First game in years...questions?

Zhan_Zhuang

I have managed to get tickets for myself and the middle son who is seven years old and this will be his first game at Villa Park.

Got one of my three boys mad about the Villa.

Living outside of England it's been a few years since I saw a game so we are both looking forward to it.

Firstly what are our chances off seeing the players? Is it better before or after the game?

Second can I take a rucksack in with us? I was thinking I'd take my camera but then wasn't sure if this was allowed? 

Finally is the Villa store closed after the game? Should we do our shopping there before?

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Players I'm not sure of - but I'd recommend get there early, do your shopping first and take the boy into the academy building - there's inflatable stuff, he can have a kickabout and there are all sorts of activities for kids. I think you'll be fine with a rucksack, they'll search it on the way in, but I don't think it'll be a problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Players I'm not sure of - but I'd recommend get there early, do your shopping first and take the boy into the academy building - there's inflatable stuff, he can have a kickabout and there are all sorts of activities for kids. I think you'll be fine with a rucksack, they'll search it on the way in, but I don't think it'll be a problem.

Great, thank you for replying.

What time is early? Are there still car-parks around the ground?

Academy building next to the Club shop right?

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

10 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Second can I take a rucksack in with us? I was thinking I'd take my camera but then wasn't sure if this was allowed? 

It used to be a specific term on the tickets that you couldn't take a camera in. Double check the T&Cs on the OS.

• Like 1

If you are taking a drink in, make sure the cap is off and secreted somewhere about your person.

Drinks not opened are not allowed, ridiculous I know.

Unless they have changed the rules (I haven't been since the Lamebert days) but I doubt it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

You can definitely take your rucksack in. It will get searched for any bottles or cans.  Non-disposable flask is ok to take in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Academy building next to the Club shop right?

Yes, to the right of the club shop.  

They have some fun activities for the kids, including free face-painting.  But get there nice and early, the last hour before the match, it's so busy in there and the queues for activities and face-painting are too long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

It used to be a specific term on the tickets that you couldn't take a camera in. Double check the T&Cs on the OS.

Last time I was down was four or five years ago and I definitely took a camera in; think I might just leave it to be on the safe side. Thanks.

55 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

If you are taking a drink in, make sure the cap is off and secreted somewhere about your person.

Drinks not opened are not allowed, ridiculous I know.

Unless they have changed the rules (I haven't been since the Lamebert days) but I doubt it.

Bonkers isn't it? Thanks again.

48 minutes ago, ender4 said:

You can definitely take your rucksack in. It will get searched for any bottles or cans.  Non-disposable flask is ok to take in.

Great.

47 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Yes, to the right of the club shop.  

They have some fun activities for the kids, including free face-painting.  But get there nice and early, the last hour before the match, it's so busy in there and the queues for activities and face-painting are too long.

I remember taking the older boy in there about six years ago, will try to get in early on Saturday. Thank you.

The AVFC website does a matchday guide for each game, which usually comes up a few days before the match. That should answer quite a lot of your questions. I have seen in other threads that under Emery the players arrive by coach and head straight in to Trinity Road. In the past they used to drive in and have other pictures taken. 

I think McGinn and one other are regularly reliable at going to see the fans that have waited at the gate after the match. The rest might be pot luck.

But it can take some time before they show up so unless you're OK to stand around for a while and risk not seeing them it's probably not advisable. 

The shop was open after the last early kick off I went to (as i went in), haven't really noticed whether it is or not after later games though

• Like 2

I've taken a camera into Villa Park plenty of times.  Given that there are 40,000 mobile phones in the ground most weeks the club cannot be too precious about recording equipment anymore.   As ever with a camera it does depend on what lens you've got on the front. I've never tried to take a massive zoom into the ground, just a 35mm equivalent pancake lens which no steward has ever had an issue with.  So you'll probably be fine unless you did plan to get close ups of the players. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I've taken a camera into Villa Park plenty of times.  Given that there are 40,000 mobile phones in the ground most weeks the club cannot be too precious about recording equipment anymore.   As ever with a camera it does depend on what lens you've got on the front. I've never tried to take a massive zoom into the ground, just a 35mm equivalent pancake lens which no steward has ever had an issue with.  So you'll probably be fine unless you did plan to get close ups of the players. 

Now you have influenced me to take it, I did it last time I was there at Villa Park.

Thank you.

The Yew Tree has just revamped their car park and is positioned well for the ground. Get there at 1.30pm and will get a space. Hope your lad and you enjoy the experience

UTV

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Now you have influenced me to take it, I did it last time I was there at Villa Park.

Thank you.

I have never had a problem taking a camera with a decent zoom lens into the ground (admittedly a while back)

Taken from the Doug Ellis (M2) - I had to massively shrink it to upload on here!

VT.jpg

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

The Yew Tree has just revamped their car park and is positioned well for the ground. Get there at 1.30pm and will get a space. Hope your lad and you enjoy the experience

UTV

Excellent, thank you!

39 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

I have never had a problem taking a camera with a decent zoom lens into the ground (admittedly a while back)

Taken from the Doug Ellis (M2) - I had to massively shrink it to upload on here!

VT.jpg

Great photo. Jedi in all his bearded greatness, forgot about Steve Clarke there too. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

VT.jpg

Sweet jesus, this is a depressing photo.

• Haha 2

On 04/04/2023 at 23:34, TheStagMan said:

VT.jpg

Would have been an easy shot with a sniper rifle 🤣

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Absolutely and thank you for asking.

We saw Prince William, Naseef, Villa team bus arrive before the game.

A poor first-half yet a better second-half made up for it.

After the game my son got to meet and get a selfie with his second favourite player Buendia and his favourite player Cash among others.

I was surprised by how many came over and signed / took selfies...Martinez, Duràn, Cash, Watkins. Even got a selfie with Unia Emery which I was really happy about, seems a great guy.

Where did you meet all these players and manager? Outside the ground after the match? @Zhan_Zhuang

Edited by ender4

Â