Ratings & Reactions: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/05/23 at 22:59

25 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Doesn't even matter who we sign. It never  change.

There is something 'midtableness' about our club that seem to have existed for agres and deeply enrooted within the walls of the club.

I don't know how or if he will be able to change the mentality. It will be the hardest part.

Many could write a massive post as to why this could be the case, but if you're a Villa fan you would also be able to write that same lengthy post.

12 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Doesn't even matter who we sign. It never  change.

There is something 'midtableness' about our club that seem to have existed for agres and deeply enrooted within the walls of the club.

I don't know how or if he will be able to change the mentality. It will be the hardest part.

Nonsense. I can only imagine you are of an age where you have only Lerner and Post Lerner as a reference?

I remember Chelsea, Man City, and to some extent Man Utd, being close rivals (and Man City being pretty poor). Half my life has been Villa being a nearly side - very much top 6 and just a player or two short of being top two. Ask yourself what right or pedigree Brighton or Leicester have to be where they are or have been. It is possible.

Champions League is the biggest change factor, and we haven’t been in it. Chelsea and Man City leap frogged success with extraordinary investment before FFP (and after FFP illegally!). But I can very much see with endeavour and this management team, we are well placed to make a challenge. There is certainly a seriousness and determination about NSWE/Purslow/Emery and also Alemeny that we haven’t had before in the modern time frame (since post old first division ‘Premier League’).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Little wrong with the performance yesterday, I’d we’d won 1-0 instead of the reverse we’d all be calling it another Unai masterclass. We did enough to win the game, certainly didn’t deserve to lose. I’d be more worried if we were playing badly.

Yeah if Mings keeps his volley down then it’s a different feeling. We were both unlucky and not very good at the same time.

1 minute ago, Enda said:

Yeah if Mings keeps his volley down then it’s a different feeling. We were both unlucky and not very good at the same time.

…and Watkins bullet header going anywhere other than straight at the keeper. And a possible penalty on another day.

Again we had 60+% possession and double the shots/on target tally. Not seen xG but can imagine it backing this up. With more luck this would be at least 2-1.

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

…and Watkins bullet header going anywhere other than straight at the keeper. And a possible penalty on another day.

Again we had 60+% possession and double the shots/on target tally. Not seen xG but can imagine it backing this up. With more luck this would be at least 2-1.

Yeah that penalty miscalled.  I don’t think generally the handball rule is correct but given they are what they are, that yesterday would’ve been given handball overwhelming most of the time this season normally.  

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Wolves 0.66 - 1.78 Villa. Taken from infogol. We definitely looked in the ascendancy just a shame we couldn’t score. Don Unai looked upset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Who ever thought that we didn’t? The imminent arrival of Alemany isn’t just because the hierarchy like his taste in suits. We’re still very much at the start of the journey. 

Hated. 

Those touching on top 4 and champions league, during the winning run.

4 hours ago, robby b said:

Well said!

Wingers rant:

We need wingers, proper wingers. We need them to be really fast and really effective/skillful/intelligent/good at crossing... We used to have some great wingers, e.g. the two Tonys (Morley and Daley), Walters, young Ashley Young... I miss those times. It seems like ages since we've had a top quality winger, ffs! This has held us back for too long. Enough is enough. It's high time we had one again. (Or two. Two would be even better, of course).

I'm not saying that Traore or Bailey are bad. But we badly need a winger or two who are (consistently) really good. (As opposed to not bad or ok-ish or sometimes quite good on a good day, etc... ).

well they ain't good.

We need more consistent players in many positions.....some had iffy games, even when we was winning.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Dominated them in the xG stats. Just one of those games we couldn't score. We've had plenty the other way and won so it's balancing out a bit.

I just want us to get at least 4 points from remaining games

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Dominated them in the xG stats. Just one of those games we couldn't score. We've had plenty the other way and won so it's balancing out a bit.

I just want us to get at least 4 points from remaining games

They played us at our own game, they conceded ground that wasn't important to them, and that inflated some of the stats.

The only stats that matter are goals for and goals against.

8 hours ago, Podster said:

the problem is he is basically trying to work miracles with what is not much different from the players Gerrard had, we need some fresh blood in the squad to give him the ability to change tack effectively enough to turn things around on days like today

spot on.

but I still worry, that we get the right players in....we need power,pace and natural aggression to add to this team.

