Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

57 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Very good post, also to add to that. If by raising ticket prices a current season ticket holder is priced out of renewing but another person who has waited for years to get a season ticket now can. 

True - and the values of the century encapsulated in a nutshell - loyalty has no value, only cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

There's an absolute key in that statement - Heck isn't focused on people in Birmingham - there's a very limited amount of extra income that can be generated by people that go to games - the focus is on growing the wider fanbase, the people that won't ever go to games but will spend money watching us, buying Villa 'stuff' and so on - there are potentially tens of millions of those people out there - that's the focus. It's why there's this oddly growing gap between the opinions of fans that go to games and those that don't as to how well Heck is doing.

Any good business manager would be trying to grow all revenue streams. I bet he could grow the Birmingham income by tens of millions if he put his mind to it. 

Just as an example, i bet he could get 70,000 locals to Villa Park every 2 weeks if he was inclined to really put his mind and resources into doing that.  I also think he could get an extra £10m from existing fans without them even knowing they were spending more at Villa - mainly food, drink, merchandise, etc... whilst also keeping those who want a budget experience happy.  It's about thinking cleverly and having great communications and bringing the loyal fans on a journey with you.

I could get an extra 300 local paying fans down to Villa Park myself if i had a budget, a bit of time and if VP had enough seating to easily accommodate them (and not single tickets, but in batches of 10 seats together).

Edited by ender4

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think there's any chance of a move, probably in my lifetime - the opposite is more likely true = United don't really care that Old Trafford is falling down, it's not something that affects all but a very small number of their supporters - City don't care about empty seats, very few of their support base is interested in actually attending - the hard reality is that we're a brand, we're a TV programme with a live studio audience, 99% of the people who watch the Premier league don't give a monkeys as to whether I can get a burger or a seat for my bestie. The club will want to get the best yield they can from the asset - but it's not top of the list for ways to increase revenue.

I think you’re probably right, like it or not fans at football grounds are no longer deemed to be very important, lock down demonstrated that vey well not so long ago. Businessmen like Chris Heck and the men he works for, know this very well as do the people who run most clubs and this extends beyond this to loads  of industries too, as demonstrated by loads of people now working from home. Humans eh, who needs them they’re a nuisance and cost a lot of money to look after. Perhaps we should all invest in Subuteo? Although I’ve just probably demonstrated that I’m old and way behind the curve by forgetting computer based football games. I missed the bus again!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Just as an example, i bet he could get 70,000 locals to Villa Park every 2 weeks if he was inclined to really put his mind and resources into doing that

That's not a bet he wants to take - he's just cancelled a big project because he doesn't believe he cab get 50,000 (or at least the right 50,000) locals to Villa Park every two weeks.

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

THat's not a bet he wants to take - he's just cancelled a big project because he doesn't believe he cab get 50,000 (or at least the right 50,000) locals to Villa Park every two weeks.

Very true. And that's where the disconnect starts i guess. He either thinks he knows locals better than the locals themselves, or maybe he just doesn't care.because he thinks it's only worth an extra £10m a season and that's not enough to get out of bed for.

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Any good business manager would be trying to grow all revenue streams. I bet he could grow the Birmingham income by tens of millions if he put his mind to it. 

Just as an example, i bet he could get 70,000 locals to Villa Park every 2 weeks if he was inclined to really put his mind and resources into doing that.  I also think he could get an extra £10m from existing fans without them even knowing they were spending more at Villa - mainly food, drink, merchandise, etc... whilst also keeping those who want a budget experience happy.  It's about thinking cleverly and having great communications and bringing the loyal fans on a journey with you.

I could get an extra 300 local paying fans down to Villa Park myself if i had a budget, a bit of time and if VP had enough seating to easily accommodate them (and not single tickets, but in batches of 10 seats together).

This is the thing, and the whole of the thing.

You need to grow all revenue streams, not one at the expense of the other.

To me Heck seems limited in his thinking if he believes he can concentrate on the global stuff and ignore the local stuff.  He needs to chase chase every pound from every location, as all other teams seem to be doing.

• Like 2

Just now, ender4 said:

Very true. And that's where the disconnect starts i guess. He either thinks he knows locals better than the locals themselves, or maybe he just doesn't care.because he thinks it's only worth an extra £10m a season and that's not enough to get out of bed for.

Every Premier league game is watched by half a million Americans and a global audience in the tens of millions - a thousand people for every person in a seat at Villa Park - it's a lot more important in order to grow revenues to get a pound from each of the 40 million around the world than it is to try to get a thousand pounds from each of the forty thousand in the ground.

