The Not Villa Summer Transfer Window 2023

His Name Is Death

David Sullivan confirmed Rice has played his last game for West Ham, possibly bullshit but this was an interesting quote.

“You can't ask for a man who has committed more to us this season," Sullivan said.

"In due course, he has to get on and we have to get a replacement - or several replacements. It's not something we want to happen. We offered him £200,000 a week 18 months ago. He turned it down.

"It's cost him £10m to stay at West Ham in that time [in lost wages]. And he wants to go. You can't keep a player who doesn't want to be there. The offers will start to come today.

Pretty huge being out of pocket by £10m. He/his agent must know he’ll earn far more from his next club.

link

Just now, The_Steve said:

£92m for Declan Rice?! Surely not. 

Gotta be one of the most over-hyped players around. What is he exceptional at? Nothing really. I’d rather have McGinn.

• Like 2

On 05/06/2023 at 14:10, CarryOnVilla said:

1332938402.jpeg

Top player, going to do well there 

Is it me, or does he look like he has two beards, superimposed over each other?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

David Sullivan confirmed Rice has played his last game for West Ham, possibly bullshit but this was an interesting quote.

Pretty huge being out of pocket by £10m. He/his agent must know he’ll earn far more from his next club.

link

£200k pw for Rice. Madness. He’s probably getting Grealish wages at Arsenal. 

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Gotta be one of the most over-hyped players around. What is he exceptional at? Nothing really. I’d rather have McGinn.

Winning the ball, tackling, blocking, heading

Stick him in a bayern Munich team that has 60%+ possession every week and he gets 80 touches I just don't see it, there's a reason they play kimmich in that role

If he goes there I can see them pushing him to a CB

He's not good enough on the ball for a top table team

• Like 2

Just now, villa4europe said:

Winning the ball, tackling, blocking, heading

Stick him in a bayern Munich team that has 60%+ possession every week and he gets 80 touches I just don't see it, there's a reason they play kimmich in that role

If he goes there I can see them pushing him to a CB

He's not good enough on the ball for a top table team

At an international level too, Phillips is a much better ball carrier when fully fit. Never understood the hype around Rice. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

£92m for Declan Rice?! Surely not. 

tbh, if teams want to spunk 92m on good-ish players, if that means they have less to spend elsewhere so we have a better run at other players, bring it on!

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

At an international level too, Phillips is a much better ball carrier when fully fit. Never understood the hype around Rice. 

Yep

The only way England should use rice vs the likes of Malta is if shaw and TAA are pushed way up over the half way line and rice can drop deeper to make it a back 3 in cover

Southgate obviously doesn't even do that

42 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

isn't it a bit weird that the official Premier League account is peddling this

Very weird to see them turn into a transfer news aggregator. It’s disgraceful really. All to help their so-called Big 6. 

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

I used to be a big fan of him and I do think his positional play off the ball is his best attribute- he has that habit of feeling like he’s everywhere in the middle of the park because of clever positioning.

but I’ve gone off him having watched him for England the last two years where he’s just so plodding on the ball with zero incisiveness. I agree that his ball carrying  is gonna be an issue in a team which dominates possession more