FCG Meeting 2023/3/16

OutByEaster?

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

For me, just getting next years home shirt out as early as possible please ready for the summer.  New badge, new sponsor, new shirt ready for the summer.

I agree Nick, especially with the new badge being on there. There’s no change in manufacturer, if necessary I’d love to see us play in the new shirt on the last day against Brighton, even if that has Cazoo on it to ensure we don’t break any contractual agreement.

Great stuff though OBE, we’re going in the right direction 👍🏼

Edited by Woody1000
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

For me, just getting next years home shirt out as early as possible please ready for the summer.  New badge, new sponsor, new shirt ready for the summer.

Yes we always seem to be slow on this for as long as I can remember. Some clubs have the new shirt ready for the last home game of the previous season.

• Like 1

@OutByEaster?, any feedback on the food and drink trials that have been taking place in the lower Holte. Some great initiatives that have really made a difference to queueing times. All seem a huge success to me.

Any feedback on thoughts around premium seating in the Holte, the recent survey alluded to a few things, would be great to see what the club is considering.

Keep up the good work, its appreciated. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Can you ask why the club found it necessary to fly from Birmingham to Gatwick for the Brighton game? It would've saved little to no time at all, and they no doubt had the team coach drive down there to pick the team up from the plane to take to the hotel and onwards to Brighton's ground. I've no doubt this likely happened for the Newcastle game too. It is particularly jarring that this happens when a big part of the North Stand redevelopment focussed on sustainability and then they're taking 30 minute flights to save no more than an hour. We are well placed geographically that domestic flights should never really be necessary.  

Its a long trip by coach for players to be ready to play the same day and the club would have probably stayed overnight if we had used one. Back in the day often a train would have been used, although they aren't currently that reliable, so are not currently much of an option. It therefore makes sense, from the playing point of view to fly. I get where you are likely coming from, but I think as a country (& a football club) we are trying to do our bit on this, unlike say China, Russia and India (who seem to escape too much criticism). I have also seen other clubs have flown shorter distances in the past, such as Manchester United to Leicester and Spurs to Bournemouth. That said, we all are entitled to have our opinions on how the club could/should travel to away games. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

Its a long trip by coach for players to be ready to play the same day and the club would have probably stayed overnight if we had used one. Back in the day often a train would have been used, although they aren't currently that reliable, so are not currently much of an option. It therefore makes sense, from the playing point of view to fly. I get where you are likely coming from, but I think as a country (& a football club) we are trying to do our bit on this, unlike say China, Russia and India (who seem to escape too much criticism). I have also seen other clubs have flown shorter distances in the past, such as Manchester United to Leicester and Spurs to Bournemouth. That said, we all are entitled to have our opinions on how the club could/should travel to away games. 

Totally ban domestic flights for football - problem solved

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John said:

They would travel the day before a game, not on the morning of. 

Talking broadly, if you add the journey time up, it makes no difference. They're not crammed into the back of a minibus, there's likely 30-40 people on a massive coach. 

Time from their house to the airport (they may even meet at BMH which would add extra  time). In the airport for a while. Time on plane including taxiing etc. Landing at Gatwick. Gatwick to hotel. There's no way that would take less than 2.5  hours. If they stayed somewhere slightly north of Brighton, that's a 2.5 hour. What time are they saving exactly? And as I said before, they'd be being picked up by the team coach from Gatwick too. It's nonsense. 

And because United or whoever flew for 5 minutes less than us to Leicester is irrelevant & it doesn't justify our flight. My view is still the same. 

Edited by Milfner

19 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Totally ban domestic flights for football - problem solved

Who has authority to do that? I can’t think of any part of football that has the authority to do that.

Well they should promote in house. Can't have any credibility promoting sustainable measures elsewhere whilst clubs fly domestically. It's a complete joke. There should be a minimum distance criteria so essentially it might only be Newcastle flying to the most southern clubs who qualify. Otherwise, get on a **** bus

• Like 1

I think taking domestic flights is a matter of choice for the football club concerned and it is clearly something that posts above, show that those posters would like our club to consider, which is fair enough.

I think that actually banning such flights would be something that the government would have to do, it has been done in France for internal flights between cities with a train link that takes less than 2.5 hours and the European Commission has rubber stamped this (although only flights between Orly, and Nantes, Lyon & Bordeaux are currently subject to the 3 year ban). This doesn't apply to private jets though, so the choice remains with the flyers themselves. 

Another suggestion is to please turn the PA volume of the "music" down, cannot hear myself think sometimes it's so loud. Especially bad at the entrance of the teams and at the end of the game...

Rant over, for now 😊

Â