Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

22 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Don't we have a couple of decent youth prospects at CB in the academy?

Not saying we should be starting them in games, but a few sub appearances to break them and we might just find a gem.  

Feeney is future captain material 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Why are posters so obsessed with Brighton ? Thought this was an Aston Villa - the founding fathers of the football league forum… Don’t  give two shits what others are doing. We have Emery, Monchi, Vidagany & Lange and I have full faith in them to do what’s best for our great club. 

Brighton are nowhere near the prestige and size of this great football club, but not sure why it upsets you to call out their transfer business model which is making them literally hundreds of millions every season?

We aren't a selling club and that is the difference, but we should still be uncovering future stars rather than purely buying players who have already reached that potential. Even if that was 10% of our transfer policy.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Brighton are nowhere near the prestige and size of this great football club, but not sure why it upsets you to call out their transfer business model which is making them literally hundreds of millions every season?

We aren't a selling club and that is the difference, but we should still be uncovering future stars rather than purely buying players who have already reached that potential. Even if that was 10% of our transfer policy.

Everyone bar a few are selling clubs. We always sell our best players to 'better' teams.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Arguably we are - but they are more academy players. Where I would like to see us be a little bit more active is bringing in the players at a slightly later stage (early 20s eg) as back up/rotation options, but with a lot of potential upside. However, arguably the priority for this summer is first team, which we have addressed, and we still have a few back up type players we need to move on

• Like 1

I think we're rattled as a club right now. I don't know how we are planning to deal with the losses of Buendia and Mings. Whatever we do, the players we bring in have not had preseason with us and will need time to adapt. We need to rebuild confidence after the last few days events having rocked the club and kicked the stuffing out of us fans. 

I haven't a clue what to expect will happen now! we could have a rocky season ahead or we could do well. All I know is I have no hopes or expectations for the season now. I dread to think about what might happen if we lose at home to Everton

• Like 4

1 minute ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Arguably we are - but they are more academy players. Where I would like to see us be a little bit more active is bringing in the players at a slightly later stage (early 20s eg) as back up/rotation options, but with a lot of potential upside. However, arguably the priority for this summer is first team, which we have addressed, and we still have a few back up type players we need to move on

Something I would like to see also.  We've done well in signing academy players in the 16-17 age bracket, but they are a few years away from being introduced to first team football.  

Duran is the only recent example of this from us. Whereas in the past season or two Brighton have Enciso, Adringa and Buonanotte all making an impact on the first team, as well as Colwill on loan who wasn't much older.  

Hopefully with Monchi on board we can see some signings like this to supplement the first team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Something I would like to see also.  We've done well in signing academy players in the 16-17 age bracket, but they are a few years away from being introduced to first team football.  

Duran is the only recent example of this from us. Whereas in the past season or two Brighton have Enciso, Adringa and Buonanotte all making an impact on the first team, as well as Colwill on loan who wasn't much older.  

Hopefully with Monchi on board we can see some signings like this to supplement the first team.

Other examples from our past would be Bosnich, Yorke, Ehiogu (I don't include Barry as he was a  bit of a teenage prodigy)

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

I think as soon as you start with a team like the below - it feels better.

Cash - Konsa (or Carlos) - Torres - Digne

McGinn - Kamara - Luiz 

Tielemans

Diaby --- Watkins

No Bailey, McGinn covering for Cash, even Konsa at right back would be fine.

We just suddenly need Tielemans and Torres to hit the ground running more than we thought we did.

Throw in Zanilo as an option if we want to swap the midfield around - it doesn't feel as bad.

We still need to decide what is happening with Archer and if going on loan or transfer with buy back, get on and buy another striker.

Cash and Digne together is a massive no from me. Konsa RB with Carlos and Torres CBs would be tons better.

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think we're rattled as a club right now. I don't know how we are planning to deal with the losses of Buendia and Mings. Whatever we do, the players we bring in have not had preseason with us and will need time to adapt. We need to rebuild confidence after the last few days events having rocked the club and kicked the stuffing out of us fans. 

I haven't a clue what to expect will happen now! we could have a rocky season ahead or we could do well. All I know is I have no hopes or expectations for the season now. I dread to think about what might happen if we lose at home to Everton

The fans are rattled, certainly, but that's because we have no control of this situation and have hit a big patch of adversity.

The good news is that we have one of the best managers in the game to sort things out, with a recruitment team he trusts behind him and wealthy owners. 

27 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Everyone bar a few are selling clubs. We always sell our best players to 'better' teams.

You say that but who have we sold since promotion aside from Grealish?

I honestly expected to lose Luiz and Martinez but we haven't. If Watkins doesn't sign a new contract maybe that could be the case.

I get you mean that if any Champs league club came in for any of players and they wanted to go we would be hard pushed to stop them. Now we have the spectre that any player who wants to earn stupid wages can go to Saudi.

6 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

What will happen is We'll be absolutely fine We have a strong squad built to withstand exactly the sort of misfortune that has occured. It's sad for the two players but we will get over it

Obviously judging by some of the over reaction from some fans they think our season has just disintegrated. Well it hasn't and we are still Top 6 contenders Just calm down everyone

Yes. We looked a bit rattled in the match by the Mings injury coming so soon on the back of the Emi2 news and it'll certainly mean we'll now take a little longer to get fully firing but under Unai there is no better manager to adjust tactics and plans. We still have a few weeks to go for recruitment of new bodies - and I'm certain we will be active. 

There are a lot of really rubbish teams in the league - we are still going to be competing for the same European places come the sharp end of the season IMO. The only way is up from 20th, right. Right?

• Like 1