Edited by TRO

I'm not too worried. We'll always have games like yesterday during a season. Problem was, through our previous good work we'd put ourselves in a position where we could make something tangible of this season, which made it a 'must win'.

We're all disappointed, naturally, but I'm choosing to look at the fact that we were only in the position to challenge for Europe in the first place due to a near miraculous run of wins. 

Had Emery been in charge since the beginning of the season, the stats say we'd have made Europe with change, and that's without a transfer window, and after the previous incumbent sold all our wide men.

I'm disappointed but not disheartened. Future is bright.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Little wrong with the performance yesterday, I’d we’d won 1-0 instead of the reverse we’d all be calling it another Unai masterclass. We did enough to win the game, certainly didn’t deserve to lose. I’d be more worried if we were playing badly.

I personally think there was a lot wrong  but not with the tactics the performance. Not getting the ball forward fast enough, passing to death inside their box, delaying or making wrong decision when they should pull the trigger and shoot.

Defensively i thought we looked good apart from the goal which was poor from mings

Unais still learning about them but i do think there is a bit of a mental problem with some players in the club. Sometimes they look frightened to take a chance

Edited by Demitri_C

All this mentality talk, UTV podcast was banging on about it yesterday. I watched the game yesterday & thought we were decent, we had most the possession most the shots & most shots on target compared to Wolves, we've had 3 big chances yesterday that 3/4 weeks ago those chances were going in, so to me there were no difference in performance or stats than previous weeks where we've won, on that 10 game unbeaten run there was couple games where we didn't play to well & won, mentality was said then, it's was we were clinical. The Man utd game thought we had some good moments in that game where we could of snatched a draw, but sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition, & if you watched that game you could tell Utd did the homework, stopping out midfield on the half turn that would enable us to drive at the Man utd Defence, they stopped that in snapping into tackles, admittedly if the yellow cards had come out early doors that may of changed them getting tackles in early but was allowed to do that most game. Its nice knowing teams are having to do there homework now where as before they just had to turn up or just had to concentrate on one player to stop us. The mentality has changed since Emery has come in & I haven't seen it wavier, I've seen the same philosophy in ever game we've played under Emery, yesterday was no difference. If anything the difference at the moment is the quality in some area's & our lack of squad depth when we get injuries, but I'm pretty sure that will be addressed in the summer.

16 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Heard from 3 commentators now that Villa played great football but were unfortunate not to get the goals. Not all doom and gloom, just think most teams have learnt to mark Watkins out the game, so may need to try something different.

watch Luke Robinson on the UTV Podcast.......I agree with him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I'm not too worried. We'll always have games like yesterday during a season. Problem was, through our previous good work we'd put ourselves in a position where we could make something tangible of this season, which made it a 'must win'.

We're all disappointed, naturally, but I'm choosing to look at the fact that we were only in the position to challenge for Europe in the first place due to a near miraculous run of wins. 

Had Emery been in charge since the beginning of the season, the stats say we'd have made Europe with change, and that's without a transfer window, and after the previous incumbent sold all our wide men.

I'm disappointed but not disheartened. Future is bright.

We will, but we have had too many over the whole season.....The last 4 have shown signs of this game too.

It depends what our individual expectations are, to know whether we should be worried or not......There are elements to this current team, that are not ready for European football.....I hope we do better in the summer.

There are about 4/5 players whose form has dipped recently, thats too much at one time, on top of key injuries, its too much to carry.

12 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Not at the moment, cos we don't have any wingers, but once we have quality out there, we can switch it wide in those circumstances. Overloading on defence will always open gaps elsewhere.

Right now, current form .......the issues are more than just wingers.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

We will, but we have had too many over the whole season.....The last 4 have shown signs of this game too.

It depends what our individual expectations are, to know whether we should be worried or not......There are elements to this current team, that are not ready for European football.....I hope we do better in the summer.

There are about 4/5 players whose form has dipped recently, thats too much at one time, on top of key injuries, its too much to carry.

Agreed we were never ready for actual European football, an to be honest I wasn't to bothered. Always wanted to get into that European conference league though. West Ham are pissing it, and their rubbish. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

We've had too many because for half of the season we had a numpty in charge. Even Man City have had games like yesterday.

Â