Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Just now, allani said:

The best hand gesture in the world.  It means whatever the **** you want it to mean and for that meaning to be fully understood by everyone else every single time.  I must use it at least 10 times a day.

Are you Italian or just live/moved there?

I am a 90s Serie A obsessive (as everyone probably knows by now 🤣) and always been an Italy fan… Del Piero, Totti and Pirlo are my faves… along with many others 😂

One of the reasons why I would have loved to have signed Chiesa, one of my favourite players right now… that ship has sailed though…

1 hour ago, ForeroGabe said:

He’s not poor. But he has a good game 1/5 times. To me that means he has no means of starting and should be an impact sub. 

Plays like the worst footballer in the world then plays as one of the best. We don’t need that inconsistency in our starting line up. Just because he had one good game shouldn’t deceive us we have better players in the squad and Buendia could easily be upgraded 

The level of hyperbole here is the best in the world. The rest of the post is the worst in the world.

• Like 1

Watching James Lawrende Alcott who has done a squad comparison. Reckons our first XI is 7th strongest. But he had sone data that suggested that our lower half iof our squad so to speak is better than spurs and newcastles. Less of a drop off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Are you Italian or just live/moved there?

I am a 90s Serie A obsessive (as everyone probably knows by now 🤣) and always been an Italy fan… Del Piero, Totti and Pirlo are my faves… along with many others 😂

One of the reasons why I would have loved to have signed Chiesa, one of my favourite players right now… that ship has sailed though…

No born and bred in the UK but moved here 8.5 years ago (brilliant and loving every second of it), just got my dual citizenship.  Big fan of Gabriel Batistuta back in the day and more recently Totti (hence my allegiance here to Roma).  I think there are some really good young players coming through in Italy again - it might take a couple of seasons for them to make it big on the wider scene but I think it's somewhere where we could be doing some good scouting and trying to disrupt the likes of Juve and Inter just sweeping up the talent.  However, we need to get a couple of really good (authentic) Italian restaurants opened just round the corner from BH and VP otherwise their mums will worry that they won't be able to eat any good food and will tell them not to sign!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Watching James Lawrende Alcott who has done a squad comparison. Reckons our first XI is 7th strongest. But he had sone data that suggested that our lower half iof our squad so to speak is better than spurs and newcastles. Less of a drop off. 

On paper I would say that that is hard to disagree with.  I think it is counter-balanced by the fact that our squad and our manager seem more in tune than at least one of the teams ranked on paper ahead of us.  Emery has us playing better than the sum of our parts and I don't think all the teams around / above us can say the same thing.  Will be interesting to see a similar comparison by the end of the month / window.  I just have a feeling in my bones that something big is about to drop (in a good way, a very good way).  But then I've probably had a similar feeling in each of the last 5 windows if not more!!! 🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, allani said:

No born and bred in the UK but moved here 8.5 years ago (brilliant and loving every second of it), just got my dual citizenship.  Big fan of Gabriel Batistuta back in the day and more recently Totti (hence my allegiance here to Roma).  I think there are some really good young players coming through in Italy again - it might take a couple of seasons for them to make it big on the wider scene but I think it's somewhere where we could be doing some good scouting and trying to disrupt the likes of Juve and Inter just sweeping up the talent.  However, we need to get a couple of really good (authentic) Italian restaurants opened just round the corner from BH and VP otherwise their mums will worry that they won't be able to eat any good food and will tell them not to sign!

Haha Cassano even in Genoa bought a house for his mom and mostly ate there as his fave Bari cuisine could not be had when he played for Sampdoria...

• Like 3

On 31/07/2023 at 23:34, thabucks said:

Well @RicRic I don’t want to add to your concerns as you obviously have many 😂 I mean Torres’ record for Spain of 15 goals in 35 games or his 9 goals in 21 champions league games is a meagre return I’ll grant you that 😉

I never said torres wasn’t good enough for us i just had to raise some concerns and the responses was unjust, id take him at villa but would rather assess all areas before we dive in due to his big name.

Dream end to this window for me would be good loan moves for a few youngsters, Saudi club bids silly money for a squad player of ours and then signing Wan-Bissaka and De Ketelaere (or players similar to) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allani said:

You lucky sod 😂 Glad you’re enjoying it!

Batistuta was awesome! One of the best strikers ever! I’d love us to sign a similar player 😂 he was quite unique though…

Yeah, I’ve found that many Italian players seem to struggle to settle abroad and are quite “homely”… not that I blame them at all!

I’ll throw a random name out there too, Enrico Chiesa… scored some sumptuous goals, what technique!

I adored Benito Carbone too, particularly his goals (and that wonder strike) vs Leeds in the cup… another sort of player I’d love back at the Villa 😆

I just love technical prowess and skill, elegance and flair.

