Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Olsen kept a crucial clean sheet against Spurs. Yeah, he’s back up for a reason, but the desire to scapegoat him is getting pathetic. 

I think it's OK to have concerns about him. He might have kept one clean sheet, but to think he hasn't been worryingly costly elsewhere and looked shakey besides is the odd thing here imo.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

its really not though is it? that's 27 points based on last season, so 9 wins will turn to losses based on the keeper?

the negativity surrounding olsen is way out of proportion and needs to stop

Well it is the summer holidays after all… 

Just now, Rolta said:

I think it's OK to have concerns about him. He might have kept one clean sheet, but to think he hasn't been worryingly costly elsewhere and looked shakey besides is the odd thing here imo.

Oh yeah, don’t get me wrong, I’ve got my reservations and concerns too. There’s a big difference between criticism and inventing narratives about him costing us Europe or even league status. It’s out of proportion for someone whose only made 4 league appearances for us. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

The Villa fanbase always has to be unbelievably toxic towards 2-3 players. It's embarassing. Now that we're a good team it's clearly becoming quite difficult, given how the target is now the backup keeper.

So so toxic. How dare anybody criticize a player for putting in a bad performance. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

So so toxic. How dare anybody criticize a player for putting in a bad performance. 

Your Buendia shtick is beyond tiresome though. It's so ridiculous looks like trolling but don't think it is

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

There was anger and vitriol because he had the nerve to *play* in the bloody friendlies (where he ended up playing completely fine). It always goes far beyond valid criticism.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

The Villa fanbase always has to be unbelievably toxic towards 2-3 players. It's embarassing. Now that we're a good team it's clearly becoming quite difficult, given how the target is now the backup keeper.

A backup who’s made just 7 appearances, 4 in the league, gets a disproportionate amount of comments that go far beyond fair criticism. It’s also because of who signed him. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

In fairness that is the nature of every fan base, not just Villa. Every fan I know, no matter who they support, will tell you two or three of their players are shit

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

A backup who’s made just 7 appearances, 4 in the league, gets a disproportionate amount of comments that go far beyond far criticism. It’s also because of who signed him. 

Same with Digne and Coutinho.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Same with Digne and Coutinho.

That’s the elephant in the room. I don’t think we’d have nearly as many comments (over 70 pages for a backup keeper!) about Olsen had Deano or Unai signed him. Just a fairly ordinary backup option. Same with the obsession with Digne’s wages and with Coutinho - who I rarely agree with Gregg Evans, made a valid point that his signing boosted our standings and might have helped us bring in bigger names. Without derailing the thread too much, the fact that Unai is happy with all three names is telling. It’s a squad game after all. People need to move on from the disaster of Gerrard. 

Edited by The_Steve

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

A backup who’s made just 7 appearances, 4 in the league, gets a disproportionate amount of comments that go far beyond fair criticism. It’s also because of who signed him. 

This is an invented narrative too. I get the heebie jeebies when he plays in a way I haven't had since Nyland, and it has nothing to do with the shitty previous manager. It's because of how shakey he's looked in 92% of his appearances.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

That’s the elephant in the room. I don’t think we’d have nearly as many comments (over 70 pages for a backup keeper!) about Olsen had Deano or Unai signed him. Just a fairly ordinary backup option. Same with the obsession with Digne’s wages and with Coutinho - who I rarely agree with Gregg Evans, made a valid point that his signing boosted our standings and might have helped us bring in bigger names. Without derailing the thread too much, the fact that Unai is happy with all three names is telling. It’s a squad game after all. People need to move on from the disaster of Gerrard. 

As I said above, this is a huge reach. We all love Kamara and Carlos, I'm sure. Having concern about Digne's wages is also legit when he's our 2nd left back. Our 2nd left back shouldn't be the highest paid person in the squad (and neither should our past it attacking midfielder—the manager who signed them is irrelevant).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, picicata said:

In fairness that is the nature of every fan base, not just Villa. Every fan I know, no matter who they support, will tell you two or three of their players are shit

I lurk on several other team forums usually before we play them and don't see at same level relative to how we did under Emery. It's nuts 17th to 7th we shouldn't be slagging on any of the players. That leads to posts about not scoring enough goals last season that happily add the Gerrard games in the total rather than look at total under Emery

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, picicata said:

Funny how it's quite widespread among fanbases that teams are "replacing 2-3 absolutely useless players" away from being good. It's clearly not true.

McGinn and Luiz were among this group during the Gerr*ard era for instnace . Some of the crap I saw being hurled at McGinn in particular was shocking. Now he's arguably our best midfielder. Who knew that playing badly might be more nuanced than "he's starting, it's over because he's utter crap"?

There also seems to be an obsession, especially on Twitter, with overhauling the squad and signing a bunch of players in a window even if there really isn't a need to. That often causes more bad than good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Some site I never heard of before is linking us to Manure GK Matej Kovar

I checked the original Czech source. Speaks of interest in the vaguest terms. I don’t see us signing any goalkeeper unless we sell Olsen first. 

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Some site I never heard of before is linking us to Manure GK Matej Kovar

Apparently he isn’t good enough due to other clubs linked according to some… He looks like a good shot stopper and modern day GK who’s comfortable on the ball, Hull have been linked so that makes him not high enough quality apparently to consider as a 2nd choice 😂

Edited by thabucks

1 minute ago, wishywashy said:

Funny how it's quite widespread among fanbases that teams are "replacing 2-3 absolutely useless players" away from being good. It's clearly not true.

McGinn and Luiz were among this group during the Gerr*ard era for instnace . Some of the crap I saw being hurled at McGinn in particular was shocking. Now he's arguably our best midfielder. Who knew that playing badly might be more nuanced than "he's starting, it's over because he's utter crap"?

There also seems to be an obsession, especially on Twitter, with overhauling the squad and signing a bunch of players in a window even if there really isn't a need to. That often causes more bad than good.

Can't wait for Felix or Torres to join and get slagged off just so people can get their transfer dopamine hit. I don't think either are a good fit for several reasons but new player obsessed don't care