Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not true

I think your understanding of our finances, our FFP and the way FFP works isn’t correct.

@eholmExclude the net spend comment above but the relative spend re FFP, compared to the pure profit sales along with the significant headroom re FFP before the transfer window started means we have significant FFP headroom to make a large acquisition still in this transfer window and still have plenty of headroom.  Will we? I don’t know, but FFP is currently not hindering our ability to add further large fee signing and wages this window.

We will agree to disagree on our indivdual interpretations of FFP etc - its a very convoluted system at best! 

Unai wants success and wants it quickly i.e. top four finishes etc, CL football regularly. If he genuinely still had in excess of ANOTHER £50M PLUS wages to spend then why has he not spent it? I get the spending on players that will only improve us and those that Emery wants argument......but I cannot think of many managers who would rather sit on £50M instead of using to improve on what he already has.

He's not going to spend £50M....because he hasn't got it to spend. Occam's razor and all that. 

(All of course IMO). 

37 minutes ago, eholm said:

Remote possibilty of a loan I guess...however, Barca need the cash so cant see that unless with an obligation - again brings us back to the fact that we cant afford that yet. If anymore come in we will be looking at Moreno-type deals in regards to outlay.

It's not a fact.

5 minutes ago, eholm said:

We will agree to disagree on our indivdual interpretations of FFP etc - its a very convoluted system at best! 

Unai wants success and wants it quickly i.e. top four finishes etc, CL football regularly. If he genuinely still had in excess of ANOTHER £50M PLUS wages to spend then why has he not spent it? I get the spending on players that will only improve us and those that Emery wants argument......but I cannot think of many managers who would rather sit on £50M instead of using to improve on what he already has.

He's not going to spend £50M....because he hasn't got it to spend. Occam's razor and all that. 

(All of course IMO). 

Why hasn’t he spent it? I’m guessing he and Monchi have/are trying to do deals but won’t buy somebody for the sake of it.  We are probably trying to buy players who think they are better than us or hoping for a Champions league placed team to come in for them or the other club is asking for too much or deals can take time or they are waiting for the player they want or a number of other reasons I can think of quickly.  

In terms of finances though, whether it any of those reasons or something else it doesn’t take away that we have significant FFP headroom.  Don’t believe me, fine, but there are plenty of others on this forum who have also done the maths in relation to FFP and have said we have plenty of FFP room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think you're right.  Ansu Fati is on £230,000 a week, about £12,000,000 a year, over 5 years about £60,000,000, with £50,000,000 transfer fee on top.  There is no way we are spending over £100,000,000+ on Ansu Fati 🤣

He'd want a big payrise too...

No way are Villa spending £250,000 per week on a player like that with injury history.

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

I think that’s the thing about facts: they aren’t a matter of opinions.

It was tongue in cheek!

No-one apart from the club accountants etc know the actual facts.

That doesn't stop us individually from applying some common sense and logic to multiple scenarios upon which one can infer a measured opinion. Thats the beauty of a forum.

I firmly believe we do not have the abilty to spend huge sums on new signimngs....clearly others do..... and thats fine. It'd be so boring if we all thought the same and lived in an echo chamber. 

Look, I'd love us to go and spend upwards of another100M on more signings obviously but I do not think we are even in that ball park....yet. And that is the challenge we have in trying to get to achieve those huge revenue streams (CL etc) with the relaative limited budgets that we are afforded. If anyone can do it though its Unai. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

This was interesting re FFP:

This was before the sale of A Ramsey too

Also if we finish higher in the league that means more prize money. If we get champions league football that will be a massive increase in revenues. Plus higher league finishes means more sponsorship revenue. Also the stadium expansion will mean more match day income. Winning trophies come with prize money. And now our academy is making money for us. Lots of ways to bring in money for a club with the size and ambition Aston Villa has. Our 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why hasn’t he spent it? I’m guessing he and Monchi have/are trying to do deals but won’t buy somebody for the sake of it.  We are probably trying to buy players who think they are better than us or hoping for a Champions league placed team to come in for them or the other club is asking for too much or deals can take time or they are waiting for the player they want or a number of other reasons I can think of quickly.  

