Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

6 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

One of the best defensive right backs in the world, a nico Williams in front of wan bissaka makes so much sense for our set up 

He is shite.

His positional awareness is very weak. He is laughably bad at defending crosses at his near post. His inablility to sense incoming danger is also a huge problem with him.

Him being a slide tackle merchant doesn't make him a good defensive fullback. A lot more to defending than 1v1 duels.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, burchy said:

If budget was no issue I’d have Goncalves at LM instead of Kang-In and then look to try and get someone like Asensio or Dybala or Felix for the SS role, perhaps supported by a young pacey RW purchase too. 

I’m just not sure we have the budget though.

As for Kokcu, he’s a 90mins, game after game midfield terrier so I think he’d definitely be able to cut it in the premier league.

Kokcu seems a lot like John McGinn to me. He'd need to have significantly better technique to be worth it for me. 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

This team gets top 4

4DEC30FC-614B-49CD-9CE6-FCDF0F775C6D.jpeg

Probably not. The defensive RB in Emery's system has to have passing ability, AWB doesn't have that.

LoCelso if signed would be a Luiz alternative. Also I think he's not that good. 

That team is weaker on set pieces then our current first choice line up. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, John said:

Let's get the old band back together. ;) It worked with Ashley Young, but Milner is 37 too, I think if he's likely to go back to an old club, it will be to Dirty Leeds for a swansong in the Championship next season. 

How about a cheeky bid of £30m? 🤔

If it’s genuinely cheeky, yes. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

Probably not. The defensive RB in Emery's system has to have passing ability, AWB doesn't have that.

There is just no way we're going to look at AWB and thank f*** for that.

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Cabt believe on social media and villa groups alit of fans are turning their nosss up at vlahovic ans that hw will be a flop in england because he doesn't have pace. 

Madness. He would bw a unbelievable coup if we pulled it off

We'd have to change our style of play. If he played with Watkins, we'd be exclusively a counter attacking team. If we played him with a no 10 we'd have to keep possession higher up in the opposition half. 

Tactically Vlahovic doesn't make much sense. For him to be successful, he'd need the team and tactic geared towards his strengths. Emery won't change everything just for him.

4 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Lo Celso is predominantly an attacking midfielder; he doesn't play as deep as Luiz.  Emery most often played him in the second striker position or in one of the wide roles cutting in.

16 hours ago, wishywashy said:

Madrid do want to keep him, though? They're trying to get him on a new contract as his current one expires in the summer, but talks have been slow (Madrid have offered less than his original contract, signed when he was being touted as a possible future Ballon D'or winner)

That's perfectly fair, the lad might still have all the hunger and desire to do really well and keep playing at the top level, I don't want to assume anything negative about him. Just as a general rule I think you'd want to catch players on the way up rather than the way down. I'd hate to find ourselves in a Jack Rodwell situation ala Sunderland is all. 

5 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

We'd have to change our style of play. If he played with Watkins, we'd be exclusively a counter attacking team. If we played him with a no 10 we'd have to keep possession higher up in the opposition half. 

Tactically Vlahovic doesn't make much sense. For him to be successful, he'd need the team and tactic geared towards his strengths. Emery won't change everything just for him.

I think we can be successful yes we might have to adapt abit and find middle ground but its something different to what we have which is what most successful teams do. They dont play one way

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think we can be successful yes we might have to adapt abit and find middle ground but its something different to what we have which is what most successful teams do. They dont play one way

Agreed, we have a great way of playing but if that is all we can do then we will be a one trick pony and teams will learn to nullify us.  I'm not suggesting we should have loads of oppositions, play many different ways but we do need an option here or there to change things up.  Plus all games are different depending on whether teams are playing the low block or high block against us, whether we are dominating the game or on the back foot, whether we need to get a late goal or defend from conceding late on.  Playing one way will soon be found out, only the elite teams can still push through playing one way because their quality overcomes most oppositions but even then they are adaptable.  We have a method of playing that works, but we need an option and that means some different styles of player and tactical options.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Lo Celso is predominantly an attacking midfielder; he doesn't play as deep as Luiz.  Emery most often played him in the second striker position or in one of the wide roles cutting in.

We all of his highlights from Villareal are him picking up the ball deep and bringing the ball out and mostly getting fouled. At Tottenham they tried to use him as a attacking midfielder and he was terrible, so they moved him into midfield where he was a decent. He isn't good enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

True, but most teams have a preferred style of play. Our preferred style currently is pass around in our own half, invite the press, then move the ball forward quickly into the space made available through the press. This is where the majority of our goals, and chance Come from.

Really Ollie doesn't need someone alongside him to hold it up, because he can do that himself. The reason we are better with Buendia is more because he occupies the half space between the defence and midfield and provides a shorter option to Ollie. Vlahoci would want to be where Ollie is. But Vlahovic doesn't have Ollies speed which is vital in pushing back opposition defensive lines (which creates more space for Buendia). Now if we had Bailey wide right (or someone similar) we could use him to stretch the play, then Vlahovic could do the hold up play in the centre.

But that means dropping Ollie. Personally I think 75 million is better spent elsewhere. Namely a right / central midfielder, and right wide forward / winger.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Cabt believe on social media and villa groups alit of fans are turning their nosss up at vlahovic ans that hw will be a flop in england because he doesn't have pace. 

