Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'd be happy with either of them.  Maybe even both considering how bad our depth is in attacking positions.  Torres could fill in through the middle if Ollie got injured couldn't he?  I think we need a player that can normally play off Ollie but cover up front when needed plus a winger as well.

Yeah ferran would be excellent for this role and nico can play on right where Bailey was , front three of Torres,Watkins,Williams with Luiz,Kamara, Mcginn as the midfield trio

COOKING 🔥

7 minutes ago, RicRic said:

If its a case of silly question on my behalf, just to point i have stated in there that some have said barnes and no to Ferran , so wanted to get an overview on who everyone would prefer. 

And yes i agree it looks a silly question as ferran is way clear of barnes in my opinion 

Nico Williams 🇪🇸 and Ferran Torres🇪🇸  are the two we MUST sign for our frontline, we need to snap u both. 

Sorry mate - should have been clearer.  I've been following your posts on this thread and others and agree with most of your views on potential incomings.  So I know you were posing a (mainly) rhetorical question.

My slight worry about Williams and Torres playing with Ollie is whether there will be games when all three will blow cold.  In the sense that (a bit like now) if teams are playing a high line against us - those three breaking at speed would be fearsome.  They'd probably be just as impressive if the opposition defenders drop back but leave a gap to their midfield - in that all three of those players could drop deep into space and attack the last line with pace.  My concern is what happens when teams drop deep and flood the edge of their box with a view to hitting us on the break.  I feel that slightly negates the key strength that all three have (pace) and I am not sure whether they could unpick a packed penalty area.  So I think we'd struggle like we did against Wolves but be frightening against teams that bring the game to us.

49 minutes ago, allani said:

Harvey Barnes - 25 years old, 1 international cap, 0 goals

Ferran Torres - 23 years old, 35 international caps, 15 goals

I don't even know how this is a question...

But then people say that 12 goals in 39 PL matches is exceptional but 9 goals in 28 is bang average.

Before anyone says but Barnes has scored 12 for a team that are probably going to get relegated - just remember that Leicester and Villa have scored the exact same number of goals this season.  Leicester's issue all season has been their defence (they have conceded 22 more goals than us - which is 50% more) not their attack.

Barnes has only scored 34 league goals in 145 appearances - this is the first time he’s gone in double figures. He’s by no means a bad player at all, just not someone I think we’d sign for the systems we use and the ridiculous fee. Barnes doesn't hold the ball well and gives fouls away too. I think we'd want more technically minded disciplined wingers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, allani said:

Sorry mate - should have been clearer.  I've been following your posts on this thread and others and agree with most of your views on potential incomings.  So I know you were posing a (mainly) rhetorical question.

My slight worry about Williams and Torres playing with Ollie is whether there will be games when all three will blow cold.  In the sense that (a bit like now) if teams are playing a high line against us - those three breaking at speed would be fearsome.  They'd probably be just as impressive if the opposition defenders drop back but leave a gap to their midfield - in that all three of those players could drop deep into space and attack the last line with pace.  My concern is what happens when teams drop deep and flood the edge of their box with a view to hitting us on the break.  I feel that slightly negates the key strength that all three have (pace) and I am not sure whether they could unpick a packed penalty area.  So I think we'd struggle like we did against Wolves but be frightening against teams that bring the game to us.

That said Torres and Williams both have a bit more guile than Ramsey and Bailey - so maybe they would find more space.  Plus defenders would have to be marking all three of them so that might also open up opportunities or allow Moreno space out wide for example.  So maybe I should just stop worrying.

New right back and 2 new wingers.

Genuinely have no idea what is gonna happen with the striker situation.

Archer isn't playing ahead of Watkins and I don't think it's good for him at this point in his career and development to sit on a bench and play a cup game every now and then.

Edited by Pinebro

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This I agree with. I just cannot see us spunking loads of money on Barnes. He's bang average.

The only way I think we might be interested is if the fee is low, say because of a relegation release clause or something, then I could see us looking at the opportunity to bring him in as a 'homegrown' player we could actually use, coach, and maybe even turn a profit on. I think he definitely has attributes that Emery could work with, the squad could certainly use a little more pace, I just don't see us chucking a big fee at him when there'd be better value elsewhere.

• Like 2

Dont see this as a goer in my eyes, theyd want top dollar & he is abit hit & miss as a player, always turns up against tho. We already have an inconsistent wi ger in Bailey & he'd probably cost twice as much . Sooner spend £50 million on Nico Williams. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allani said:

None taken no problemo , yeah interesting take but we have seen similar for liverpool with mane, salah and firninho in that trio attack mode, but an attack of all three where we can rely on goals for each one of them would be perfect, we can always play two across and switch to a four in midfield if needed or if we feel the game is swinging in that way you described. But we then have flexibility. 

Edited by RicRic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, allani said:

That said Torres and Williams both have a bit more guile than Ramsey and Bailey - so maybe they would find more space.  Plus defenders would have to be marking all three of them so that might also open up opportunities or allow Moreno space out wide for example.  So maybe I should just stop worrying.

Always good to cover all potential fears so the worry is sometimes needed 😂 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Wtf am I witnessing - an agreement???? 

could it be love 💕??

The delicious irony being that the lazy links being agreed upon over came from two of the more credible reporters around.

3 hours ago, Pinebro said:

New right back and 2 new wingers.

Genuinely have no idea what is gonna happen with the striker situation.

Archer isn't playing ahead of Watkins and I don't think it's good for him at this point in his career and development to sit on a bench and play a cup game every now and then.

Striker situation? Don't forget we still have Wesley on the books. 5 strikers all in.

39 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Final one for the day 

Which one you picking and why for that CM spot 👀

Mateo Guendouzi 🇫🇷 

Mikel Merino 🇪🇸 

Giovanni Lo Celso 🇦🇷 

Geundouzi for me, all action can do everything well & he is a unit & also worked with Emery before. I also think he will be in a Villa shirt next season also, no inside info, just a hunch 😉

• Like 1