Pirlo 👌

I think Italian football and the national team have suffered quite a long and major decline, which I found sad to see… they still managed to win the Euros though and one player in particular shined brightly 😉 

The national side has been nowhere near the quality of that 2006 WC winning team/squad ever since though…

Glad to hear there’s a good crop of youngsters coming through…

They always had such an unbelievable selection of players to choose from, so many top class strikers (spoilt for choice!) back in the day but no longer…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allani said:

On paper I would say that that is hard to disagree with.  I think it is counter-balanced by the fact that our squad and our manager seem more in tune than at least one of the teams ranked on paper ahead of us.  Emery has us playing better than the sum of our parts and I don't think all the teams around / above us can say the same thing.  Will be interesting to see a similar comparison by the end of the month / window.  I just have a feeling in my bones that something big is about to drop (in a good way, a very good way).  But then I've probably had a similar feeling in each of the last 5 windows if not more!!! 🙂

Well… there was a guy on Neil’s podcast (love of Paul McGrath) who twice messaged in that a signing was likely in the next few days… and Neil was quite vocal about how he tends to be correct or spot on - has good information… so maybe we should ready ourselves for an announcement in the next few days…

I just think a “big” signing is more likely toward the end of the window and Unai has said we’re monitoring the market and will be ready to act at that time, if an opportunity arises…

Maybe we’ve managed to negotiate something earlier or it’s more of a “squad” signing…

1 hour ago, romavillan said:

Haha Cassano even in Genoa bought a house for his mom and mostly ate there as his fave Bari cuisine could not be had when he played for Sampdoria...

Crazy guy but so talented…

50 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I'd say we've done pretty well so far compared to most

F2eCUjBWQAIDuVz.thumb.jpeg.62c25e9e08aae24146f32f33ad4b324b.jpeg

Some teams are really phoning it in this window. It must be much harder than other seasons to get deals done in the Prem, some interesting moves across the continent and over to Saudi Arabia, meanwhile 6/7 Prem teams getting weaker. 

Based on rumours I'd be very worried if I supported Brentford (no Toney or Raya) Bournemouth (barely survived and signing unknowns or flops) Palace (Zaha gone, noone in) Everton (still a mess) Fulham (bad form, could lose Mitrovic) West Ham (sitting on a goldmine with nobody wanting to sign) and Wolves (spent the Neves money on end of loan flop obligations).

Those lot along with some of the old big 6, and the promoted sides, means really that anything below the top 10 currently is a real real failure this season. 

We've done so well in the market after doing so well to get into Europe. I'm so hopeful we can continue the momentum 

• Like 1

I think a lot of teams will be active at or right up until the final hours of the window…

Some scrambling around in desperation to get deals done, others maybe surprising a few with the players they manage to bring in…

It’s too early to call as to who will end up strengthening sufficiently or doing good business… who’s succeeded, who’s failed, who’s weaker, who’s much stronger… there’s still time and a LOT of business tends to get done toward the deadline…

I’m glad we’ve started living up to our PREPARED motto again… we are already  stronger… anything else would feel like a pleasant yet welcome “cherry on top”…

I do feel, if we can get even stronger or more formidable/dangerous… we should take advantage of opportunities to sign players that will give us even more of a helping hand… but I’m also quite happy with where we are at atm…

32 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Dream end to this window for me would be good loan moves for a few youngsters, Saudi club bids silly money for a squad player of ours and then signing Wan-Bissaka and De Ketelaere (or players similar to) 

Same really except not De Ketelaere

1 hour ago, allani said:

… Emery has us playing better than the sum of our parts and I don't think all the teams around / above us can say the same thing.  

This. Measuring squads has to include synergies, not just individual strengths. 

1 hour ago, villan95 said:

I'd say we've done pretty well so far compared to mo

I think Liverpool is getting seriously overrated this year. I could also see Tottenham being a shitshow. And I don’t think Brighton is going to be as much of a threat.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Some teams are really phoning it in this window. It must be much harder than other seasons to get deals done in the Prem, some interesting moves across the continent and over to Saudi Arabia, meanwhile 6/7 Prem teams getting weaker. 

Based on rumours I'd be very worried if I supported Brentford (no Toney or Raya) Bournemouth (barely survived and signing unknowns or flops) Palace (Zaha gone, noone in) Everton (still a mess) Fulham (bad form, could lose Mitrovic) West Ham (sitting on a goldmine with nobody wanting to sign) and Wolves (spent the Neves money on end of loan flop obligations).

Those lot along with some of the old big 6, and the promoted sides, means really that anything below the top 10 currently is a real real failure this season. 

We've done so well in the market after doing so well to get into Europe. I'm so hopeful we can continue the momentum 

Yes, and did you look at Pool? I don’t see how they can keep in top four.