In terms of finances though, whether it any of those reasons or something else it doesn’t take away that we have significant FFP headroom.  Don’t believe me, fine, but there are plenty of others on this forum who have also done the maths in relation to FFP and have said we have plenty of FFP room.

Again, a valued opinion. Just different to mine.

12 minutes ago, eholm said:

Again, a valued opinion. Just different to mine.

Opinion is if we should buy somebody or not.

The FFP headroom while not precise is close to actual, somebody posted another posters data on the last page.  So it’s not opinion it’s based readily available factual data.  It’s not an opinion based assessment.

So for on-topic for this thread, we have the availability for a significant purchase within our FFP but whether we will or are, will be down to a number of factors

Edited by nick76

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

I think you're right.  Ansu Fati is on £230,000 a week, about £12,000,000 a year, over 5 years about £60,000,000, with £50,000,000 transfer fee on top.  There is no way we are spending over £100,000,000+ on Ansu Fati 🤣

Where did you get the £230,000 per week figure from duke? I've checked his history and he's been at Barcelona since he was 10 years old. His senior career has been blighted by a couple of long term injuries, and he doesn't appear to have played a full match in three seasons. He's been used as a sub mostly and his match ratings are very average probably due to his lack of minutes. He has good potential but he wouldn't merit that sort of contract.

So why would Barcelona be paying him 268,000 euros (£230,000) per week? Genuine question.

Edited by villabromsgrove
missing word

2 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Where did you get the£230,000 week figure from duke? I've checked his history and he's been at Barcelona since he was 10 years old. His senior career has been blighted by a couple of long term injuries, and he doesn't appear to have played a full match in three seasons. He's been used as a sub mostly and his match ratings are very average probably due to his lack of minutes. He has good potential but he wouldn't merit that sort of contract.

So why would Barcelona be paying him 268,000 euros (£230,000) per week? Genuine question.

He signed a new contract in 2021 when he was seen as one of the biggest talents in the world. That contract also upped his release clause to €1bn 

Barca pay absurd salaries which is why they are in the financial mess that they are.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

He signed a new contract in 2021 when he was seen as one of the biggest talents in the world. That contract also upped his release clause to €1bn 

Barca pay absurd salaries which is why they are in the financial mess that they are.

Wow, given the number of minutes he's actually played for them they've got a woeful return for their euros! If that really is his salary no wonder Barca are desperate to sell him, and no wonder he doesn't want to leave.

Just now, villabromsgrove said:

Wow, given the number of minutes he's actually played for them they've got a woeful return for their euros! If that really is his salary no wonder Barca are desperate to sell him, and no wonder he doesn't want to leave.

Yes, and no wonder no sale so far.

5 minutes ago, sne said:

There is no way he's on £230k a week, he'd player 25/30 ever games for Barca and they were in financial turmoil. 

The crazy salary era got them into the trouble they were not handing out a salary only 20 players in the entire Premier Legue would be on

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Don't mean any offence but there are a handful of us who know how the specifics work and collectively trawling through the club's accounts and reported transfer fees and wages to work out the headroom we've got. We're all in agreement in the FFP thread about our capacity right now to spend. 

There are two looming items which need to be worked through. The phase in of UEFA new rules and the drop off of Grealish £100m in the three year rolling accounts. Those are more problems for next summer however. 

If we add more costs now it makes our capacity to add then reduced. Which is why I feel next summer is a sell a big asset time. Like selling Cash or something to balance things. 

Signing Fati now would add £8m in amortisation and say £5-6m in wages this season. Which is covered simply by selling Archer for example. 

No offence taken at all mate. Its a very informative thread and I've read it consistently. My reason for believing we do not have the ability to spend £50M+ is precisely because of the impact it will have on us in future seasons where we would then HAVE to sell to buy. (anyway, i'll stop now as I'm defintiely OT here).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Opinion is if we should buy somebody or not.

The FFP headroom while not precise is close to actual, somebody posted another posters data on the last page.  So it’s not opinion it’s based readily available factual data.  It’s not an opinion based assessment.

So for on-topic for this thread, we have the availability for a significant purchase within our FFP but whether we will or are, will be down to a number of factors

As previoulsy stated....an interesting view....just not one I share.

• Like 1