I don't think he's daft and I don't think he'll leave any stone unturned, including making sure that we get the maximum amount we can out of Villa Park - but he's probably right that the £100m it would cost to develop the North Stand would be more effectively used to encourage those people watching on TV's all over the globe to spend that pound.

I'd really love to hear him talk about this stuff, about the priorities in getting revenues up, how we drive global reach and so on - but that's not the way he's chosen to communicate so far and it might not be the way he wants to communicate - again, most people aren't as obsessed with the Villa as those of us that are on here - and he'll be talking to the big group, not the couple of nutters with the notebooks who brought their own snacks in the corner (that's me).

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I’m sure he’s put his mind to it and the costs involved in doing that, as most things, it’s not that simple. Back in the day I had a scaffolding business and would sometimes be asked to build structures that would involve a huge and complicated design which sometimes wouldn’t be practically possible but the answer was often, “It can be built as nothing is impossible but how much are you prepared to spend? Was always the relevant question, regardless of who the client was and any other factors which would come into play. 

Edited by DaveAV1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Very good post, also to add to that. If by raising ticket prices a current season ticket holder is priced out of renewing but another person who has waited for years to get a season ticket now can. 

In-stadium gentrification will no doubt be happening. Sure that's very much in Heck's plans.

Edited by sne

That's not a bet he wants to take - he's just cancelled a big project because he doesn't believe he cab get 50,000 (or at least the right 50,000) locals to Villa Park every two weeks.

Is it that plus the infrastructure complications? I feel like from Heck's point of view there's a few reasons why the construction isn't going ahead as previously announced? He's obviously now looking at ways to generate more revenue with what we have right now, see if he can polish a turd (north stand).

It's in his playbook for future seasons though that's for sure.

Every Premier league game is watched by half a million Americans and a global audience in the tens of millions - a thousand people for every person in a seat at Villa Park - it's a lot more important in order to grow revenues to get a pound from each of the 40 million around the world than it is to try to get a thousand pounds from each of the forty thousand in the ground.

I don't think he's daft and I don't think he'll leave any stone unturned, including making sure that we get the maximum amount we can out of Villa Park - but he's probably right that the £100m it would cost to develop the North Stand would be more effectively used to encourage those people watching on TV's all over the globe to spend that pound.

I'd really love to hear him talk about this stuff, about the priorities in getting revenues up, how we drive global reach and so on - but that's not the way he's chosen to communicate so far and it might not be the way he wants to communicate - again, most people aren't as obsessed with the Villa as those of us that are on here - and he'll be talking to the big group, not the couple of nutters with the notebooks who brought their own snacks in the corner (that's me).

If I was him, I would go full viral on social media with a Churchillian speech (especially in 150th year ) about the gap between our income and the rest of the teams we are trying to compete with something along the lines of come on Villans  club together. Send me your ideas speak to your friends sell our great club, one of the greatest clubs in the world to your friends and family, we are a unique team in name and history blah blah blah and make a complete advertising campaign out of it 

Increasing matchday attendance is not really our main issue financially. It's important to us as fans, yes, but from a marketing point of view, it's peanuts. That's why it's been scrapped. We all want the upgrade, but it won't make us money, and we should stop thinking about it in those terms. 

Figures vary slightly depending on sources, but using Forbes figures from May 2023, Villa's matchday income (£47.9M) makes up around 27% of our total revenue (£179M.) The big PL teams range from Man City (10%) to Arsenal (22%). If you are interested, at Man U it is 20%, Liverpool 15%, and Chelsea 14.9%.

Assuming for a second we can increase the capacity of VP to 50,000 (17% increase in attendance from current), and assuming that we make the same from each of the spectators pro-rata, it will net us an extra £8.14M per year (bringing total matchday revenue up to £56.04M, and total revenue up to £187M (based on 2023 figures)). That would mean matchday revenue would be 30% of our total revenue (again assuming 2023 levels), and we'd have increased our total revenue by.......drumroll........ 4.3%. 

So there are many reasons to increase the capacity of VP, but overall increase of turnover is not one of them, and we shouldn't be saying that it would make a significant difference in the long term, unless we could make VP 60 or 70K, and even then, broadcast rights dwarf matchday income. 

Let's call for an improvement of the North Stand for reasons of prestige, or to help the boys on the pitch by creating atmosphere, but not for income. 

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

These are some very, very serious allegations. Outright accusing some of the club's executives of criminal activity. Of course, does have to be viewed with a healthy amount of scepticism given it's a John Doe Twitter account, but if true...

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Â