Chris Heck - President of Business Operations

sne

Its obvious the owners have trust in him as he has been allowed rip up 2 Purslow pet projects the badge and the stadium increase

Expansion while disappointing I understand it is a big issue for clubs now but the badge I fully agree with

• Like 2

The owners have a low amount of interaction with fans, it's just the nature of it. What they do do though is attend games sometimes. Therefore towards the end of the season when they're in attendance if everyone is unhappy there needs to be extremely loud, systematic and sustained chants about how much of a weapon Heck is to drill the point home.

Edited by VillaJ100

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's a good job he is the head of business operation and not the football operation then. 

Ok so you don't think a basic understanding of the industry you work in is a must, or even a requirement then?  You don't think some understanding of the way Football fans think might help him to not piss so many of them off?   You don't think that ultimately what he decides is going to have any effect on Football operations?  I suppose that worked well for Lerner and Fox, and Boehly's doing wonders at Chelsea without knowing football anus from football humoris so yeah, I guess you're bang on there.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It was 12 years ago he left Red Bull and was apparently replaced by Houllier.

It was also a Red Bull franchise so its not a real fanbase or culture

The timing isn't particularly relevant, nor who he was replaced by.

I suspect you you as much as I do about whether it was a "real fan base or culture" or not, but it was a Football fanbase and a Football club and one of the main criticisms in the article is that Heck was totally ignorant about the Sport.  

19 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think he has a basic understanding of the football industry. I'll even suggest he has a far greater knowledge of the industry than anyone on this forum.

Some pretty big assumptions there.  Did you read the linked article?  In which people associated with Red Bull stated the very opposite?  Perhaps he somehow then gained such knowledge during his 9 years or so in the Basketball sphere.  Without question he knows more about commercial aspects of revenue increase, but that's not the same as understanding the industry as a whole.  Do his decisions so far, for example, display any understanding of how Fans think about the game?    

But that's not the point. His job is to up the revenue, so that football people like Monchi have the funds to build a competitive team. 

Indeed so it's even harder to understand why he'd decide to hold back on the new stand which would increase revenue, and in doing so piss off a lot of the fan base in the process?  Perhaps if he actually told us the real reasons we might understand better?

If you are worried about Villa becoming a corporate experience for the wealthy, I have some bad news. £25 tickets and £3 pints time is long over. Don't hate the player, hate the game. 

This is inevitable and has been underway for years. It's also a necessary evil if we want to compete at the top table.  But there are better and worse ways to go through the process.  I don't think pissing off the fan base at every turn counts as one of the better ways. 

Ultimately I fully understand he has a "dirty job" to do and that to get there he will have to make unpopular decisions like the Terrace View and the Lower Grounds.  But why not apply a little delicacy, diplomacy,  honesty and transparency to the process instead of treating us like idiots and pretending it's all about what we want. 

Edited by El Segundo
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

The timing isn't particularly relevant, nor who he was replaced by.

I suspect you you as much as I do about whether it was a "real fan base or culture" or not, but it was a Football fanbase and a Football club and one of the main criticisms in the article is that Heck was totally ignorant about the Sport.  

And what exactly about him being ignorant about the sport do you think is relevant to the criticisms he's copping at the moment?

The decision to refresh the branding or whether to rebuild part of the stadium (which have both been made with the support of the owners) aren't specific issues to football and aren't particularly different between football and any other major professional sport.

The NY Red Bulls had been around for 5 years when Heck joined them, with Red Bull having completely taken over the NY Metrostars who were formed just 12 years prior to that. I'm sorry, but a 17yo soccer team owned by an energy drink conglomerate in NY in 2011 can have it's culture and fanbase dismissed, especially when the fanbase watched the club get rebranded under an energy drink 5 years prior.

Aston Villa and the Philadelphia 76ers in 2014 have a lot more in common with each other than either of them do with NY Red Bulls. Both are old clubs who were historically big and successful but have been in a period of dormancy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, El Segundo said:

Some pretty big assumptions there.  Did you read the linked article?  In which people associated with Red Bull stated the very opposite?  Perhaps he somehow then gained such knowledge during his 9 years or so in the Basketball sphere.  Without question he knows more about commercial aspects of revenue increase, but that's not the same as understanding the industry as a whole.  Do his decisions so far, for example, display any understanding of how Fans think about the game?    

Indeed so it's even harder to understand why he'd decide to hold back on the new stand which would increase revenue, and in doing so piss off a lot of the fan base in the process?  Perhaps if he actually told us the real reasons we might understand better?

This is inevitable and has been underway for years. It's also a necessary evil if we want to compete at the top table.  But there are better and worse ways to go through the process.  I don't think pissing off the fan base at every turn counts as one of the better ways. 

