform.

Does it? Most perform to a pretty high level already so the bar to improve the average is high. Surely much more likely an additional side would underperform the average and bring it down?

West Ham have been the lead news item (main news, not sports news) today.  I think that can dispel the theory that this is a nothing competition. 

I wonder however if we'll be the main news item should we win it in 12 months time. 

• Like 1