Madness. He would bw a unbelievable coup if we pulled it off

To be fair i've seen the opposite, both from our own, and opposition fans, they don't think we have a chance in hell of getting him.

Of the player linked so far, that a realistic. I'd go with:

Nico Williams - Right wide forward. Pacy, durable, skillful, keeps his head up, scores and assists. 40 mill

Guendouzi - Rigth midfield. Good ball carrier, good under pressure, creative passer, flamboyant, scores goals. Doesn't give the ball away a lot, tenacious and hard working. Real competition for McGinn. Probably better than McGinn! 25 mill

Maxence LaCroix - Right centre back and right back. 6 foot 3, so good in the air. Really quick. Defensively he is the right sided Tyrone Mings. Good at carrying the ball out of defense, will prefer to clear it then get caught in possession. Play shorter passes compared to Mings, but good interplay with short passes. Prefers centre back, can play right back.  30mill

New back up keeper. Don't rate Olsen.

Williams and LaCroix would fit perfectly into Emery's system. In defense from now I'd play Mings alongside Carlos, with Konsa Right back. When LaCroix comes in he and Konsa can compete for that right back slot, and also with Carlos for the right CB slot. Keep Chambers as cover.

Williams will be the upgrade on Bailey, and hopefully show Bailey what he's supposed to be doing there. Bailey would stay as back up.

Guendouzi would provide competition to both wide midfielders, along with Buendia. But Buendia and Coutinho would be if we wanted a change of tactics to playing with a number 10.

3 big men means we are better on set pieces in both penalty areas.

I'd bring back Archer, Ramsey and Iroegbunam. If we get Europa conference then they'd get games. If not I'd loan out Duran and Ramsey.

Iroegbunam and Archer I rate highly. Both will at least be premier league standard players in couple of years, and may be ready next season.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair i've seen the opposite, both from our own, and opposition fans, they don't think we have a chance in hell of getting him.

I think due to the current issues at Juventus that he maybe available/want to move, but I doubt it would be to us. Too many other big hitters would jump at the opportunity.

5 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Of the player linked so far, that a realistic. I'd go with:

Nico Williams - Right wide forward. Pacy, durable, skillful, keeps his head up, scores and assists. 40 mill

Guendouzi - Rigth midfield. Good ball carrier, good under pressure, creative passer, flamboyant, scores goals. Doesn't give the ball away a lot, tenacious and hard working. Real competition for McGinn. Probably better than McGinn! 25 mill

Maxence LaCroix - Right centre back and right back. 6 foot 3, so good in the air. Really quick. Defensively he is the right sided Tyrone Mings. Good at carrying the ball out of defense, will prefer to clear it then get caught in possession. Play shorter passes compared to Mings, but good interplay with short passes. Prefers centre back, can play right back.  30mill

New back up keeper. Don't rate Olsen.

Williams and LaCroix would fit perfectly into Emery's system. In defense from now I'd play Mings alongside Carlos, with Konsa Right back. When LaCroix comes in he and Konsa can compete for that right back slot, and also with Carlos for the right CB slot. Keep Chambers as cover.

Williams will be the upgrade on Bailey, and hopefully show Bailey what he's supposed to be doing there. Bailey would stay as back up.

Guendouzi would provide competition to both wide midfielders, along with Buendia. But Buendia and Coutinho would be if we wanted a change of tactics to playing with a number 10.

3 big men means we are better on set pieces in both penalty areas.

I'd bring back Archer, Ramsey and Iroegbunam. If we get Europa conference then they'd get games. If not I'd loan out Duran and Ramsey.

Iroegbunam and Archer I rate highly. Both will at least be premier league standard players in couple of years, and may be ready next season.

drooling dog.jpg

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

True, but most teams have a preferred style of play. Our preferred style currently is pass around in our own half, invite the press, then move the ball forward quickly into the space made available through the press. This is where the majority of our goals, and chance Come from.

Really Ollie doesn't need someone alongside him to hold it up, because he can do that himself. The reason we are better with Buendia is more because he occupies the half space between the defence and midfield and provides a shorter option to Ollie. Vlahoci would want to be where Ollie is. But Vlahovic doesn't have Ollies speed which is vital in pushing back opposition defensive lines (which creates more space for Buendia). Now if we had Bailey wide right (or someone similar) we could use him to stretch the play, then Vlahovic could do the hold up play in the centre.

But that means dropping Ollie. Personally I think 75 million is better spent elsewhere. Namely a right / central midfielder, and right wide forward / winger.

Even if we don't go for Vlahovic (which I think is unlikely anyway), it shows the calibre of players the club want to go for. Joao Felix, Ferran Torres, Vlahovic and now Asensio, we're at least shopping in the right aisle.

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

He isn't good enough.

Just on this dismissal of players based on them not working in a specific team, set-up or manager - many were saying that Mings, Konsa, McGinn, Dougie, Buendia and Watkins weren't good enough under our previous manager and were asking for them to be replaced. I don't think it's far-fetched to think most players that come in will go up a level or two under Emery and maybe end up being good enough for where we want to be.