Ultimately I fully understand he has a "dirty job" to do and that to get there he will have to make unpopular decisions like the Terrace View and the Lower Grounds.  But why not apply a little delicacy, diplomacy,  honesty and transparency to the process instead of treating us like idiots and pretending it's all about what we want. 

It's an assumption he hasn't got any football knowledge. The Red Bull thing happened 10 years ago. 10 years ago, Jacob Ramsey was a shit footballer. 

People learn and I don't even mind him not coming strictly from a football background. Again, his job is to bring money, something he seems to know a fair bit about. 

And "pissing off the fan base" is veeery subjective. Personally, I'm not pissed off. 

Yet.

For me it takes a bit more to get pissed off. I am going to give him some time to make an informed decision - maybe the new stand wasn't the best way forward? No one knows the ins and outs. I'd like a new stand as much as my 4 year old wants a new toy. But the parents know the financials behind it, and maybe want to save up to get him a better toy. 

Terrace view happend in the holte because that was the best place for it with our current stadium situation. And that revenue could get us a new Douglas Luiz extension. It's a price I'm willing to pay. 

I hope I am wrong (I have no inside information) but I think there is going to be another huge inflation busting increase on ST next Summer.

The more successful the Villa are this season, it will be the easier for them (Heck?) to justify the increase...

He is all cash generation and screw the consequences from what i have read . The owners have a chance to leave a legacy that will be known for generations by  building the new North Stand. Its the opposite of Randy who built a pub that isnt used. This is something that will be used for 40 /50 years and will transform our stadium. But he seems to have their ear. Shame 

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

I hope I am wrong (I have no inside information) but I think there is going to be another huge inflation busting increase on ST next Summer.

The more successful the Villa are this season, it will be the easier for them (Heck?) to justify the increase...

Guaranteed there is going to be a huge season ticket increase. If the owners are clever - which they clearly are - let Heck take the heat for the crest and then for the huge reaction that will occur when the season ticket increases are confirmed. Then sack him in the summer. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

And what exactly about him being ignorant about the sport do you think is relevant to the criticisms he's copping at the moment?

Well he may or may not have been able to get basketball fans onside but he isn't doing a great job of that here, and it seems from that article that it was similar at Red Bull.  Two football clubs, two sets of less than impressed fan bases. 

The fact he managed to alienate a not very well established fan base with a not very well established culture at Red Bull, as you claim,  is that a feather in his cap?  I imagine it would be pretty hard to upset such an unestablished bunch with little history or tradition, but he still managed it.       

6 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He is all cash generation and screw the consequences from what i have read . The owners have a chance to leave a legacy that will be known for generations by  building the new North Stand. Its the opposite of Randy who built a pub that isnt used. This is something that will be used for 40 /50 years and will transform our stadium. But he seems to have their ear. Shame 

In fairness I think the stadium being on hold is actually a football related decision.   We've turned VP into a fortress, if you rip an end stand down you kill the atmosphere and risk losing the fortress.  I think the decision they've made is why risk the one thing tbat is giving us a bit competitive advantage at the moment 

8 hours ago, Mic09 said:

It's an assumption he hasn't got any football knowledge. The Red Bull thing happened 10 years ago. 10 years ago, Jacob Ramsey was a shit footballer. 

People learn and I don't even mind him not coming strictly from a football background. Again, his job is to bring money, something he seems to know a fair bit about. 

And "pissing off the fan base" is veeery subjective. Personally, I'm not pissed off. 

Yet.

For me it takes a bit more to get pissed off. I am going to give him some time to make an informed decision - maybe the new stand wasn't the best way forward? No one knows the ins and outs. I'd like a new stand as much as my 4 year old wants a new toy. But the parents know the financials behind it, and maybe want to save up to get him a better toy. 

Terrace view happend in the holte because that was the best place for it with our current stadium situation. And that revenue could get us a new Douglas Luiz extension. It's a price I'm willing to pay. 

I doubt JJ was a shit footballer 10 years ago and he's since spent 10 years training to be a very good footballer.   Heck has been in Basketball. 

Heck clearly knows about the money side, I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise. 

Ok you're not pissed off, and I dare say others aren't either.  But plenty are.  

Indeed maybe the new stand wasn't the best way forward. - but then why not explain why? Surely he knows the ins and outs if he's made the decision?  Why spin a load of garbage about it?

You may be happy to be treated like a 4 years old, I'm not.  I fully understand the financial situation, the need for increased revenue.  Because I'm not 4, I can cope with being told the numbers don't add up or a new stand.  What I don't understand is why he has to ride roughshod over fan preferences whilst claiming we want what he has decided,  and lie about the justifications.  Why can't he just be honest with us and maybe we won't be so pissed off?    

• Like 2

Â